PDA

View Full Version : Makin stars - variable color/material?

lehthanis
03-30-2011, 03:34 PM
Trying to figure out how to make a variable colored starfield.

I've got a large sphere with normals flipped. particle flow set to create randomly scaled spheres emitted from the inside of the large sphere. Large sphere set to not render.

I have my material set to self-illumination and I wanted to give it a colored noise map to the self-illumination filter color block...but thats mapped to each sphere spherically instead of the whole particle system...Is there a way to map different materials to different particles in one system based on something or perhaps map the noise map to the entire particle system spherically instead of each particle spherically?

Or will I have to create different particle systems each with a different static material?

JohnnyRandom
03-31-2011, 04:39 AM
Assuming you are using particle flow, you can create a multi sub-object material, create however many variations of your material, assign that to your material static operator, enable assign Mat ID and either choose cycle or random. Pretty sure this can't be done with the legacy systems.

EDIT: Ah nearly forgot, you should check out Last Jedi Outpost, Pavel has some really cool tools for stars, trails, glows, colors, ect. Even one called Milky Way :)

CGTalk Moderation
03-31-2011, 04:39 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.