PDA

View Full Version : Trouble Parenting Bones (they move away)

ghostface87
03-29-2011, 07:11 PM
:banghead:

When I have a bone, the only way I can parent them and still get the parent to move the children is if I DONT MOVE the bones at all before I parent them.

Unfortunately, freeze all transforms and set neutral pose does not work.

child constraint compensation does nothing.

This causes all sorts of problems for me. I cant get past this to finish my rigging which is 75% done on a basic human mesh.

For example, I need to parent hand bones to the arm bones but i cant because I have moved the arm bones up previously.

Somebody please help me find a solution or I will have to redo my entire rig.

mattmos
03-29-2011, 07:37 PM
Sounds like you have animation on the root of the child bones maybe?

Jesse-Irvin
03-29-2011, 07:37 PM
The only consistent reason things jump when parented is animation. turn off auto key (if it is on) and remove animation from your bones. If this isn't whats happening I'm having a hard time understanding what is moving and when from your explanation.

ghostface87
03-29-2011, 08:07 PM
The only consistent reason things jump when parented is animation. turn off auto key (if it is on) and remove animation from your bones. If this isn't whats happening I'm having a hard time understanding what is moving and when from your explanation.

I didnt move the keyframe timer, though.

Anyway, I just deleted those bones and did it without moving them and then moved the bones after.

Now, I have a new problem. After enveloping the bones to the character the bones dont move the mesh at all and just go through it. Any way to solve this? I have it set to 100% FK.

http://i53.tinypic.com/15x0rvp.png

ghostface87
03-29-2011, 08:38 PM
another pic of the problem with the explorer also

http://i52.tinypic.com/2njkoiv.png

mattmos
03-29-2011, 08:47 PM
Either your envelope is muted or your viewport is set to view modelling mode and not result at a guess.

ghostface87
03-29-2011, 09:51 PM
Either your envelope is muted or your viewport is set to view modelling mode and not result at a guess.

Ah. Thanks I was in modeling construction mode and not animation construction. Thanks.

mattmos
03-29-2011, 09:59 PM
P.S. Just noticed you have your rig bits and bobs parented underneath your polymesh. Not a great idea, much better to create a model null, and parent everything under that instead, or ideally have another null under the model null that is called something like Global_SRT and is the parent of the rig, so that you can move your character around easily.

CGTalk Moderation
03-29-2011, 09:59 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.