PDA

View Full Version : How Do You????

Jonathan
10-22-2003, 05:55 PM
Set up layout so that I can use my mouse wheel to zoom in and out instead of the greater/less than keys???

Bytehawk
10-22-2003, 05:58 PM
good idea

dunno how though

SplineGod
10-22-2003, 06:09 PM
Ctrl Alt LMB is zoom in. Dont know if it can be changed. The mouse wheel on mine changes between move, rotate etc.

MorBioS
10-22-2003, 06:32 PM
ctrl + alt + wheelmouse = zoom in/out

PHILL_JAMES2000
10-22-2003, 06:33 PM
hmm...it zooms on mine, dunno how, though, i've not changed any settings ... :shrug: i'll looksee...

wgreenlee1
10-22-2003, 06:50 PM
i mean im not trying to be rude or anything here(and Im sorry about that if i do sound rude) but they(NT) need to change it to be like mayas...
i know you guys dont like to hear that but after going into maya and useing only the alt key+right,middle,left for pan,zoom,move going into lightwave seems very clumsy to me,i have to actually use the icons to move and stuff plus the gimble lock is horrifiying when all you do is reset the perspective workspace in maya if you get lost

just a thought and i dont mean to sound combative or anything and sorry if i do sound that way

Bytehawk
10-23-2003, 08:40 AM
I wonder too why we can't just use the alt key instead of a combination of two
or customise it the way we want...

VirtualFM
10-23-2003, 03:31 PM
wgreenlee: Why should it be more like Maya and not like any other? You see, every software has it's shortkeys to orbit/zoom/pan around in the views and it's diferent in all of them. Softimage, Maya, Max, LW, MotionBuilder, etc... But after 10 minutes in the same software it just comes back to you...

I don't see anything wrong with LW shortkey and they are pretty fast to use:

Press this keys with the LMB and
ALT - Rotate/Orbit (Pan in 2D views)
ALT+CTRL - Zoom In/Out
ALT+SHIFT - Pan in Perspective views (modeler's too)

Actually, I prefer this method using only one mousebutton that the other Maya method of using only one key and 3 mouse buttons. I find it more difficult to use 3 fingers on the 3 buttons of the mouse than just one... The mouse hand has much more things to do than to have to bother with which finger is on which button :-)

Anyway, It's not like you are using 3 3D programs at the same time, is it?! Personally, I think it's much more confusing jumping to Photoshop and LW all the time because of the zoom/pan!

wgreenlee1
10-23-2003, 05:19 PM
im not saying it should be like maya more than anyther but see...
in maya i run:

space bar=marking menus,alt+right/middle/left mouse=pan/zoom/move
with my left thumb
shift and ctrl are index finger but seldom used

the mouse is always in action anyways with component and object moves anyways so the workarea is the same but only with a alt key to press so my right hand is the one always in conrol of the actions,the other way you have to rely on ur left hand (1,2,or 3 keys for one action plus the mouse button)which i dont want to look down just to move the screen,
my thumb is right there spacebar/alt back and forth,just seems easier to me

less left hand for the same moves in the screen

if just find it easier/faster to move the work area but im not saying everyone should like it,it just makes more sense to me.

no im not useing more than one application at one time but i do switch back and forth daily so the methods are archaic to me and its just IMO
:thumbsup:

VirtualFM
10-23-2003, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by wgreenlee1
the mouse is always in action anyways with component and object moves anyways so the workarea is the same but only with a alt key to press so my right hand is the one always in conrol of the actions,the other way you have to rely on ur left hand (1,2,or 3 keys for one action plus the mouse button)which i dont want to look down just to move the screen,
my thumb is right there spacebar/alt back and forth,just seems easier to me

Well, I think it's a matter of personal taste and/or habit. Yes, I have my left thumb always switching between Left Alt and Space. Then it's just a matter of using one of the other fingers that are hanging there doing nothing :) to press CTRL or SHIFT. I find it easier than having to use 3 fingers on the mouse buttons. That's beacause I always use the right hand longer finger to use either the mouseweel or the RMB. So, having to use 3 buttons imply that I rearange my work habits to use the longer finger always in the middle and use the other one (next to the little one) to use Menus. And that's is not very likely to happen soon...

Originally posted by wgreenlee1
no im not useing more than one application at one time but i do switch back and forth daily so the methods are archaic to me and its just IMO

You will go nuts changing from LW to MotionBuilder every hour!!! :surprised

SplineGod
10-23-2003, 07:45 PM
I find that using Alt (whatever) to rotate, pan and zoom are pretty easy. I always use hotkeys anyways. :)

wgreenlee1
10-23-2003, 08:11 PM
You will go nuts changing from LW to MotionBuilder every hour!!!

yeah really....:surprised

telamon
10-23-2003, 09:28 PM
ctrl+alt changes my keyboard layout from French to English then to Russian. I could change the hotkey but I also need the other combination ctrl+shft (many shortcuts behind that with MS Word).

Therefore < and > are OK for me :shrug:

VirtualFM
10-23-2003, 11:06 PM
My keyboard layout is exactly CTRL+SHIFT, wich solves the LW problem. I just use word for little else than reading documents other people send.

Was there a reason you changed the shorcut to CTRL+ALT? The default is ALT+SHIFT. That is not as used in LW/Modeler and maybe solves your Word problem.

Actually, I didn' even know it was possible to use CTRL+ALT to change the keyboard. At least it's not possible in W2K.

Triple G
10-24-2003, 08:07 AM
Interesting...I just went into Layout, and discovered that in OSX, the scroll wheel does some interesting things:

Option(Alt)+Scroll Wheel = zoom in/out of viewports
Control+Scroll Wheel = scrub forward/back on timeline
Scroll Wheel by itself = cycle between Move and Rotate tools

I knew about the last one, but the first two are new to me....pretty cool! :thumbsup:

*edit* even more coolness...those commands work in the Graph Editor, too! Rock on! :buttrock:

Jonathan
10-24-2003, 07:01 PM
You're right. Holding down the alt key while rotating the wheel does work.

It's all about workflow. I often switch back and forth between Lightwave and Messiah. I'd like for the all of the keys and control to be nearly identical so that my workflow is unhampered by change in programs. When I first got XSI xperience, the first thing I proceeded to do was to make the keys identical to what I used in Layout and modeler. Little did I know that the demo didn't allow it so I put it down and never touched it again; sure poor excuse to impede learning, however its not like I need XSI anyway.

Yep, holding the alt key for rotating is quick and handy.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 10:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.