PDA

View Full Version : Crysis 2 released

fayezAlsalka
03-25-2011, 11:04 PM
The latest installment of the multi award-winning Crysis® series, Crysis® 2 is a visually stunning, next-generation FPS with a gripping storyline written by sci-fi author Richard Morgan. Built on the state-of-the-art game development solution, CryENGINE®3, it’s not only Crytek’s first multi-platform game, it will also be available in stereoscopic 3D.

Achieved with CryENGINE® 3
Crysis® 2 is built with CryENGINE®3, the fastest high-end renderer in the world. This means you can expect benchmark-setting graphical performance, near-photorealism in every environment and extraordinary real-time special effects.
Click here to learn more about CryENGINE 3 (http://mycryengine.com/)

3D for real
Crysis 2 will available in true stereoscopic 3D on all three platforms, Xbox 360, PlayStation3 and PC.

Choreographed Sandbox in New York City
Crysis 2 moves away from the big, lush jungle and takes place in one of the most important cities of the world, New York. The city offers spectacular opportunities for vertical gameplay. The player can jump between different stories or onto buses or trucks, drop down into craters and fissures in the city’s streets and leap from one building to another.

Additionally, the urban environment offers a large visual language which gives the possibility to introduce new toys to Crysis sandbox gameplay. Crysis 2 combines the intensity of linear FPS games with the open sandbox gameplay that Crytek and Crysis are known for. Choreographed sandbox makes for an amazing gameplay experience.

CryENGINE® 3 key features:

Real-time Dynamic Global Illumination
CryENGINE®3 features a novel real-time dynamic global illumination solution, fully optimized for current and next-generation platforms. For the first time, without pre-computation or geometric limits, you can experience light-bounces, color bleeding and specular effects in a real-time game engine – unified for all static and dynamic objects

Pristine Motion Blur & Depth of Field
Motion blur can be applied both to individual objects (object-based motion blur) and to an entire scene (screen-based motion blur), while depth-of-field effects can be defined easily with the multi-platform WYSIWYP editor. CryENGINE®3 now implements the highest quality for these effects at a low cost, across all supported platforms.

Realistic Infinite Worlds
CryENGINE®2 introduced incredibly interactive photo-realistic worlds, with huge natural environments that responded to player input and game events as if in the real world. CryENGINE® 3 continues with this benchmark level of interactive realism in worlds limited in size only by the development budget thanks to intelligent streaming of game data.

//source : http://crytek.com/games/crysis2/overview

DuttyFoot
03-26-2011, 01:14 AM
here are a few reviews. I'm planning on getting the pc version even though the xbox version looks pretty damn good.

here are a few reviews

http://www.ign.com/videos/2011/03/22/crysis-2-video-review

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/review-crysis-2/712015?type=flv

and gameplay commentary

http://www.ign.com/videos/2011/03/22/crysis-2-gameplay-commentary?objectid=845452

graphic comparison between each system

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/graphics-comparison-crysis-2/712179

i think this is one of the best games i have ever seen on a console.

curbsidebandit
03-26-2011, 06:09 AM
I picked up the Xbox version yesterday, and I'm really enjoying it. The PC version is the best looking version, but the Xbox version is looking great too. The game is a tighter experience compared to the last one.

Is anyone else enjoying the game?

phexitol
03-26-2011, 06:16 AM
I'm enjoying it quite a bit. I'd enjoy it more if the computer would shut up, especially when it's giving confusing instructions (anyone else have a hard time "finding an alternate route", aka just keep going where I WAS ALREADY HEADED before the computer decided to confuse me? I was totally at a loss as to what this "alternate route" could be, as this is one of the most linear sections in the game).

Anyway, awesome game so far. I'll be even happier when they release the editor/sdk :)

DuttyFoot
03-26-2011, 06:18 AM

not yet, hopefully i will be able to get it this weekend. what a weekend, crysis 2 and the 3DS

Brettzies
03-26-2011, 07:36 AM
I'm not the biggest Crysis fan, only played the first one+expansion last January(2010). Definitely appreciate the graphics, but the gameplay didn't do too much for me, still, I played all the way through so I must have liked something about them.

Picked this one up on Wednesday for x360. The launch trailer kind of sold me on the game even though I was iffy about it. I'm amazed how good this looks on a console. So nice on a large tv as well. Not as sharp as a PC but still very pleasing. The more I play the game, the more I like it, I luv the sound and the weapons. The pacing of this game is so different from the usual FPS's of the past few years. Playing on Normal difficulty is fairly challenging for me, but satisfying cloaking around and taking soldiers out with a silenced pistol headshot.

My current visual/style leader is Killzone3, but Crysis2 is starting to grow on me. At first I thought some of the environments, while rendered beautifully in the engine, were a little boring, but the deeper I get the more I appreciate it, and the destruction plus alien stuff is starting to shine through. Definitely has great lighting.

SheepFactory
03-26-2011, 08:01 AM
I am playing on pc and absolutely addicted to the multiplayer. It is an amazing game everybody should get. If you guys play this on pc post your steam ID so we can get some cgtalk squad going :)

Alonzo
03-26-2011, 11:15 AM
just out of curiosity, is there the new sandbox editor included with the PC version?

TheDistiller
03-26-2011, 03:36 PM
just out of curiosity, is there the new sandbox editor included with the PC version?

No, unfortunately not. But they'll release a SDK similar to the UDK from Epic this summer.

Nizz
03-26-2011, 04:54 PM
here are a few reviews. I'm planning on getting the pc version even though the xbox version looks pretty damn good.

here are a few reviews

http://www.ign.com/videos/2011/03/22/crysis-2-video-review

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/review-crysis-2/712015?type=flv

and gameplay commentary

http://www.ign.com/videos/2011/03/22/crysis-2-gameplay-commentary?objectid=845452

graphic comparison between each system

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/graphics-comparison-crysis-2/712179

i think this is one of the best games i have ever seen on a console.

Thanks for the graphics comparison link btw, im tempted to buy it on ps3 as it does look like an amazing overall game :D

curbsidebandit
03-27-2011, 06:08 AM
I'm enjoying the verticality of the level design. That and the suite powers are pretty neat

fablefox
03-27-2011, 12:22 PM
I'm enjoying it quite a bit. I'd enjoy it more if the computer would shut up, especially when it's giving confusing instructions (anyone else have a hard time "finding an alternate route", aka just keep going where I WAS ALREADY HEADED before the computer decided to confuse me? I was totally at a loss as to what this "alternate route" could be, as this is one of the most linear sections in the game).

Anyway, awesome game so far. I'll be even happier when they release the editor/sdk :)

I'll will only buy it when they release the SDK :-)

(let just say I'm not that into gaming these days (except for gog.com), and I really could use the SDK for something.

SheepFactory
03-27-2011, 05:05 PM
This is the best looking game I have ever seen. Proof:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-pSVA_7ewg

(no story spoilers in video)

meyers3d
03-27-2011, 05:52 PM

wow, i agree that's insane how it is all realtime. I may have to pick this game up, looks to be a blast to play.

curbsidebandit
03-27-2011, 06:05 PM
I just finished the single player, and I thought the end level was great. I think I'm going to go back in and replay the game again.

SciFibrow
03-27-2011, 11:27 PM
I wish I didn't have to choose between the 3DS and this... will definitely jump on board when cash permits.

Crysis was brilliant....

tupwick
03-27-2011, 11:35 PM
I was chuffed to bits to find out I could run the game on max settings in 1080p on my pc.
Had been so disheartened 4 weeks ago when dragon age 2 came out and I couldn't max it out.
Considering how much more visually impressive crysis 2 is id say the engine they have made there is really something. Have also noticed my CPU reaching 75% use, first time I've seen a game so capable of using multiple cores.

fayezAlsalka
03-27-2011, 11:43 PM
I was chuffed to bits to find out I could run the game on max settings in 1080p on my pc.
Had been so disheartened 4 weeks ago when dragon age 2 came out and I couldn't max it out.
Considering how much more visually impressive crysis 2 is id say the engine they have made there is really something. Have also noticed my CPU reaching 75% use, first time I've seen a game so capable of using multiple cores.

Wht rig are u using? i tried to run this game in full hd with a dual 9800 GT (SLI) and it hardly reached 14 FPS?

m0z
03-28-2011, 12:09 AM
on the "Gamer" setting it runs extremly smooth on 1680x1050 with my Q9500@2,8 - 9800gt - 8gb RAM

it's "OK" on 1920x1200 but yes. Generally this game is very good optimized. My brother plays it on his old core²duo 2,7 with a 8800gt @ 1680 and it's lag-free there as well.

fayezAlsalka
03-28-2011, 12:21 AM
on the "Gamer" setting it runs extremly smooth on 1680x1050 with my Q9500@2,8 - 9800gt - 8gb RAM

it's "OK" on 1920x1200 but yes. Generally this game is very good optimized. My brother plays it on his old core²duo 2,7 with a 8800gt @ 1680 and it's lag-free there as well.

