PDA

View Full Version : Houdini Training @ Side Effects Software(L.A.)

sidefxtraining
03-24-2011, 04:55 PM
Side Effects Software operates in-house training of Houdini at its Santa Monica, CA location. Here are the upcoming classes for the month of April. More detailed information can be found by visiting the following link:

http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=114&Itemid=215

April 7, 2011: Intro to SHOPS & VOPS

A VOP network defines a shader. This class will provide an introductory look at creating these networks in Houdini 11. We will explore the SHOP context, designing shader user interfaces, and the basic concepts of shader development using VOP shading operations. By working through a project using color manipulation, displacement, and simple math we will build a dynamic and interactive custom shader.

Prerequisites: Basic familiarity with Houdini is required.

April 21, 2011: Texture My Dragon

This class will cover Houdini's UV tool-set and explain how to use these tools to UV unwrap an organic character for custom painted textures.

Prerequisites: Basic familiarity with Houdini is required.

April 28, 2011: Procedural Modeling

This class will answer the question what procedural modeling actually is. We will use Houdini's unique procedural architecture to create a setup that will automatically produce variations of geometry based on set parameters using the example of a bobsleigh run. In this class we will explore the use of the dot product and the cross product, we will work with the 'ForEach SOP', with vectors and attributes, and use stamp functions and channel references.

Prerequisites: This is an intermediate level class.

-Sai-
03-31-2011, 06:22 PM
Video camera is cheap.
Streaming or uploading a training video to vimeo/youtube is cheap or free.
There is no excuse not to record all the amazing technical evenings and training classes and share with the rest of the houdini comunnity both beginner and experienced user alike.Don't get me wrong,I understand the smaller company,smaller resources but there has always been a gap inhoudini resources.Peter Quint (http://vimeo.com/user2030228) does a 100 times better job at it . A little harsh but it has to be said.:beer:

maik-anton
03-31-2011, 06:33 PM
Video camera is cheap.
Streaming or uploading a training video to vimeo/youtube is cheap or free.
There is no excuse not to record all the amazing technical evenings and training classes and share with the rest of the houdini comunnity both beginner and experienced user alike.Don't get me wrong,I understand the smaller company,smaller resources but there has always been a gap inhoudini resources.Peter Quint (http://vimeo.com/user2030228) does a 100 times better job at it . A little harsh but it has to be said.:beer:

voted :thumbsup:
or should i fly from hannover(germany) to Santa Monica?!
hehe...i think its not possible!

Eitht
04-08-2011, 05:11 AM
Hello, merely wanted to share my opinion.

I've always looked at all these free upcoming lessons held at Santa Monica and wished i could be there. But although i wasn't able to attend them in-person (from Asia), i still think it's really nice for a company to spend time scheduling, preparing materials and manpower. Seldom see other places having such an initiative or maybe there are but i don't know about them.

If they were recorded and streamed, even better! *fingers crossed*

eitht.

Dmacb
04-09-2011, 01:04 PM
If this is by votes (fingers crossed) I also vote for the recording and streaming...

It's amazing that a Company spends time and resources organizing those events but at the same time they're "capitalizing" them... (and I don't mean charging money for them :) )... If they record and upload the contents they would reach a lot more audience and thus users...

CGTalk Moderation
04-09-2011, 01:04 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.