PDA

View Full Version : What you like the most about it ?

SilverLight
03-27-2011, 04:07 PM
Alright ...

this is a question for some begginers like me to know the capabilities of the software :)

what is it you realy like The most About Houdini ????

Thanx

KingKirby
03-28-2011, 03:21 PM
I like the networks. The fact that I can unhook and reattach the nodes and experiment. I copy and paste them and try stuff out without losing my original work.
I think also the fact that everything I need is in the package, so I don't have any plug-ins.

-Sai-
03-28-2011, 07:40 PM
You can't overlook the procedural and node based work-flow.
It's not a fancy catch phrase but ability to reuse your network as well as easy to see what data are passing through clearly is what i like about houdini.

booyabase
03-28-2011, 10:14 PM
almost nothing is a black box that you have to live with. most stuff can be opened and be looked at, so You can learn, understand and tweak.
I learned a lot about 3d in general since I switched to houdini and it never ends.

moonlightkiss
03-28-2011, 10:55 PM
I agree with booyabase. I rarely wonder what's going on with a node because I can inside it and troubleshoot it or tweak it. Its easy to start at the top of a node tree and see what someone was thinking as they designed the setup.

SilverLight
03-29-2011, 01:44 AM
well about me ...

The most i like , is that everything has a way to get connected to everything and get information from everything and pass the information to everything else ...... lol

maybe its cause iam still not so deep in Houdini yet , but i feel like its unlimited and realy realy flixibile

and if the nodes in Houdini not enough , u can creat a node Vop Sop that will help you ... so easily in visual way with no need to type a code

pclaes
03-29-2011, 08:28 PM
I like that houdini gives you easy access to the geometrical information such as Point position, normals or custom attributes that you created yourself.
I like that those custom attributes are consistent and can feed into custom tools (vop sops) or into shaders to drive control values on per point or per primitive basis.
I love houdini for its speed to prototype tools.
I love houdini for its robustness (even though I tend to crash it a few times a day, but that's me being obusive :) ).
I love houdini for its openess and its hip file sharing community.
I like learning more about 3d and math by using houdini's vops or expressions to implement a practical example of a formula.

Bit less technical, but valid as well:
I love houdini for the satisfaction I get out of solving a tricky effect.
I like the availability of work for good houdini artists/TDs :).
I like the commitment, patience and curiosity it requires to become a good houdini artist/TD - and I like that after 5 years of using houdini I am still learning new stuff every day.
And of course I like the daily builds, the unlimited mantra render licenses and the HDK!! Go Sesi!

(I first used 3dsmax, then switched to Maya and mel scripting, then to Houdini (v8) )

M404
03-31-2011, 04:21 AM
I like that....

...you can edit your work right from the first node.
...you can access almost all the data, tho' sometimes it may not be so straightforward
...the user community is ever so supportive and helpful.

khermah
04-07-2011, 01:36 AM
pclaes for the win. Awesome instructor and helper in the hou.World

khermah

CGTalk Moderation
04-07-2011, 01:37 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.