Of course it will run extremely smooth cuz Gamer setting is the equivalent for "Low" !

DuttyFoot
03-28-2011, 03:31 AM
(let just say I'm not that into gaming these days (except for gog.com), and I really could use the SDK for something.

that gog.com site has some awesome games from the past :)

Originally Posted by SheepFactory

thanks for sharing that clip, the response that came to mind when i saw it was this :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acYDNlMYAaI

em3
03-28-2011, 03:48 AM
It's pretty fun. Not as good as the first one so far but fun.

SheepFactory
03-28-2011, 07:02 AM
It's pretty fun. Not as good as the first one so far but fun.

How far are you in? Everything up till you meet Gould is one long tutorial.

tupwick
03-28-2011, 07:06 AM
Wht rig are u using? i tried to run this game in full hd with a dual 9800 GT (SLI) and it hardly reached 14 FPS?
I'm using a i7 2600k at 4.6Ghz, 8gig Ram and a nvidia 560Ti OC

From what I've read on the steam forums there will be a patch this week to enable direct x11 also so people with dx11 cards get a further frame rate boost.

em3
03-28-2011, 07:17 AM

I just made it to Wall Street.

Hint: you can pull the 50's off of their stands for 1 shot kills but you cannot manipulate anything while you have it.

Plastix
03-28-2011, 07:53 AM
IMHO: Crysis (1) way much better than this consolized, degraded, boring, linear "sequel".

hanskloss
03-28-2011, 01:08 PM
Played it for about 30 minutes....boooring. Aside from nice graphics and FX it's just boring. After a while you kind of expect what's next. Far Cry was way better. Seems it's the sad state of gaming nowadays: sexy graphics with below par storyline. Where are the good old days of the original Unreal and Half Life where story actually mattered...

TheWraith
03-28-2011, 03:35 PM
Beat it this weekend. I loved the visuals. The story was good, but I liked the story form the first one better.

Brettzies
03-28-2011, 06:19 PM
Played it for about 30 minutes....boooring. Aside from nice graphics and FX it's just boring. Interesting. I did not start to really like the gameplay until about the mid-start of my second night. Which was around 3-4 hours in. I didn't dislike it, but I wasn't "into" that much at the beginnig, just kind of enjoying everything else. I'm not a big Crysis fan to strat, but 30 minutes seems like not enough time to give this game a real chance. If you paid for the game, you might as well play longer then that.

gaming nowadays: sexy graphics with below par storyline
I think it's always been that way with FPS's, and every now and then a Half-Life2 comes along. Seems like those are more the exception then the rule. Of course, I'm not sure what people consider to be great story in an FPS anymore.

I have to admit, in terms of story/gameplay, that whole section was a little annoying in areas. Mostly it was the "go here..." "ok, I'm not there anymore, too hot, now go here!" One of those is enough.

richcz3
03-28-2011, 06:25 PM
I've regretted allot of PC game (console port) purchases in the past two years, but I'm liking Crysis 2 so far. I think they've struck an ideal balance between the console and PC versions.
With that said, the multiplayer environments like those in Crysis Warhead (2008) were never going to make it onto consoles. Vehicles, aircraft and great expanses in DX11 were at times jaw dropping. With Crysis 2, the visuals are good enough at high resolutions considering how little love PC gamers get these days.

I also have Dragon Age for the PC and I'm left scratching my head why 285/SLi on 4Ghz system with 12GB. Playing at anything above 1920x1080 gets laggy. Crysis 2 runs like silk at the same resolution. But more important than the visuals so far is the competent game play so far. Crytek has put together a solid feeling FPS game.

SheepFactory
03-28-2011, 06:37 PM
Played it for about 30 minutes....boooring. Aside from nice graphics and FX it's just boring. After a while you kind of expect what's next. Far Cry was way better. Seems it's the sad state of gaming nowadays: sexy graphics with below par storyline. Where are the good old days of the original Unreal and Half Life where story actually mattered...

Try playing more than 30 minutes before you pass a verdict. You are still in the tutorial level.

JML
03-28-2011, 06:50 PM
I got it on pc, it's a good game but I thought the graphics were going to be
better.. a few times, I noticed the textures of the objects were not very crisp.. almost
low-rez.. and at a distance things seemed very blury/low-rez.. kind of like dof, but a bad quality dof.. kind of like if the LOD changes if it's more than 10 meters..

I'm playing it on extreme mode at 1920x1200 and it's running smoothly on pc which is 2 year old now.. which is also weird coming from crysis..
I guess they didn't push the limit too much on PC. I should have rented it on xbox instead..

JML
03-28-2011, 07:10 PM
Well just found out lot of people are talking about how crysis2 graphics are worse than crysis1.. especially about textures..
I guess that's why they waited so long to release the pc demo version..

Oh well.. it'll still be a good game.
But for people having PC and console, don't bother with the PC version.
Unless they release a download package where you can download the textures at higher resolution..

leigh
03-28-2011, 07:33 PM
Had a busy weekend so only picked up the game today. Going to give it a spin after dinner - I'm looking forward to it!

DrBalthar
03-28-2011, 07:41 PM
Maeh watered down PC game because of console. Will not stand a chance against Battlefield 3 (far better engine tech-wise)

SheepFactory
03-28-2011, 08:08 PM
Well just found out lot of people are talking about how crysis2 graphics are worse than crysis1.. especially about textures..

Oh well.. it'll still be a good game.
But for people having PC and console, don't bother with the PC version.
Unless they release a download package where you can download the textures at higher resolution..

Yea dont bother with the pc version unless you want to play the game in 60 fps running butter smooth and online with dedicated servers. :rolleyes:

leigh
03-28-2011, 08:19 PM
Maeh watered down PC game because of console. Will not stand a chance against Battlefield 3 (far better engine tech-wise)

It seems to me that these days PC gamers seem more intent on bloating their e-peen than actually having fun :/

fahr
03-28-2011, 09:07 PM
It seems to me that these days PC gamers seem more intent on bloating their e-peen than actually having fun :/

Lol, "these days?"

It's pretty much always been that way, hasn't it? :)

Upgrading your pc every 4-6 months to squeeze an extra 3-5 fps out of the latest games is par for the course if your a pc gamer.

richcz3
03-28-2011, 09:15 PM
It seems to me that these days PC gamers seem more intent on bloating their e-peen than actually having fun :/Well coming from an era when Wing Commander required a dedicated 1MB on the motherboard and whopping 22MB install to play, PC titles have always exacted more than the average PC setup offered to get the best visuals. Anyone remeber Monster 3D daughter card $300 to play Quake in OpenGL :eek:. Hence the reason "Death of PC Gaming" had been around since the mid 1990's.
I think, thanks to Valve, gaming on the PC is still a viable market.

I don't expect developers like iD, Epic, or Crytek are ever going to make games for the top 2% of PC benchmarks anymore and that's a good thing. Now we can look forward to games with some substance vs. needing 3 cards in SLi to get 60 fps coupled with mediocre game play. Looks like DICE might actually deliver on what PC's can deliver high end visuals coupled with game play.

JML
03-28-2011, 09:34 PM

The game will be fun, it's just a shame the graphics are like that on PC, even on "extreme"
quality.
Don't you also care about how the game look? or just "pc gamers" ?
I guess we are all artists here, so we probably pay more attention to details
than regular gamers.

I don't know which plateform you will play the game on, but on PC, I guess because
people are closer to the screen, you'll notice those textures/quality issues more.
I would have probably not noticed if I was playing on my xbox 6 feet from the couch.

Laa-Yosh
03-28-2011, 09:45 PM

BF3 is coming to PC as well, but it'll also be on both consoles and at least the PS3 version seems to be very promising and very close to the DX11 version (loko at their tech presentations).
And it does look better altogether than C2, even though both games are amazing in what they can do with 5-year old hardware. Like, I think the new iPhones may be faster than a PS3 already and it can still keep up with PCs to a good level.

tupwick
03-28-2011, 09:46 PM
There are some console commands to enable more advanced engine features I've seen on the steam forums. You may find some of these useful if you have texture problems or want to improve their rendering.

