PDA

View Full Version : Dominance War V - 3D - Zykras - God of CG

Zykras
03-31-2011, 05:56 AM
Well this is my first contest ever ... actually the first time I try to show myself in public xD
I'm a bit late, but this contest looks so awesome that I wanted to try it out. I'll also use this to test out new techniques in 2D and 3D.
I really hope I can find the time to finish this (I started 3D one year ago and got serious about drawing 2 years ago, so I'm going to learn new stuff while I create)

Could some Mod/Admin change the title of this topic in "God of CG"?

The Idea behind my god:
He is the god of CG xD
He has two sides, he is an artist and a technician, his right side is technical - his left side is artistic.
He has a huge renderfarm on his right arm and controls the creation of new things with his left arm and his hologram panel. After finishing up his ideas he starts the renderfarm and creates stuff.
He has also a powerful fan covering his hard-working heart that is constantly burning from his passion to create new things.
And he only has one artistic eye which includes our CGSociety logo :)

I will include the most recent concept here too:

http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/4516/backtorootsconceptshow2.jpg

Zykras
03-31-2011, 06:42 AM
As I said, I'm trying out different techniques. And a new concept came to my mind!
THE CG GOD xD
You know, the one that gives us the power to work long and sleep less. Also he is the one who controls every 3D app and if you somehow displease him, he will just crash your app for no reason AND maybe your hard drive with your whole work (but only in case he's really pissed.)

http://img810.imageshack.us/img810/8701/concept2.jpg

Zykras
03-31-2011, 03:48 PM
Okay I think this might be an important update, because I start to get an idea what I want to do:

http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/9417/concept5.jpghttp://img810.imageshack.us/img810/511/concept4.jpg

So as I said, this is the God of CG ^^
He has this holographic panel around his body to manipulate everything with one hand and his other hand will "cast"/create the object.
I'm still not sure what the armature will look like, but I liked the idea that he has fans to cool off his hard-working body and heart.
The basic concept is stable I guess, I'll start now to gather references and information around armature, hard surface design, etc.

If would love to hear some ideas/critique because I can change a lot at this stage.

Zykras
03-31-2011, 07:14 PM
Wow I really enjoy this :D
So this will be the last update before I start a concept that is more "finished" and not just a sketch, because I think I gathered the elements I'd like to include. It's time to study references and getting an idea for the technical stuff.

The main concept remains the same - God of Technology/CG/Creation (not sure about the right name yet)
I thought about my shapes and it was kinda boring and not very "godlike" so I thought why not include some big masses? And now his right "finishing" arm has a big renderfarm and will be very mechanic and his left "art" arm is more organic (because he has to move quick over his hologram palets)
I think I might include a real story behind this god soon. The balance between technology and art, etc. ^^
At this stage I tend to work very confusing and fast, maybe I should slow down and do a proper presentation.

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/9811/concept67show.jpg

Zykras
03-31-2011, 11:28 PM
Well ... I can't find anyone to give me some critique so I asked my friends ... they destroyed my work.
"This doesn't look like a god at all. More like a little servant."
"What is this shit on his back?"
"Oh wow his chest looks like Iron Man, very creative ..."
"CG god wtf? Where did you get this concept?"
"How would he even be able to carry so much stuff?!"
etc.
etc.

Then they started to give me ideas for other concepts, with backgrounds and environements ...
I know my work is not the best compared to other people here but I thought that it had at least some interesting elements ...
Also nobody seems to see this thread ^^
So I guess I'll just continue to post updates and try to make the concept better.

http://img717.imageshack.us/img717/3108/conceptsofar.jpg

Well ... I tried to include a huge fan at his back to give him more "godlike" mass and interesting details to look at, also this huge fan is necessary to cool his rendering arm ...
And I tried to include our logo to his chest.

The more I think about this concept ... is this just a stupid and ridiculous idea? I really would like to know that before I start any 3D work.

idiotcat
04-01-2011, 12:01 AM
It's a shame no one is posting in this thread, SO I'LL DO IT~ 8D
The comments your friends gave are hilarious haha, but I actually really like the second concept sketch that you had (kind of reminds me of MGS art), the wires that come out and over the shoulders are cool; if he was kind of made from frames and just wires and wasn't solid it might be interesting - there are alot of solid-god concepts here.

In the latest sketches I like the silhouette with the giant shoulder and the ones with the fan at the back (reminds me of Bahamut from FFX - I think I play too many games XD)

Anyway that's my thoughts, if it helps? haha

Zykras
04-01-2011, 12:13 AM
That actually helped a lot :)
Now I have a new idea I can try out! Reworking the second concept with the one I have now.

