PDA

View Full Version : Character creation...

Grgeon
03-30-2011, 06:57 AM
Houdini is so well known for it's effect tools and procedural process, but i'm curious if we'll see a push on the character side of things.

Would be nice to see more tutorials/training on things like

Game character creation
zbrush/houdini pipeline
Character Animation

I've seen a few things here and there, but not as extensive as fx stuff. I really hope to add houdini in to my toolset when i get more time. :)

-GC

rjw
03-30-2011, 07:00 PM
These have been quested pretty frequently.

I recommend that you dive in and start rigging using what you know and reading the docs and have a look at some vimeo and youtube vids then ask lots of questions.

Houdini's character tools although different, aren't that different. It's a lot to do with the terminology and history.

Where Alias called it skinning, we call it capturing.
Where Alias called them joints, we call them bones.
etc.
This is going back to the stone age, early 90's btw.

Again ask away and we'll try to do our best if and when you dive in.

cdeorsay
03-30-2011, 08:15 PM
Digital Tutors has a few lessons, and Houdini Sidefx office in LA just had two rigging classes. But, as Grgeon says, just jump in and ask as you run into trouble, i'm sure lots of people will be able to help out.

fomal
03-30-2011, 08:18 PM
Rigging in Houdini can be an absolute joy. The procedural workflow lends itself well for creating complex and customizable rigs. There are some tutorials out there, especially on 3dbuzz.

http://www.3dbuzz.com/xcart/product.php?productid=68

I'm not into animation but what I have done worked out well. Reminded me of maya, as long as you have a good rig right :rolleyes:

KingKirby
03-30-2011, 08:46 PM
While not tutorials, Fabio Damico has a lot of youtube videos of different characters he has rigged in Houdini.
http://www.youtube.com/user/fabiohoudini#p/u/0/1rE9UrjYBLo

Grgeon
03-31-2011, 08:05 AM
Thanks for the link KingKirby! That was a very nice example. I had no doubts of houdini's rigging, capabilities. I guess i was looking to see if anyone was using houdini to take a character from scratch to completion. Looks like fabio is doing just that! model, texture, rig, animate, hair!, and render. That's what i'd like to do so i'll definitely be taking a closer look now.

Thanks for the input guys.

-George

CGTalk Moderation
03-31-2011, 08:05 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.