* g_skipIntro 1 - Skips intro videos at game launch [Crysis 2 only]
* i_mouse_accel 0 - Disables Mouse Acceleration.
* r_TexturesStreaming 0 - Turns off Texture Streaming and loads all textures for the level. This removes the texture pop-in effect and makes them more detailed at a distance. [Crysis 2 does not use this feature as it is not part of CryEngine 3]
* cl_fov - If you want a wider Field of View instead of the default 60, try a FOV of 75, or even 90 if you're on Widescreen.
* r_SSAO 1 - Enables Screen Space Ambient Occlusion, which will provide more realistic global lighting.
* r_UsePOM 0 - Disables Parallax Occlusion Mapping. When enabled, Anisotropic Filtering cannot be used. [Crysis and Crysis Warhead only]
* r_MotionBlur 0 - Disables Motion Blur completely.
* r_TexMaxAnisotropy 16 - Enables 16X Anisotropic Filtering for sharp texture detail.

Laa-Yosh
03-28-2011, 09:47 PM
I don't know which plateform you will play the game on, but on PC, I guess because people are closer to the screen, you'll notice those textures/quality issues more.
I would have probably not noticed if I was playing on my xbox 6 feet from the couch.

The most annoying difference is that on consoles objects pop in to existence right in front of you. Yeah the PC has more realtime lights and shadows, better water and there's an upcoming patch to upgrade graphics even further but it's still remarkably similar looking on the consoles. You really have to look for the differences to notice them.

JML
03-28-2011, 09:48 PM
Lol, "these days?"
It's pretty much always been that way, hasn't it? :)
Upgrading your pc every 4-6 months to squeeze an extra 3-5 fps out of the latest games is par for the course if your a pc gamer.

Fyi, I did not buy my computers for gaming, but as 3D workstations.
I rent most of the games on xbox360, and only get the great ones on PC or
if they take advantage of the fastest hardware that I use for 3D.
Clearly, crysis was not one of them.
you never use your workstation to play games ?

Laa-Yosh
03-28-2011, 09:56 PM
Well coming from an era when Wing Commander required a dedicated 1MB on the motherboard and whopping 22MB install to play, PC titles have always exacted more than the average PC setup offered to get the best visuals. Anyone remeber Monster 3D daughter card $300 to play Quake in OpenGL

Hate to argue, but it was WC2 that required 22 megs (probably with the digitized speech pack). WC3 was even more fun, on a single speed CD ROM and only 4MB memory, you had to wait like 10 to 15 minutes for a single mission to load :) then there was the SVGA 640x480 mode if you thought you had a fast PC...
But yeah those 3dfx voodoo cards were awesome, actually the Orchid 3D was maybe even more popular.

I think, thanks to Valve, gaming on the PC is still a viable market.

Actually Valve is fully committed to consoles just as well... although they do make a good business with Steam I guess and it's also an important base for PC gaming.

DrBalthar
03-29-2011, 04:42 PM
I don't expect developers like iD, Epic, or Crytek are ever going to make games for the top 2% of PC benchmarks anymore and that's a good thing. Now we can look forward to games with

The problem is that Crysis 2 can even run pretty well on a 3 year old graphics card. So they're not pushing it at all unlike Crysis 1 did, because they targeted consoles wihch hardware is five years old now. Sure given with the amount of optimizations you can do that levels probably down to a 2 1/2 year old hardware. But still that's why they watered it down so it runs well on consoles so all the arts assets and shaders are basically done/optimized for consoles. That's why they look shoody on anything that displays a resolution beyond 720p or 1080p which a relatively modern graphics card can easily do. Crytek sold out PC which makes sense business wise since there is more money to be made on consoles. But don't expect to receive any love from PC gamers because of that.

DuttyFoot
03-29-2011, 05:29 PM
I wish I didn't have to choose between the 3DS and this... will definitely jump on board when cash permits.
Crysis was brilliant....

i went to bestbuy yesterday and played the 3ds a bit and walked out with crysis 2 instead. i will get the 3ds later. i am looking forward to the virtual console :)

Played it for about 30 minutes....boooring. Aside from nice graphics and FX it's just boring. Far Cry was way better.

i played it for about the same amount of time and had a blast. the beginning stages is like a tutorial but fun none the less.

i still have the demo version of crysis 1 on my pc and i haven't got around to buying it as yet. the graphics do look different on crysis 2 but they dont look that bad at all. i think people saying its worse are getting a bit carried away. i actually walked around the city looking at models and texutres and they dont look that bad to me.

Crytek sold out PC which makes sense business wise since there is more money to be made on consoles.

i think Piracy played a big part in them doing a console version.

richcz3
03-29-2011, 08:30 PM
Did anyone ever see the Crysis Warhead multiplayer in DX10? Realtime day and night in big outdoor environments. It's a shame that being on a PC only it dropped off the gaming radar. I'm installing it up again to see how it stands up to Crysis 2 multiplayer.

SheepFactory
03-29-2011, 10:01 PM
The problem is that Crysis 2 can even run pretty well on a 3 year old graphics card. So they're not pushing it at all unlike Crysis 1 did, because they targeted consoles wihch hardware is five years old now. Sure given with the amount of optimizations you can do that levels probably down to a 2 1/2 year old hardware. But still that's why they watered it down so it runs well on consoles so all the arts assets and shaders are basically done/optimized for consoles. That's why they look shoody on anything that displays a resolution beyond 720p or 1080p which a relatively modern graphics card can easily do. Crytek sold out PC which makes sense business wise since there is more money to be made on consoles. But don't expect to receive any love from PC gamers because of that.

I guess we are playing different games because crysis 2 looks way better than crysis 1 and warhead in every way.

JML
03-29-2011, 11:46 PM
I guess we are playing different games because crysis 2 looks way better than crysis 1 and warhead in every way.
I'm guessing you didn't play crysis 1 with the highest settings then,

Crysis 2 graphics are worse than crysis 1, there are many threads about it
everywhere, it's not just a few of us saying that.
And it still looks good, but was expecting much more from their new engine cryengine3..
The biggest difference I saw was in the textures quality/filtering.

richcz3
03-30-2011, 02:30 AM
I just finished playing a few multiplayer rounds of Crysis Wars on Full Settings 1920x1080 4Ghz/285's in Sli/12GB/Win7 It was as fun to play as I remember it was :) but allot more visually tuned four years later.There is something to be said about having tanks, troop carriers, helicopters, and VTOL air craft going full war zone on a big map.Just not something done well on console sized maps.

The Pros

Large forests, grassland and buildings/structures
32 Player (although max players I played with was 20)
Vehicles
On max settings and DX10 visually real nice
The Cons

Install EA manager
Securom install :curious:
Then the Gamespy login
Punkbuster

I bought Crysis 2 on Steam so none of that kind of hoop jumping was needed. I don't know what happens when you buy the retail disc. I'll have to crank up the settings and see what awaits in multiplayer :D

JoshBowman
03-30-2011, 04:41 AM
I've been a PC only gamer for years and frankly, while I understand the frustration PC gamers find themselves in when they get a crappy console port, I can't understand the frustration being shown towards Crysis 2.

From what I've seen the graphics are good enough to tell an entertaining story and blast some aliens. If all you care about is bragging rights about whether your PC can run Crysis 2 then 'tough bikkies'. Frankly I'm glad they optimised and 'watered down' the graphic side of thing as it means things look better along with better frame rates than they would have if they'd brought the latest and greatest PC to a grinding halt.

Time to get over the fact that times change, dominant platforms shift and business decisions are made that value profit over 'art'. The sooner people accept that rather than this misplaced thought that somehow the studio 'owes them' for buying a product the sooner everyone stops caring and we can all get back to ignoring all the things wrong with this world by saturating ourselves in entertainment.

SheepFactory
03-30-2011, 06:43 AM
I'm guessing you didn't play crysis 1 with the highest settings then,

Crysis 2 graphics are worse than crysis 1, there are many threads about it
everywhere, it's not just a few of us saying that.
And it still looks good, but was expecting much more from their new engine cryengine3..
The biggest difference I saw was in the textures quality/filtering.

I did play crysis 1 with the highest settings, same with warhead. I played both a week before crysis 2 came out too so my memory is fresh. It does not look better than crysis 2.

In any case I am glad Crytek realized that having their engine run well on all systems is much more important than catering to a bunch of hardcore pc "gamers" who are more interested in showing off how awesome their system is than about whether the game is good or not. It is a lesson Valve figured out long ago.

Edit:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/03/29/crysis-2-technical-analysis/#more-55460

Plastix
03-30-2011, 12:41 PM
In any case I am glad Crytek realized that having their engine run well on all systems is much more important than catering to a bunch of hardcore pc "gamers" who are more interested in showing off how awesome their system is than about whether the game is good or not.