Tahry
04-01-2011, 12:33 AM
Also love the second concept you posted, mainly what was inside the body though and how you could see right through him in some parts. The pose was also really cool.

In the latest one I'm most liking the little symbol you've done and the two on the very right side, the bottom one especially. Those post makes him look like a scientist, and just a really awesome dark/intriguing undertone.

This is probably one of my favourite characters so far, I can't wait to see more (:

Zykras
04-01-2011, 12:54 AM
Hey, thank you very much :)
I actually liked the second image too because it was really quick and just a free idea before I started to block myself with details. I also think it might look really awesome in 3D, so I tried a mixed concept between both.

http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/2227/conceptmix.jpg

I really need to get reference pictures, most of the stuff I did right now was from imagination and sometimes it's pretty obvious.
And I'm really stuck with his right arm, I have no idea how to include a massive mechanical thing without breaking his overall look yet.

Tahry
04-01-2011, 01:14 AM
If it's big maybe try and make the metal really sleek, like it grows out from his arm instead of being just stuck on?

Possibly :3 I'm a bad explainer!

pixel-chick
04-01-2011, 01:37 AM
Your sketches are very cool, i love the poses. The idea of putting the logo on the chest like that is pretty creative. I also like the fan idea cooling off his arm. My favorite concept is the bottom right one in the 2nd picture you posted (with the big fan). Perhaps he can be floating off the ground instead of having legs?

Zykras
04-01-2011, 02:19 AM
Sorry for spamming sketches, but I just can't stop :hmm:
Actually it's the first I use these dark silhouettes ... and I really like sketching this way (So this contest already thought me something new and useful :D)

http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/8093/conceptdark.jpg

But I have to stop doing this ... this thread gets messy ^^

@pixel-chick
I will definately try this flying thing out in my next series of concepts! I hope afterwards I'm ready to finish up a final concept and start sculpting out my character.

Nethermind
04-01-2011, 08:31 AM
I think it's a very unique character. I do like the direction of the 2nd drawing and also the floating control panel holograms concept, especially that pose.

Zykras
04-01-2011, 03:46 PM
Okay, I promise my next image will be something with more finished details, I think I'm done with the basic idea. His body will be a mix between the second concept and something more solid. I might also think about more about the pose, to make him look more godlike.

http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/1605/speedconcept.jpg

Zykras
04-01-2011, 07:00 PM
Well it's still a sketch, but I think it's better now ^^
Actually I stopped playing around with tools and new techniques and tried my "old school" drawing approach listening to some epic music: EPIC (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2c1GjQRCKCw&feature=related)
Then I went trough some other works and concepts and realized that my "God" is not very godlike ... so I just tried to give him more mass.
And I changed the idea of a fixed hologram panel, he is a god, he can create holographic panels with his left arm now ^^

http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/4516/backtorootsconceptshow2.jpg

Zykras
04-01-2011, 09:01 PM
I'm trying to figure out some details and how to connect the big fan to his body.

http://img850.imageshack.us/img850/4516/backtorootsconceptshow2.jpg

plaidklaus
04-02-2011, 02:52 PM
Good start you have here. It's great to see when people play around with sketches and roughs a lot before moving on to a final idea. I tend to jump too quickly into final designs. Keep it up, I'll be watching.

Zykras
04-02-2011, 04:19 PM
@plaidklaus

Ha thanks :)
I really love playing with ideas but sometimes it can be very dangerous if there are deadlines, so I try to stop at some point and just go into details. The only problem I have is that I'm not very confident about my works because I usually don't show them to other people ... I should do contests like this more often to improve with critique.
I do show this stuff to my friends and sometimes my mother but she is a doctor and usually destroys me (anatomy wrong, body cant move like this, perspective wrong, etc. ^^)

VictorFornes
04-03-2011, 01:21 PM
first to all... congratz for all teh search that guide you to this last concept.

I was looking all the process, and i agree this last idea is the best.

Talking about shapes, i like the huge circular shape in his back (fan i know, just tryinig to abstract to forms), but i believe is mandatory to the rest of the shapes, and maybe some interaction between that circular shape and the rest of the body will give you more integration...

How?... maybe puting some boots with arcs that follow the perimeter of the circle, in the chest, being the center of the circle, the eye looks for candy there, etc.

Hope this help.

