PDA

View Full Version : Door Rigging Help

Suntzu82
03-26-2011, 10:39 AM
I am building an Apache helicopter for myself in Maya 2011 and I am trying to rig the doors on the cockpit so that they would open and close using two hinge joints that I have made.

My problem is that when I rotate the door up I can only keep it aligned with one of the hinges.

The door is at an angle and curved so it's not that straight forward. But I am new to 3d : )

If anyone has some helpful suggestions on how they would tackle this 3d problem I would appreciate it.

P.s I created a new scene file with a basic cock pit that I am happy to share if anyone fancies trying to figure it out.

Cheers

nuternativ
03-27-2011, 12:33 PM
A curved door? you need to get the joint oriented with the door hinges first.

maybe create a simple curve with 2 cv, 1 cv is at the origin the other is at x 0 0 in world space.
Then, snap the curve to some vetex point on the hinge that in the center (holding v key on the keyboard) .
Create a locator, snap the loc to other hinge vertex. Select the loc, then the curve, go to animation tab>constraint>aim constraint (with maintain offset off). This should make your curve aim directly to the locator. The roation of the curve is in line to the hinges. You can parent constraint a joint to it and delete the constraint node just to get the joint snapped and oriented correctly. Freeze transformation on the joint and you can also reposition the joint along the curve by holding c key on the keyboard.

Suntzu82
03-27-2011, 04:17 PM
Hi Nuternativ,

Thanks for the input. I've just been going through your suggestions and that's helped me solve the issue.

I ended up snapping a locator to each hinge and used the Aim constraint to line up the hinges.

I then parent constrained the door and hinges to a control object so when I rotated it in the X direction the door worked as I wanted.

Thanks for the quick response and help!

CGTalk Moderation
03-27-2011, 04:17 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.