3 000 000 copies Crysis
1 500 000 copies Warhead

Nice "bunch" :)

4 yeas pass since Crysis 1 release and people still talking about it, and what about Crysis 2? I think 1 year later most of people who bought C2 will forget about it.

oktawu
03-30-2011, 12:48 PM
finished it on easy. just wanted to look around.
to me, it's far below crysis 1. yeah looks great, engine is very optimized,
but it's no longer open world. that to me alone is the worst thing about it.
i won't touch on the narrative, since even in the 1st one, it was simply
an excuse to go around destoying everything. but the first, made up for the lack
of depth, by letting u roam around like crazy.
crysis 2 is very locked down. even driving the vehicles takes about 10 min of gametime,
and even that happens on a couple of streets at the very best.
shame really, as it could have been just as open.

DuttyFoot
03-30-2011, 01:21 PM
the only issue i have with the game is the A.I. sometimes the enemy soldiers just stand there looking at you and when you start shooting them they get into action mode and fire back. i only played the demo of crysis 1 but i loved how the soldiers would come after you once you are spotted.

MikeNash
03-30-2011, 02:33 PM
Crysis 2 just looks a little better since the quality from the artists have improved, while the effects for lighting etc look scaled back to run on console.

Bring back the jungle for Crysis 3!
http://www6.incrysis.com/screenshots/4xz2m.jpg

JML
03-30-2011, 03:39 PM
I did play crysis 1 with the highest settings, same with warhead. I played both a week before crysis 2 came out too so my memory is fresh. It does not look better than crysis 2.
In any case I am glad Crytek realized that having their engine run well on all systems is much more important than catering to a bunch of hardcore pc "gamers" who are more interested in showing off how awesome their system is than about whether the game is good or not. It is a lesson Valve figured out long ago.

They sure were not targeting hard core gamers, and not even middle range hardware..
My graphic card was average 2 years ago.. I focus on cpu power for rendering..
If I knew it was going to be somewhat similar graphics than on my xbox, I would have rented it instead of wasting 60$ on the pc version!

the only issue i have with the game is the A.I. sometimes the enemy soldiers just stand there looking at you and when you start shooting them they get into action mode and fire back. i only played the demo of crysis 1 but i loved how the soldiers would come after you once you are spotted.

Yes, I think that's worse than the graphic issue.. it makes the game too easy, kind of like
shooting ducks.. I guess maybe that's why some people found the game boring.

SheepFactory
03-30-2011, 03:42 PM
They sure were not targeting hard core gamers, and not even middle range hardware..
My graphic card was average 2 years ago.. I focus on cpu power for rendering..
If I knew it was going to be somewhat similar graphics than on my xbox, I would have rented it instead of wasting 60$ on the pc version!

You must have a really crappy pc if the game looks like the xbox version on it.

JML
03-30-2011, 04:04 PM
You must have a really crappy pc if the game looks like the xbox version on it.
Sigh.. I don't know, I was able to play it on extreme without lag, is there a settings for super super extreme graphics somewhere ? I saw the xbox version and no huge differences.
Anyway, I'm not the only one that noticed those issues.

Magnus3D
03-30-2011, 04:54 PM
I haven't bought it yet and i can barely wait for it, i wanna play now. :)

There seems to be many dissapointed users here.. perhaps you should try to enjoy the game for what it is instead of complaining about what it's not. It's still just a game. From what i've seen in videos and stills it looks just fine on PC and XBOX appears to look a bit degraded in terms of visual effects and textures but that does not seem to worry most gamers out there.

/ Magnus

SheepFactory
03-30-2011, 05:06 PM
Sigh.. I don't know, I was able to play it on extreme without lag, is there a settings for super super extreme graphics somewhere ? I saw the xbox version and no huge differences.
Anyway, I'm not the only one that noticed those issues.

Yea you know what you are right. Crysis 1 on max settings had amazing textures and its a shame crysis 2 doesnt compar....oh wait:

https://photos-4.dropbox.com/i/xl/tu-mW7KIQKtZB0R49yOHQhcRKJ8Fn2NlnHFBGELP4BM/10565193/1301590800/5b55844https://photos-4.dropbox.com/i/xl/ZqQObvYE4i2cy2deRR7qvcJtpsAJVEughgaPhMNuQEM/10565193/1301590800/e5abf6chttps://photos-1.dropbox.com/i/xl/l-TOpSxb_M428W6ekbEfUz8RS-6iPki9nXqDDh7gagA/10565193/1301590800/cbf7464http://www.dropbox.com/gallery/10565193/1/crysis1?h=6d5772

Rose tinted glasses in full effect I assume. Crysis 2 not only looks better it runs WAY better with next to no framedrop even in most intensive scenes. I dont care if you dont like the game itself thats totally valid but people bitching about the gfx and saying how its "consolized" are just being fanboys.

Also regarding the AI. Crysis 1 AI had way more glitches. Which is fine because the AI in crysis games is lightyears ahead of other games like call of duty where AI basicly means "infinitely spawn here and run over to your predefined position there and repeat if dead" In crysis 2 the AI quite nicely traverses the complex terrain and tries to flank you and flush you out with grenades and everything else.

richcz3
03-30-2011, 05:20 PM
@MikeNash I would tend ot agree that the quality from the artists has improved allowing them to coax allot more out of the engine than they did 4 years ago. As for the lighting effects; yes, they can not be recreated on the console versions but given time they'll cheat something in.

Also, we can look at early console release titles (2005) and compare them to current release titles and see developers skills have really matured over 5 years. Engine optimizations and hardware familiarity have help bridge the gap.

Ok, with that said, the city environment vs. jungle rendering. There is no comparing the two. The draw distances alone in Crysis Warhead would cripple any console to a few fps. Huge credit to the level designers in Crysis 2 for not making the levels feel small or claustrophobic.:thumbsup:

JML
03-30-2011, 05:42 PM
Rose tinted glasses in full effect I assume. Crysis 2 not only looks better it runs WAY better with next to no framedrop even in most intensive scenes. I dont care if you dont like the game itself thats totally valid but people bitching about the gfx and saying how its "consolized" are just being fanboys. .
There are fanboys everywhere, but there are way too many complains on EA, incrysis,etc.. forums for it to be just from fanboys.

Also regarding the AI. Crysis 1 AI had way more glitches. Which is fine because the AI in crysis games is lightyears ahead of other games like call of duty where AI basicly means "infinitely spawn here and run over to your predefined position there and repeat if dead" In crysis 2 the AI quite nicely traverses the complex terrain and tries to flank you and flush you out with grenades and everything else.
You played the game and didn't notice any major AI bug ? like enemies throwing grenade
to themselves, or running in circles ?
I don't remember crysis1 being too smart, but I don't remember being that dumb.
I thought the AI in farcry1 was great.

Again, if you don't believe me, just go on game forums.

SheepFactory
03-30-2011, 05:50 PM
Again, if you don't believe me, just go on game forums.

That is like saying "if you want the truth, go watch fox news"

JML
03-30-2011, 06:18 PM
That is like saying "if you want the truth, go watch fox news"
LOL, now you go political.. Classy, coming from a "forum leader"

What I meant is go on game forums, and you will see many people are talking about it,
and it's not only a few of us here.

richcz3
03-30-2011, 06:22 PM
ok you two - kiss and make up

SheepFactory
03-30-2011, 06:36 PM
LOL, now you go political.. Classy, coming from a "forum leader"

What I meant is go on game forums, and you will see many people are talking about it,
and it's not only a few of us here.

I know what you meant. Way to miss my point though.

Lets just agree to disagree.

DrBalthar
03-30-2011, 06:45 PM

Well the problem is that you don't get it. The only think that holds up Crysis is/was it visual awness and they throw that out of the window. If you take that away it's a pretty average game. Story is absolutely ludricous pants and multiplayer isn't as good as other more team orientated shooters.

DuttyFoot
03-30-2011, 09:07 PM
all this back and forth about crysis 1 and warhead is good because i think i will pick it up once i complete the second one :)
i think steam has the bundle for 40 dollars

SheepFactory
03-30-2011, 09:16 PM
Well the problem is that you don't get it. The only think that holds up Crysis is/was it visual awness and they throw that out of the window. If you take that away it's a pretty average game. Story is absolutely ludricous pants and multiplayer isn't as good as other more team orientated shooters.

It is you who doesn't get it.

Crytek is trying to sell their engine here. And Crysis 2 proves it runs wonderfully on consoles and on pc. The stuff they managed to pull out on consoles is nothing short of miraculous. I don't think you have a clue about what Cryteks goals were with this game.

PS: Do you want to make a bet? Crysis 2 will sell more than crysis 1 and warhead combined.

all this back and forth about crysis 1 and warhead is good because i think i will pick it up once i complete the second one :)
i think steam has the bundle for 40 dollars

Just wait on it. The bundle was like $20 at a recent steam special.

