PDA

View Full Version : imprint grass with collisions?

shannonhochkins
03-29-2011, 06:23 AM
Hey guys, sorry to bother you. im looking to animate a character running on some grass, however, i know how to use softboddies with a low poly mesh added to the foot as the collision object and that works well, however, i wanted this effect with grass as well, say if he runs it either bends the grass a little or squashes it etc.

Is there a relatively simple way of accomplishing this?

Thanks heaps!

Shannon

mandark1011
03-29-2011, 05:43 PM
paint effects grass with paint effects modifier objects.

shannonhochkins
03-30-2011, 12:03 AM
but this isn't "mental ray" renderable is it?

mandark1011
03-30-2011, 04:13 PM
it is IF you convert the paint effects to polys.

shannonhochkins
03-31-2011, 02:16 AM
then i will lose the dynamic capabilities though? :(

animatedfox
03-31-2011, 01:22 PM
The big thing to remember about Maya is HISTORY...most major actions create history and this is a huge part of Maya's workflow that gets overlooked by some artists.

If you convert your paint effects to polys you will see that you still have all the control you had before. You might need to tweak the poly limit based on the detail in your pfx.
And you will definitely need to make some changes to the shader that it assigns to the converted mesh.
If you are using mental ray, I would recommend using the mia_x shade. You will find your render times drop significantly...at least if you don't add super blurred reflections with 1024 samples.

Good luck exploring the glorious world of converted pfx!
(Oh, and check out the forests in mental ray thread)
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=87&t=804892

mandark1011
03-31-2011, 04:07 PM
what he said...remember that a clean paint effects scene is your friend too. You can determine where and when you need actual collisions and maybe delete history on the grass you dont need to be dynamic(if you have no wind etc) this will help to keep the scene manageable as large paint effects scenes can become difficult to work with.

CGTalk Moderation
03-31-2011, 04:07 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.