PDA

View Full Version : Houdini Compositor Anyone Use

jcgizmo
03-30-2011, 01:47 AM
Title says it all. The Houdini compositor looks a bit like Nuke.
Does anyone use it?
Are there any tutorials?

-Sai-
03-30-2011, 06:19 PM
I use it time to time to do quick fx comp but I don't think it's robust enough to use it for actual production shot that sort ta look like a giant tree .:cry:That ,you will probably want to use nuke!:thumbsup:

rjw
03-30-2011, 06:46 PM
I've seen it used for slap comps to check out the layers and then send off to Nuke or another compositor. I have seen some massive networks with 4000+ nodes comping at 2k res for slaps to beauty.

It also is used in combination with vfx shots to add blurs, color corrects and all sorts of other techniques.

It is a full on tile based compositor so threads very well. Most bugs have been sorted out but if you do hit one, submit to Side Effects with a clear explanation of the situation. You have to spend a bit of time tweaking the compositing preferences to take advantage of your systems memory configuration. Disabling the hardware acceleration can help if you are seeing crashing in the compositor (COPs) otherwise leave it on as some nodes work much faster. Mixing resolutions is supported but it's better if you keep everything coming in at the same resolution.

Big requests are for a 2d-3d tracker, paint, and more robust color correction tools.

Before NUKE there was ICE, Interactive Compositing Effects in PRISMS and early cuts of Houdini before it was rewritten from a scan line to tile based compositor so there is a lot of history in the Houdini Compositor.

Cetras
03-31-2011, 09:09 AM
I use it sometime to tweak 2D data which will be used in 3D with a trace sop for instance or use in a shader. That could be very useful to have 2D tool like that inside houdini to keep you work on texture ( pattern, bitmap texture tweaking etc.) more proceduraly.

For instance, I'm working on a digital asset to create bricks wall pattern, and COPs have been a great help to tweak initial cell pattern :) : http://guillaumejobst.blogspot.com/2011/03/gj-wall-gen.html (still work in progress).

( sorry for my english...)

moonlightkiss
04-05-2011, 09:07 PM
Its great for fairly simple or straight forward stuff. Save often though. I've had incidents where it corrupts my files. That's fun!

KingKirby
04-05-2011, 09:14 PM
Its great for fairly simple or straight forward stuff. Save often though. I've had incidents where it corrupts my files. That's fun!

Yikes! I hope you report that to Side Effects.
What version and about how big are the networks you are talking about.

moonlightkiss
04-07-2011, 04:23 PM
Nah, no point in reporting it. Things get corrupted, c'est la vie. Besides, the incidents are so long ago. Just saying you should save often and version up. Its good practice anyway.

Phrenzy84
04-16-2011, 02:08 AM
I am beginning to use it more and more. (Especially for texture pre-vis for later use in VOP's).

Though as a compositor i would love to see it get a little more love than it has in recent version, though one understands certain features have a greater precedent.

CGTalk Moderation
04-16-2011, 02:08 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.