JML
03-30-2011, 09:40 PM
Well said.

Crytek is trying to sell their engine here. And Crysis 2 proves it runs wonderfully on consoles and on pc. The stuff they managed to pull out on consoles is nothing short of miraculous.

Couldn't agree more. But that doesn't make DrBalthar post wrong.

WyattHarris
03-30-2011, 09:48 PM
Anxious to play Crysis 2 as I really enjoyed the first one however I enjoyed Far Cry 2 quite a bit more. The open aspect of it really catered to me. Hopefully C2 isn't too linear like I'm hearing.

Most of the lighting upgrades and such were implemented in FarCry 2 but I noticed that they had scaled back textures and other elements from Crysis quality to get it to run smoothly. I had built a state-of-the-art system specifically to play Crysis when it came out and I remember the cut scenes being almost slideshows. FarCry 2 ran smooth as silk with only a slight lowering in quality. I'm thinking they are taking the lessons from both games and applying it to C2.

SheepFactory
03-30-2011, 09:48 PM
Well there is no grey area there. The whole point of them making it console friendly is because they want to sell their engine and take away market share from unreal (there are rumors that they will be releasing cryengine 3 for free like epic does with unreal.)

Did it hold back crysis 2 from becoming a technical showcase like crysis was at the time of its release? probably. Though it is still one of the best looking fps games on any system by a mile. I dont think anybody can deny it is the direction that makes the most economic sense to take. After all crytek is in this to make money.

I have to disagree with their games being bad when you take away the tech as well. Imo they make some of the best fps games out there. If you want to see bad fps singleplayer try out black ops, homefront, modern warfare, etc. Those are just shooting galleries with infinitely spawning enemies that run to predefined positions over and over, and if you even try to slightly go out of the line the developers have designed, the game breaks miserably. At least in crysis I can approach every encounter differently every time I play.

richcz3
03-30-2011, 11:44 PM
DuttyFoot - Crysis Warhead is $20.00 on Steam
It comes with Warhead and Crysis Wars which is the multiplayer
I played a few rounds of Crysis Wars yesterday and it was great. As has been mentioned more than a few times in this discussion - for the visuals DX10 and you'll need a good PC to crank up the visuals.

WyattHarris - Crysis 2 is a bit linear but the level design is done well enough to give the player options. All in all one of the better PC games I've played that had a console counterpart. It's a good game so far and haven't run up against

DuttyFoot
03-31-2011, 01:35 AM
DuttyFoot - Crysis Warhead is $20.00 on Steam
It comes with Warhead and Crysis Wars which is the multiplayer
I played a few rounds of Crysis Wars yesterday and it was great. As has been mentioned more than a few times in this discussion - for the visuals DX10 and you'll need a good PC to crank up the visuals.

i actually wanted to get crysis 1 also, so i think i am going to pick up the 39 dollar version which is crysis 1 and warhead bundled together. they call the bundle crysis maximum edition

SciFibrow
03-31-2011, 02:49 AM
It is you who doesn't get it.

Crytek is trying to sell their engine here. And Crysis 2 proves it runs wonderfully on consoles and on pc. The stuff they managed to pull out on consoles is nothing short of miraculous. I don't think you have a clue about what Cryteks goals were with this game.

PS: Do you want to make a bet? Crysis 2 will sell more than crysis 1 and warhead combined.

Just wait on it. The bundle was like $20 at a recent steam special.

I just want to weigh in here... I agree with Ali with bells on and detect more than a little "I'm a PC" bias in the responses.

Most people don't have the choice to buy a $2000 pc, they have to "put up with" a $200 xbox 360. That's one tenth the price. Console Crysis 2 does not look a tenth as good (more like 90% as good) the textures aren't a tenth the resolution, nobody can tell the difference between 60fps and 400 fps with dual superduper graphics card X....

It's a bit like having a new TV show that will only play on an SGI workstation and the elite few who own one complaining when they have to share it with the "poor". Take it on the chin guys, let the poor have their fun too. So you have to have slightly lower res textures... just think how much better the next game will be because the developer will receive more money and thus be more likely to make another one. Maybe it will correspond with the next xbox/ps3 and you'll get your hi res displacement mapping etc. ;)

(note: of course our forum members CAN tell the diff between console and PC hi res, but what I'm trying to say is most people can't and don't care. And even some (most?) of us don't care either when weighed up against a $2000 holiday or a bunch of other things better than textures... Has anyone mentioned how fantastic the design is in Crysis 2? That's engine/texture independent... same reason why extremely simple StarWars games sell on Iphone and people went nuts over XWing vs Tie Fighter)

Plastix
03-31-2011, 03:44 AM

UE3 also runs wonderfully on consoles and on pc. If they wanna sell their engine they must show us fantastic visuals, physics, destructions and etc. But what we have in Crysis 2 is just an average picture, nothing special. We have a relatively big and levels with a lot of low and very low poly models, low res textures, lights without "cast shadow", short (pc) and very short (consoles) view distance, e_gi=0 for consoles, almost no destructions and physics and etc. "Awsum" way to sell their engine.

PS. Your "it runs wonderfully on consoles" is about 20-30 fps.

PS2. CryEngine 3 quite powerful engine, but Crysis 2 is not the best what we can achive with it (even for consoles). So its kind of strange way for engine promotion.

JoshBowman
03-31-2011, 04:16 AM
Most people don't have the choice to buy a $2000 pc, they have to "put up with" a $200 xbox 360. That's one tenth the price. Console Crysis 2 does not look a tenth as good (more like 90% as good) the textures aren't a tenth the resolution, nobody can tell the difference between 60fps and 400 fps with dual superduper graphics card X....

Peter Blight you are so right n_n

Brettzies
03-31-2011, 04:24 AM
Well put SciFiBrow.

I use to be in that PC "elitist" category before the current gen of consoles came out. Always blaming the dumbing down of my favorite games on them, etc. Then I finally took the plunge and got a 360, not because I couldn't afford to upgrade, but because I just kind of didn't want to anymore and it seemed like so many titles were going to be console only. Graphics were now what I deam "good enough." Obviously not true 1080p, and limited resources, but not bad. I kind of get that a game's fun is more then what platform it's on now.

I still respect what PC gamers want and concede that games have been "streamlined," but I've also enjoyed way more games in the past 4.5 years then I think I did since 3dfx Voodoo2 was the thing you "had" to have to play games.

I wouldn't say that people don't have the right to say what they feel is good or bad "to them." However, when it is presented more as "fact," as in, "this or that sucks...blahblahblah, console kiddie garbage," implying that people are stupid if they like it...well, you have to wonder if they just don't want it to be enjoyable or are just resisting change.

I also agree with you that Crysis1 was a game only a few could play on release the way it was intended. So it was a bragging rights kind of thing. Personally I think Crytek was smart to make 2 look more or less the same on all platforms and insure that it ran smoothly on modest specs. On 1, I think they blew it by a few years. Who wants to play Crysis1 on Medium Settings or below? What's the point? Tweaking graphics settings...is annoying. There is a bit of fun benchmarking, trying to find the right balance, but really, when you think about it, wouldn't it be better if it just looked how they intended it to look and ran smoothly, without that doubt in the back of your mind, "am I running too low or high? Could I get more fps or visual quality." If someone is into that, that's fine too, but I don't think that makes a game good.

I'm not saying people are right or wrong about their opinions, because they are just that, opinions. But it does seem a little non-objective at times when talking about these so-called PC games.

I know I can play Crysis2 or whatever the latest game is on my current PC...I just don't want to.

ps. My first upgrade was a 486Dx2 from a 486Dx to play WingCommander3. Of course, you could say I traded Amiga for PC because X-wing was only on PC.

SheepFactory
03-31-2011, 06:02 AM
UE3 also runs wonderfully on consoles and on pc. If they wanna sell their engine they must show us fantastic visuals, physics, destructions and etc. But what we have in Crysis 2 is just an average picture, nothing special. We have a relatively big and levels with a lot of low and very low poly models, low res textures, lights without "cast shadow", short (pc) and very short (consoles) view distance, e_gi=0 for consoles, almost no destructions and physics and etc. "Awsum" way to sell their engine.

PS. Your "it runs wonderfully on consoles" is about 20-30 fps.

PS2. CryEngine 3 quite powerful engine, but Crysis 2 is not the best what we can achive with it (even for consoles). So its kind of strange way for engine promotion.

