PDA

View Full Version : Kino Scialabba :: Meet the Artist

PaulHellard
03-30-2011, 04:01 AM
Hey,

Read his Artist Profile on CGSociety, by clicking the image below, and come on back to ask Kino questions about his career.

http://features.cgsociety.org//images/plugs/feature/plug_kino_scialabba.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/story.php?story_id=6150)

Prencie
03-30-2011, 05:05 AM
amazing work!

what has been your favorite job in your career so far?

sebastienczaja
03-30-2011, 07:55 PM
Just Beautiful!

sebastienczaja.unblog.fr

SciFibrow
03-31-2011, 01:27 AM
Nice work. I actually really like the early version of the Skyline ship on the first page with all the sketches around it. :)

kinoscialabba
03-31-2011, 05:15 PM
Hi Prencie
thank you

And the answer to your queston
-what has been your favorite job in your career so far? i would say it is the one i have currently, because i get to design ancient Demi gods, futuristic soldiers, alien races, ships and their environments. but i loved doing concepts for minority report, and had a lot of fun doing skyline..
kino

kinoscialabba
03-31-2011, 05:21 PM
Hi SciFibrow
thank you
As to your response :I actually really like the early version of the Skyline ship on the first page with all the sketches around it. :)
that sketch is actually a design for one of my comic books. its a sentient ship from earth after technology takes over.
k

SciFibrow
03-31-2011, 11:42 PM
I'd like to see this comicbook. Link and plug! :)

It's cool to see the theme running through. There haven't been enough sentient ships since Farscape. Still waiting for an Ian M Banks film.....

thyrza07
04-01-2011, 06:15 AM
good day!
awesome works displayed up there! :D
i like your philosophy that "In order to do art, you don't really need to study art. You need to study the world." very inspiring and i must say true :D Reading your profile actually answered the questions bugging me in my mind and it slapped me to reality that i shouldn't be giving myself limitations.
i'm new to digital arts and such :arteest:, i recently joined cg society with the hopes of getting inspiration from fellow artists. I'd like to ask what inspired you to keep on going and never stop learning? What pushed you to discover more and more and experience a lot without having to worry about time?

Thanks! More power to your career! :D Looking forward to your future works~

DigiTradArt
04-02-2011, 06:39 AM
Thank you for doing the article. What you are doing is part of what I want to do. Your background gave me a good idea on how to develop my own foundation.

kinoscialabba
04-05-2011, 08:22 AM
thank you thyrza07
what inspired me to keep going?hmm i would say reading about others having epic adventures seeking treasure. it made me want discover the powers of the universe, so in order to do that unattainable goal. I wanted to learn about everything. information is fun..
And your question about worrying about time? To me if i'm not discovering or playing, i'm wasting time..

DigiTradArt
04-05-2011, 06:44 PM
Thank you for the information.

Crotalis
04-06-2011, 07:49 PM
Hi Kino,

Thank you for taking the time to do this!

I particularly enjoy your ship designs, and was wondering if you could elaborate a little more on your thought process when working on them. For example, do you tend to think of the basic volumes first, do you take more inspiration from the technical side of things (ie, what the ship is expected to do), that sort of thing.

The other question I have is about your actual workflow. Do you find yourself mixing 2d and 3d very often, or do you tend to keep each piece in it's own realm?

I've got quite a few more questions but don't want to bombard you! Thanks in advance!

Jason

kinoscialabba
04-07-2011, 12:29 AM
hi Crotalis]
first off thank you
your question about my thought process on creating ships
i think about where the ship comes from and what kind of alien life is living in there, then what is its purpose, and what is unique about the race and how they would interact with the ship in order to achieve what they need too..i really try to figure out the function and relate it to a living creature ie: amoeba
i create ships in all different manners it just depends what my end result is for
is for 3d guys to rip it apart and build it or is idea session for others to go off on their own with the initial design..
i like sketching shapes first then blocking them out before i get detailed with them..
k

Thank you for taking the time to do this!

I particularly enjoy your ship designs, and was wondering if you could elaborate a little more on your thought process when working on them. For example, do you tend to think of the basic volumes first, do you take more inspiration from the technical side of things (ie, what the ship is expected to do), that sort of thing.

The other question I have is about your actual workflow. Do you find yourself mixing 2d and 3d very often, or do you tend to keep each piece in it's own realm?

I've got quite a few more questions but don't want to bombard you! Thanks in advance!

Jason[/QUOTE]

Shondo
04-08-2011, 06:10 AM
Hi Kino

Just to thank you for sharing your work with us at todays conference. When Carlos present you I was like "hey I just read an article about this guy and he likes D&D too" lol.

Hope you enjoy your visit to Mexico and take your time to contemplate it, its just visually exquisite.

Im sure one day I'll have the privilege to work with you, in the end every fan of knowing how the world works end up sharing ideas.

Roberto

jeremylee
04-10-2011, 07:43 AM
Hi SciFibrow
thank you
As to your response :I actually really like the early version of the Skyline ship on the first page with all the sketches around it. :)
that sketch is actually a design for one of my comic books. its a sentient ship from earth after technology takes over.
k

Hi Kino,
About the sentient ship, does this idea resemble the sentinels in the matrix? A rogue AI -- sorta scheme? There are facial characteristics here as well, do any of your other vessels share these facial characteristics? This is intentional of course? I certainly love the organic look in all of your work. And the thrusters here and there give it a neat bio-mechanical (more mechanical than bio) composure.

Sentrynox
04-18-2011, 05:53 AM
Its just sad, that visions and story do not often match the dept of each others... Movies are less and less a canvas for a message, but more and more a medium to express desires. Everyone pulling the cover on its side!

In the past, artists were able to write and draw, but today this has become impossible... Yet I feel arts is fleeing away from its true essence, by becoming a mish mash of ideas with no directions.

I say this, because your arts are so amazing in this movie, yet the movie itself fail to deliver anything worth considering!

Hopefully, you will get noticed for a deeper project ;)

dearfamily
05-07-2011, 12:19 PM
yes, Everybody need to study the world , i agree with this words