Peace.

rattlesnake
04-03-2011, 04:39 PM
hello !!, well seems like you're getting really good ideas here, I really love your sketching , the side view of the character looks very cool, very stylized, I like the big circle shape on the back, Ill be following you thread man :thumbsup:
oh some questions :scream: , do you already figureout what kinda weapon is he going to use?
are you going for swords and stuff like that or laser beams gunz?

:bounce:

Zykras
04-03-2011, 06:13 PM
@VictorFornes (http://forums.cgsociety.org/member.php?u=296328)

Interesting thoughts, I might give it a try soon! I have to admit that every single feedback here usually gave me great ideas to improve. I can't work alone in the long term ^^
I'm not sure if this concept phase takes too long, but I really enjoy it and I learn so much during the process :)

@rattlesnake

Yep, his "weapon" will be attached to his right arm, it's a "real-life"-render engine. So during a fight he could produce anything, of course it would take longer to create a mechanic pet or even an army. But during fast battles he could shoot all sorts of geometry at the enemy or create new weapons on the go (Maybe even charge the render-energy for a huge bolt)

---

Well for anyone wondering: Right now I'm studying anatomy like a mad man to be able to create his wired body and muscles in a realistic way even though he won't be human.
I also never EVER textured an entire character/scene, to be honest I didn't even know what normal maps do :argh:
And that's the awesome part: I learn so much during this contest ... it's like a super tight course. I might take much longer than any other person here to finish my project, but it will be a blast to learn all this new stuff during the process.

rattlesnake
04-03-2011, 06:48 PM
@VictorFornes (http://forums.cgsociety.org/member.php?u=296328)

@rattlesnake

Yep, his "weapon" will be attached to his right arm, it's a "real-life"-render engine. So during a fight he could produce anything, of course it would take longer to create a mechanic pet or even an army. But during fast battles he could shoot all sorts of geometry at the enemy or create new weapons on the go (Maybe even charge the render-energy for a huge bolt)

wow thats sounds super cool!!! :applause: :applause: hmm seems like a worthy rival for my god..hahaha...very nice idea man!

:lightbulb hey search for the "body browser" at google...it may help you learning anatomy, for me its been a great help .. :beer: :beer:

rattlesnake
04-03-2011, 06:50 PM
oh seems they changed it for a cow!!!..haha :scream: :scream:
dam...i cant find the old human one they had:

http://bodybrowser.googlelabs.com/

rattlesnake
04-03-2011, 06:56 PM
oh my bad..seems u can swith to a woman or man too!!!..awesome isnt it..let me know if it worked for you :beer:

(sorry man , didnt mean to spam your thread , apologies) :blush:

Zykras
04-03-2011, 07:13 PM
Spamming my thread? That's AWESOME resource, exactly what I was looking for! Thank you so much.
Now I can connect alle the books and tutorials I have with a 3D view - just awesome, this will help me a lot :D

kogen
04-04-2011, 09:03 AM
Cool piece so far. I like his right arm. What about splitting the huge fan on his back into two or three smaller fans that might be attached to the back... just my two cents. ;)

MFTituS
04-04-2011, 12:59 PM
haha, you deserve a special price just for the name "god of cg" - made me smile :)

i like the progress. especially the last right sketch on the first page looks very strong - love the grahical look of it. it fades a bit with your new version where this red chest construction becomes to big and prominent like a huge piece of armor.

Zykras
04-04-2011, 02:32 PM
Thanks for the input!

@kogen
That's definately something to try out, great idea :)
Right now I'm learning all the technical stuff that will be necessary to work in a strong pipeline, so the concept itself can still change.

@MFTituS
Yeah that's what I thought :(
And it's the main reason why I'm struggling with my concept, on one side we have this very "cool/dark scientist" character but on the other side we have the "god of cg".
I'm still not sure how "big" my god should be. But that's my "godlike" issue, I also posted a thread about this issue, maybe you guys could check it out and give some more ideas?

But the cool thing right now is all this technical stuff I have to learn. Sometimes I really enjoy this because I can improve very fast and it's more like math and I can't make mistakes if I'm concentrated (1+1 is always 2)
Concept art and finding an idea is one of the hardest tasks for me ... I really love playing around with ideas, but it's so hard to find something "good" (especially with rules for a contest)

lepilo
04-04-2011, 03:58 PM
Love the silhouette ! Keep it up

davidramonilustracion
04-06-2011, 10:33 PM
Hello

I really like your god concept, I think the fan on his back is a great idea.

Go ahead. Bye

CGTalk Moderation
04-06-2011, 10:33 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.