Please show me a list of fps games that look better than crysis 2 on the pc that I can buy and play today. I just dont see how anyone can play this game and call it "average looking"

eikonoklastes
03-31-2011, 06:21 AM
Please show me a list of fps games that look better than crysis 2 on the pc that I can buy and play today. I just dont see how anyone can play this game and call it "average looking"

List of FPS games that look better than Crysis 2 on the PC that you can buy and play today:
1. Crysis

<hides>

Plastix
03-31-2011, 07:05 AM

It`s not about which game show us best visuals, it`s about what makes Crysis 2 visuals (archived with CE3) stand above the others games and engines (no only PC games). Why developers should use CE3 instead of UE3 and others engines? What makes CE3 so different? As for me - i dont see anything special in Crysis 2 visuals. Maxed out Crysis 1 (CE2) with Xzero shaders looks much better than Crysis 2.

PS. Xzero`s shaders:

# Gamma correction a.k.a Linear workflow/lighting (incomplete).
# Normal Filter Anti-Aliasing.
# HDR lens flares.
# Tweaked bloom.
# Toon shading (deactivated).
# Filmic tonemapping and grain simulation.
# Lens effects (chromatic aberration and cubic lens distortion).
# High quality Depth of Field.
# Artifact reduced Object Motion Blur.
# LUT based Color grading.
# Ambient cubemaps (per-material). Activated in material editor for Illum, automatic for Vegetation (Subsurface slot for each).
# Normalized Blinn for specularity.
# POM with dynamic step count and anisotropic filtering.
# HDR Cubemaps with glossiness.
# Blend Shading.
# Vegetation Moss.
# New glass refraction.
# Fake grass shadows/ambient occlusion.
# New Plastic shader.
# New Waterflow shader.
# New Magma shaders.
# New DigitalDisplay shader.
# New (incomplete) Fur shader.
# New Skin shader.
# Completely reworked Ocean shader with FFT vertex normals and subsurface scattering.
# Improved River and Watervolume shaders with rain ripples.
# Stereo3D supporting various output formats. Only anaglyph is of real use atm.
# Glow pass is now handled by HDR, so it causes flares.
# Warhead shaders.
# Fast Angle-based SSAO replaces my old Crytek method SSAO for better speed and quality, r_SSAO_Quality allows for many quality levels.
# Lots of other stuff that I can't remember.

:)

Laa-Yosh
03-31-2011, 08:46 AM
Just wanted to note that the reason Crysis 1 and Warhead have such nice sales is that they've been discounted 50-75% in Steam sales several times. So these numbers aren't comparable to a game like Uncharted 2 which moved a larger percentage of its units at full price.

This means Crysis 2 might not sell significantly better, but it'll probably still make a lot more money...

richcz3
03-31-2011, 09:02 AM
I got passed the "Tutorial" phase on Crysis 2 tonight. I must the game play is solid and there's seemingly an endless array of guns and mods (a good thing). Tactically flanking the enemy and unleashing an unbolted turret gun on them just feels all sorts of good. Your load out is pretty generous - two main guns - a heavy - grenades/c4 - and using a turret

It's great to see game devs being able to concentrate on game play instead of of GFX tech to cripple PC's. Hopefully with Crysis 2 and the upcoming Battlefield 3, we'll get to play solid games without the expense of running them.

Plastix
03-31-2011, 11:57 AM
Just wanted to note that the reason Crysis 1 and Warhead have such nice sales is that they've been discounted 50-75% in Steam sales several times. So these numbers aren't comparable to a game like Uncharted 2 which moved a larger percentage of its units at full price.

This means Crysis 2 might not sell significantly better, but it'll probably still make a lot more money...

"Full price" include a lot of charges (dvd/bd manufacturing/printing, shop price makup and etc.). Sometimes discounted games in Steam more profitable than "full price" games for consoles (DVD/BD).

richcz3
03-31-2011, 03:58 PM
Laa-Yosh - In regards to sales, there is also the "video card bundled" market has always padded the numbers. I rec'd one copy of Crysis for every nVidia card I purchased which at the time was three cards.

Here's the Crysis 2/nVidia bundle (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130628) available

SheepFactory
03-31-2011, 04:38 PM
It`s not about which game show us best visuals, it`s about what makes Crysis 2 visuals (archived with CE3) stand above the others games and engines (no only PC games). Why developers should use CE3 instead of UE3 and others engines? What makes CE3 so different? As for me - i dont see anything special in Crysis 2 visuals. Maxed out Crysis 1 (CE2) with Xzero shaders looks much better than Crysis 2.

PS. Xzero`s shaders:

:)

Hey nice you are moving goalposts now. Xzero shaders is a custom mod which will happen with crysis 2 as well down the line. It actually makes everything look like the surface of planet mercury since they went super happy with the normal map instensity but anyway.

You still have not answered my question. What game runs and looks better than crysis 2 that is already out. I cant think of a unreal engine game that does to be honest. the lighting and motion blur in cryengine 3 is lightyears ahead of unreal. These two gifs are from the console version of crysis2. Does anyone else think they are "average looking"?

http://www.abload.de/img/c2lights1ynic.gif

http://h-6.abload.de/img/crysis2s7xb.gif

DuttyFoot
03-31-2011, 05:02 PM
Does anyone else think they are "average looking"?

heck no, they look amazing, especially the second clip

JML
03-31-2011, 05:22 PM
You still have not answered my question. What game runs and looks better than crysis 2 that is already out. I cant think of a unreal engine game that does to be honest. the lighting and motion blur in cryengine 3 is lightyears ahead of unreal. These two gifs are from the console version of crysis2. Does anyone else think they are "average looking"?

On console maybe, although I think metro 2033, modernwarfare looked beautiful, and so
far are my favorite game on console, especially gameplay/story.
Eventhough bad company2 was a console port, it still looked great on PC
Looking forward for battlefield 3 now

Crysis 2 is not average graphicly, it looks great, but it was supposed to be "awesome",
that's what people expected on pc and that's why so many people are disapointed.
(adding to AI and story)

richcz3
03-31-2011, 06:39 PM
@SheepFactory As much as I am liking the game on the PC maxed out. Some scenes are segue action cinematics and offer more blur and subtle graphic nuances like in the 2nd posted image sequence.

With that said, I was in a fire fight last night around some building columns and I noticed blocks of cement falling off where I was firing. Also there quite a number of items that can be picked up and thrown at the enemy. You can kick cars over and squish enemies using them as shelter :cool:
Overall a pretty interactive world.

DrBalthar
03-31-2011, 07:09 PM

Well I still would go with UE3 looks better, it supports more platform, more mature, etc.

Of course it will nearly every mediocre console games outsales the best PC games that's nothing hard to achieve.

DrBalthar
03-31-2011, 07:14 PM
I

It's not about that it's more like Crytek suddenly doesn't give a shit about PC games. Compare Just Cause 2 and the upcoming Battlefield 3. They have spend extra time and effort for PC to enable DX10 and DX11 features even though it is a multiplatform title. Which means if you have a awesome tech you will get awesome visuals. With Crysis 2 if you have awesome tech you'll get the same visuals as console. Why should I spend money on the PC version?

mustique
03-31-2011, 10:30 PM
It's not about that it's more like Crytek suddenly doesn't give a shit about PC games. Compare Just Cause 2 and the upcoming Battlefield 3. They have spend extra time and effort for PC to enable DX10 and DX11 features even though it is a multiplatform title. Which means if you have a awesome tech you will get awesome visuals. With Crysis 2 if you have awesome tech you'll get the same visuals as console. Why should I spend money on the PC version?

Console/PC/DirectX 9-10-11 who cares?..
The newest and all upcoming games don't nearly look as cool as Crysis1 from 4 years ago.
Even Crysis 2 on Playstation looks better than anything else out there.

SciFibrow
03-31-2011, 10:40 PM

Crysis 1 you had to download hi res textures if you wanted them (I had an 8800 GT so I never bothered). I think the tinkering hobbyist that is the megapc owner would be less precious about a few tweaks to get their ultimate rig show-off game running.

I'm a much bigger fan of uber PC rigs being used to do something different. If you're a hobbyist PC user, take advantage of the extra power to run several screens or something - make a little CAVE and then you've got bragging rights over the console owners.

Ali, those are stunning!

Want.

richcz3
04-01-2011, 12:39 AM
SciFibrow and DrBalthar Guessing neither one of you is going to give Crysis 2 a go. I would agree that there are plenty of developers who have short shrifted the PC players - notably Crytek and Dice in the last few releases - horrible shovel ware. I think that both developers have taken the criticism to heart and are starting to differentiate their gaming platforms. I think Valve has allot to do with that and broad PC hardware support. The PC platform is huge providing titles aren't for benchmark purposes only.

