PDA

View Full Version : Modeling Giza pyramide - not as easy as it seems?!

Tedyous
03-28-2011, 02:02 PM
I am trying to model a model of a giza pyramide. It seemed to be a pretty easy job. But now I can't figure it out. The main problem is that the pyramid is built of a large number of very random bricks, and on top of that some bricks on the bottom of the pyramide are missing or are arenged even more strangely.

I started to create a displacement map, first in Mudbox, but it would be lots of work to create all those random bricks, even though I used a stencil. Then I tried to create displacement map in Photoshop but seems pretty tricky too.

So I wonder how would you guys approach the job?

Psyk0
03-28-2011, 11:48 PM
I'd take a modular approach...

Sculpt a few blocks, each block should have different weathering on each face, so they can be rotated and create the illusion of being different from each other.

Putting everything together would probably make the polygon count go crazy, so i would bake down an optimized version (either using displacement or normal maps). If more surface detail is needed, i would duplicate my normal maps and overlay new surface details on top of the normal maps. That instantly means new and different blocks. If that makes any sense.

Tedyous
04-04-2011, 04:56 PM
Thanks Psyk0, your suggestion turned out to be very useful. I created 4 blocks, sculpted them, created displacement maps, brought them back to Maya and rotate them - and suddenly I got 24 unique pieces. Great!

Psyk0
04-04-2011, 05:01 PM
:thumbsup: Glad i could help.

CGTalk Moderation
04-04-2011, 05:01 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.