PDA

View Full Version : How to use alpha channel?

FranciscoSCN
03-28-2011, 11:16 AM
Hi there guys!

So I have this targa image with two characters and a background, with RGB and alpha channels (the alpha is the characters). How do I use it's alpha to isolate the characters from the background? I've tried alot of things but I'm kinda new to Nuke, so I had no success!

Thanks

cgbeige
03-29-2011, 05:27 AM
Use a premult node.

FranciscoSCN
03-29-2011, 11:37 PM
Thank you for your help cgbeige, it worked :)

And since I'm on the subject, is there anyway to smooth the edges? I have some little contours around the characters, I suspect it's the background kind of "leaking" into them. In After Effects I know I could smooth or feather the edges. Is there anyway of doing this in Nuke?

Thank you again for your time.

cgbeige
03-30-2011, 05:35 AM
You can use one of the erode filters.

Feedbacker
03-30-2011, 01:40 PM
Personally I would use a shuffle node, set this one to alpha, and then connect this via a copy node into the tree main comp tree. this way you have more control over the alpaha channel, you can add edge detect and so on on only the alpha channel.

cgbeige
03-30-2011, 07:19 PM
how's that different from just erode and premult after that? Unless you have a bunch of merges in there, where you'd need to unpremult first, it's overkill for such a simple scene. The erode works on the alpha only by default.

Feedbacker
03-30-2011, 09:00 PM
yes, makes sense.
It's just the way I'm used to work, but most of the times we do indeed work with quite some passes.
Just said what I would do.

FranciscoSCN
04-02-2011, 08:21 PM
Thank you for your replies, you have helped me greatly.

CGTalk Moderation
04-02-2011, 08:21 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.