As for me, I've been gaming for decades and find myself equally invested in PC and Consoles. I went with Crysis 2 on the PC and I have not regretted it. 4Ghz, 285/SLi/12GB Win7

http://www.digitalworks.8m.com/Forumpix/L4D2_Holiday_family_fragin_01.jpg
Left 4 Dead 2
http://www.digitalworks.8m.com/Forumpix/Red_Dead_Redemption_2_Four_01.jpg
Red Dead Redemption (Multiplayer)

francomanko
04-01-2011, 02:02 AM
that dog doesnt look old enough to play red dead redemption ;)

Plastix
04-01-2011, 02:55 AM
Hey nice you are moving goalposts now. Xzero shaders is a custom mod which will happen with crysis 2 as well down the line. It actually makes everything look like the surface of planet mercury since they went super happy with the normal map instensity but anyway.

Look like you dont even work with his shaders :)

You still have not answered my question. What game runs and looks better than crysis 2 that is already out.

It`s the matter of personal taste, but ok - Super Mario (SNES) :cool:

I cant think of a unreal engine game that does to be honest. the lighting and motion blur in cryengine 3 is lightyears ahead of unreal.

You should try UDK (updated UE3) and you`ll see that almost all of CE3 features is already there for a half year (except real time lighting). Also UE3 (UDK) way much more flexible than CE3 and support many others features (DX11, iOS and etc.).

These two gifs are from the console version of crysis2. Does anyone else think they are "average looking"?

http://www.abload.de/img/c2lights1ynic.gif

http://h-6.abload.de/img/crysis2s7xb.gif

And what so special in these two gifs?

1 gif - simple light (x3) with big radius, without cast shadow and high specular multiplier amount (can easly be done using CE2, UE3 and etc.).
2 gif - chromatic abberation + vignetting. Can easly be done in CE2, UE3 and etc.

SheepFactory
04-01-2011, 03:30 AM
Why don't you show me a game that does it as well instead of trying to downplay it with "whats so special about those"

Please do post some screenshots of this unreal engine 3 game that looks as good as crysis because I really want to play it. ;)

--

@Richard, thats a awesome setup you got going there man. Your kids are lucky :)

Plastix
04-01-2011, 03:52 AM
Why don't you show me a game that does it as well instead of trying to downplay it with "whats so special about those"

Please do post some screenshots of this unreal engine 3 game that looks as good as crysis because I really want to play it. ;)

There is no games that look as good as Crysis, because tropical island set is not so popular nowadays :)

DuttyFoot
04-01-2011, 04:33 AM
There is no games that look as good as Crysis, because tropical island set is not so popular nowadays

just cause 2 has the tropical island feel even though the graphics on the pc version are nothing close to crysis. its one of my favorite sandbox type games to play. i think the tropical island theme is what i enjoyed about farcry 1 and crysis 1.

Plastix
04-01-2011, 04:54 AM
just cause 2 has the tropical island feel even though the graphics on the pc version are nothing close to crysis. its one of my favorite sandbox type games to play.

Just Cause 2 is not an FPS type of game. But i like that type of gameplay (in terms of freedom).

i think the tropical island theme is what i enjoyed about farcry 1 and crysis 1.

The same :cool:

SciFibrow
04-01-2011, 05:11 AM
Oh I'll be getting it on Xbox 360, don't you worry. ;) My TV is bigger than my monitor and I do so love da couch...

That said, if I had your rig (purely incidentally) I'd be buying the PC version. Of course hi res everything is prettier. Just not necessary for many.

Speaking of many, that pic does demonstrate the one good thing about PC gaming... LAN fests! :D

SciFibrow and DrBalthar Guessing neither one of you is going to give Crysis 2 a go. I would agree that there are plenty of developers who have short shrifted the PC players - notably Crytek and Dice in the last few releases - horrible shovel ware. I think that both developers have taken the criticism to heart and are starting to differentiate their gaming platforms. I think Valve has allot to do with that and broad PC hardware support. The PC platform is huge providing titles aren't for benchmark purposes only.

As for me, I've been gaming for decades and find myself equally invested in PC and Consoles. I went with Crysis 2 on the PC and I have not regretted it. 4Ghz, 285/SLi/12GB Win7

http://www.digitalworks.8m.com/Forumpix/L4D2_Holiday_family_fragin_01.jpg
Left 4 Dead 2
http://www.digitalworks.8m.com/Forumpix/Red_Dead_Redemption_2_Four_01.jpg
Red Dead Redemption (Multiplayer)

Laa-Yosh
04-01-2011, 08:55 AM
This argument is getting very silly...

Plastix
04-01-2011, 03:47 PM
Crysis 2 first week sales (vgchartz) US + EMEAA

XBOX360 - 366,816
PS3 - 228,079
PC - 103,373

Overall: 698,268

As example "Homefront" first week sales (US + EMEAA):

XBOX360 - 588,810
PS3 - 240,435
PC - 54,003

Overall: 883,248

:D

spurcell
04-01-2011, 05:45 PM
Just finished it for the PC. I enjoyed it, but to me, it was just an on-rails fps shooter, ala Call of Duty, only set in the crysis world. That said, it didn't detract from the fun, but I could see me getting kinda tired of these on-rails shooters here pretty soon. Visuals looked pretty good to me in 1920x1080 with everything set to max. I still get totally blown away with how much work is involved in creating these gigantic worlds.

DrBalthar
04-01-2011, 05:52 PM
This article pretty much sums it up why PC gamers are upset with Crytek

http://www.dasreviews.com/das-latest-greatest/crytek-doomed-crysis-2s-pc-version/

spurcell
04-01-2011, 06:43 PM

http://www.dasreviews.com/das-latest-greatest/crytek-doomed-crysis-2s-pc-version/

Well, to be honest, I doubt dx11 whizbang features like parallax occlusion mapping and others, would have made any impact on whether I enjoyed it or not.

But releasing a pc dx11 version, simultaneously with a console dx9 version, would have probably created alot of not so generous comparisons between those release platforms. Console games outsell their pc counterparts by a pretty large margin. No way is crytek going to shoot their own foot like that. Though I admit it seems silly of crytek to state they will probably release a dx11 patch in the future. As the article stated, by that time, everyone will likely be over crysis 2 and playing other newly released games.

grrinc
04-01-2011, 07:42 PM

I have been out of PC gaming for years. But I was surprised to see how open folk are about pirating of games in that post. ^^. The article even has a dig at Crytek about how they will blame piracy if it fails.

Second point..... gamer graphics card development. Is that all about to slow down now? It seems PC gamers are a dying and jaded breed.

SheepFactory
04-02-2011, 02:56 AM
Crysis 2 first week sales (vgchartz) US + EMEAA

XBOX360 - 366,816
PS3 - 228,079
PC - 103,373

Overall: 698,268

As example "Homefront" first week sales (US + EMEAA):

XBOX360 - 588,810
PS3 - 240,435
PC - 54,003

Overall: 883,248

:D

Those numbers mean nothing since vgcharts is a bullshit site that makes up numbers and has no credible source. Wait for the NPD next month to post any accurate numbers. Even that one doesnt include digital download sales from sites like steam and d2d which is where the majority of the pc game sales are made.

richcz3
04-02-2011, 04:40 AM
...... It seems PC gamers are a dying and jaded breed.yes, hard core PC gamers cost the industry dearly. Between gamers chasing benchmark titles and developers putting game engine features ahead of game design it was unsustainable. Dying, I would say died around 2007. Fortunately Valve proved producing PC games for a broader hardware market and concentrating on game design, PC gaming is very much alive. I've noticed mid ranged 3D card hardware are bundled with games now. There was a time when only high end hardware came bundled with games. If developers can focus on game design less on pushing engine features I the PC can become viable for them again. Crysis 2 is a step in the right direction.

Plastix
04-02-2011, 05:03 AM
Those numbers mean nothing since vgcharts is a bullshit site that makes up numbers and has no credible source. Wait for the NPD next month to post any accurate numbers. Even that one doesnt include digital download sales from sites like steam and d2d which is where the majority of the pc game sales are made.

You should forget about only PC sales, cuz Crysis 2 is a multi platform game and even based on vgchartz figures Crysis 2 sales quite regrettable :) But lets see whats happen next.

PS. There is no any credible source for sales figures (even NPD), because we cant check those figures.

SheepFactory
04-02-2011, 06:57 AM
PS. There is no any credible source for sales figures (even NPD), because we cant check those figures.

Do you even know what NPD is?

JoshBowman
04-02-2011, 07:24 AM
Does NPD take into account digital sales or just retail?

Been playing Crysis 2 for the last day and it does look very purdy n_n I'm actually pretty happy that they've tried to bring down the system requirements and allow most people to enjoy it at it's highest quality. I don't actually like playing games where I miss out on half the cool effects because I can't splash out on more RAM, CPU power or graphics card ever time a new game comes around.

However it really lacks in the path-finding department as there are a lot of enemy units just walking against walls and sliding along walls while they're walking at an angle into them. Not to mention just plain dumb enemies that don't run for cover when their buddy right next to them get's shot in the head by a silenced rifle.

On top of that it's pretty much all just cloak, cloak, cloak, cloak, any attempt at run and gun is usually very short lived and I'm dead within about 7 seconds, or maybe I'm doing it wrong.

But it looks pretty and it's a bit of a nice distraction so I'm gonna keep playing it.....it just isn't worth the $60 I paid for it.

Plastix
04-02-2011, 07:30 AM
Do you even know what NPD is?

Yes. One of many market research companys :)

DuttyFoot
04-02-2011, 06:37 PM
However it really lacks in the path-finding department as there are a lot of enemy units just walking against walls and sliding along walls while they're walking at an angle into them.

early in the game where i had to go to the alien pods i killed some soldiers. approaching the path to get to the pods 4 soldiers fell out of the sky right in front of me, LOL. i have no clue where they came from they just appeared.

Not to mention just plain dumb enemies that don't run for cover when their buddy right next to them get's shot in the head by a silenced rifle.

i wish the A.I. were smarter when things like this occurred. overall, i really enjoy the game.

On top of that it's pretty much all just cloak, cloak, cloak, cloak, any attempt at run and gun is usually very short lived and I'm dead within about 7 seconds, or maybe I'm doing it wrong.

i dont really run and gun that much either, i use the cloak or i stay up at a high point and rain terror with my sniper rifle :) i enjoyed doing this at the part where you have to go to the guys apartment before the soldiers get his files

em3
04-02-2011, 06:54 PM
i dont really run and gun that much either, i use the cloak or i stay up at a high point and rain terror with my sniper rifle :) i enjoyed doing this at the part where you have to go to the guys apartment before the soldiers get his files

Yeah same here. I liked the first one better because I was able to see the face of the enemy before I splatter it. Something about being a super armored super solider shooting unarmored enemies with hug guns while cloaked that really "did it" for me.

CKPinson
04-02-2011, 07:03 PM
Why do ppl still say PC gaming is DYING? DIED? PC still gets big hits all to itself- see Star Craft, War Craft, DOW, and so on and for FPS see Battlefield- Yes, the series is on the console but the developer actually has the common sense to avoid porting it. If you play Battlefield Bad Company 2 on the PC or the console you'd be happy, but would notice the differences- Crysis 2 ported pretty much the entire game IMHO. Do I like it sure, but not as much as most of the other PC games I have.

I think it could've been better- Been playing the multiplayer and have yet to see a vehicle? smaller scale battles and would it kill them to support DX 10 or even 11 these days? Especially when NVidia releases a FERMI DX11 card in conjunction with this game.

Haven't started the campaign yet, holding out for my new monitor to be shipped and hopefully the DX11 patch will be here, and heck, maybe they'll add some AI adjustments.

leigh
04-04-2011, 12:03 AM
I finished Crysis 2 this evening, and overall I really enjoyed it! My only major gripe is the way that, at times, the checkpoints can be frustratingly far apart - I was playing on Supersoldier difficulty, which means that clearing out areas entirely was often quite a time-consuming and tricky process. So when I'd almost entirely clear out an area and then get killed by something, I'd almost chuck my controller in rage. I also found the enemy AI a bit stupid at times ("ALL CLEAR!" - but dude, you just saw me half a second ago cloaking). But other than that, the game is great. Nothing wildly innovative but the gameplay is really solid and had a surprisingly cool story for a sci-fi shooter (and we can thank Richard Morgan for that). I thought the sound design was fantastic too - the sound of the pingers, in particular, was really quite bone-chillingly terrifying.

I haven't tried the multiplayer yet, but will do so this week. Big props to the team at Crytek for such a fun game.

SciFibrow
04-04-2011, 12:38 AM
I finished Crysis 2 this evening, and overall I really enjoyed it! My only major gripe is the way that, at times, the checkpoints can be frustratingly far apart - I was playing on Supersoldier difficulty, which means that clearing out areas entirely was often quite a time-consuming and tricky process. So when I'd almost entirely clear out an area and then get killed by something, I'd almost chuck my controller in rage. I also found the enemy AI a bit stupid at times ("ALL CLEAR!" - but dude, you just saw me half a second ago cloaking). But other than that, the game is great. Nothing wildly innovative but the gameplay is really solid and had a surprisingly cool story for a sci-fi shooter (and we can thank Richard Morgan for that). I thought the sound design was fantastic too - the sound of the pingers, in particular, was really quite bone-chillingly terrifying.

I haven't tried the multiplayer yet, but will do so this week. Big props to the team at Crytek for such a fun game.

You played it first on supersoldier difficulty? Yikes!

Can't wait to have a bash at this one. So distracted by innocent pacifist 3ds gaming....

leigh
04-04-2011, 01:56 AM
I almost always initially play on the hardest difficulty, and then do a follow up playthrough on an easier difficulty to pick up stray achievements and collectibles. I play quite a lot of shooters so I am relatively decent at them, plus I like games to be a bit of a challenge. Games aren't fun if you just casually breeze through them :-)

richcz3
04-04-2011, 01:59 AM
...On top of that it's pretty much all just cloak, cloak, cloak, cloak, any attempt at run and gun is usually very short lived and I'm dead within about 7 seconds, or maybe I'm doing it wrong...There have been a few levels so far where you can get behind the enemy and un-mount the mounted machine guns - armor up and go to town so to speak. For the most part I'd agree the game rewards stealth + melee kills over run and gun.

As for dropping enemies just to see another yell "Man down Man down" - walk over to mill around and set up another kill, yeah; not the brightest military cadets.;)

SciFibrow
04-04-2011, 02:40 AM
I almost always initially play on the hardest difficulty, and then do a follow up playthrough on an easier difficulty to pick up stray achievements and collectibles. I play quite a lot of shooters so I am relatively decent at them, plus I like games to be a bit of a challenge. Games aren't fun if you just casually breeze through them :-)

takes me back to the C64 days when there were no saves and the difficulty was INSANE! It was a real achievement to finish a game.

That said, I never finished a single one...

So have you ever tried to twist the controller into two distinct pieces? I know I have...

CKPinson
04-04-2011, 02:26 PM
Gameplay is great and loving the multiplayer aside from a few things- The main problem is that I've come across some obvious hackers, easy to spot with kill cam= people obviously running at supersonic speeds, shooting across the map with breeze, and teleporting.

The other complaint I have is that althought the sound track is killer (3D surround through my headset kicks butt- Creative Labs Sounblaster Sigmas) You hear too much sound- for example, if someone is on the floor below you, then you can still hear their footsteps as if there was no floor/walls etc between you- I noticed because I get directional feedback and it works like a charm (ie. ppl behind, to the side below and above me I can tell where they are by their footsteps, shots etc) but I was hearing ppl walking around , saw them on my radar as very close but figured out that they were actually on another floor.

Still holding off on the single player for my new monitor (Tuesday) and hopefully an update to DX 11 but it still looks very nice as is.

CRYTEK/EA, please do something about the dang Hackers- they weren't even this bad in other FPSs.

richcz3
04-04-2011, 03:59 PM
...CRYTEK/EA, please do something about the dang Hackers- they weren't even this bad in other FPSs.
I believe they are painfully aware of the issue
LINK -> Crysis 2′s Cheating and Hacking Not a Problem for Crytek? (http://nerdreactor.com/2011/03/29/crysis-2s-cheating-and-hacking-not-a-problem-for-crytek/)

SheepFactory
04-04-2011, 04:10 PM
The anti cheat patch is coming out later today.

leigh
04-04-2011, 04:15 PM
I've never been able to get my head around people who cheat. Where's the satisfaction? It's not like they're actually achieving anything :/

mister3d
04-04-2011, 05:39 PM
I've never been able to get my head around people who cheat. Where's the satisfaction? It's not like they're actually achieving anything :/
It is fun to be a "bad boy". Though I never cheated in online games.

spurcell
04-04-2011, 07:20 PM

some people are anarchists in that sense.

JML
04-11-2011, 05:21 PM
Fyi,

patch for DirectX11 was officially announced friday:
http://www.mycrysis.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=22276

we'll have to see how much it improves quality but at least they are trying to do something about it.

richcz3
04-12-2011, 01:28 AM
I played Crysis 2 on a PC and visually and it has pretty impressive visuals and levels for DX9 game.
That's a bit of an irony being that Crytek games were so focused on High-End PC graphics benchmarks (almost at the expense of game play) over the years. There are DX10 games that aren't as visually appealing. So I'm wondering what exactly one should expect from the DX11 patch.

CGTalk Moderation
04-12-2011, 01:28 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.