PDA

View Full Version : Oriental Beauty, Franz (2D)

Franz
10-22-2003, 09:20 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/45011/oriental_beauty_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/45011/oriental_beauty.jpg)

Together with Marc Müller Im planing to create a couple of panels
of a comic in an oriental kind of style. This is the first approach based on sketch Marc did.

this is the sketch...

http://www.franzsteiner.de/pix/cgtalk/oriental_sketch.jpg

AroundTheFur
10-22-2003, 11:52 AM
wow i like this style a lot, and the contrast is very nice. im glad to see a character like this, slightly stylized. youre movin in a direction i like. drapery is also nice =D

marcowilz
10-22-2003, 12:34 PM
Hi Franz!
The Picture looks great. I like the background with the shlightly paint strokes and the contrasted dark floor with the abstracted light. It brings a lot of deep into the picture.
Go on

Franz
10-22-2003, 04:07 PM
Aroundthefur and marco, thanx for your comments.

HeroChannel
10-22-2003, 04:09 PM
What a work:applause: Clear and nice!

Rubberduckie
10-22-2003, 04:13 PM
Wow! Fantastic colors n light/ shadows! damn man...its slick! only crit is taht i find her legs r a lil short/ small...Well..mayb its just me...:P Nice work!

Cheers! :beer:

flipper kun
10-22-2003, 07:55 PM
there's something wrong with the hand that holds the bottle thou

rebo
10-22-2003, 11:37 PM
I do like it but the body looks like it will snap, and the hand is a bit undefined.

Overal a good piece.

Garma
10-22-2003, 11:39 PM
Very cool. I like how you played with light.
congrats with the plug:thumbsup:

gmask
10-22-2003, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by rebo
I do like it but the body looks like it will snap, and the hand is a bit undefined.

Overal a good piece.

Agreed.. I like the style and way that it has ben drawn though.. I will say that she does not look particularily oriental

Agent D
10-23-2003, 12:01 AM
It's good, I particularly like the contrast and colors, but I have to agree with the others about her proportions, as well as her ethnicity. She looks very caucasian (I would say european or american) right now because of her atypical facial features and hair.

taverns3
10-23-2003, 12:04 AM
very nice pic, great look and style. my only concern is with the proportion of the girl, based on the size of her shoulder width and upper torso i would have to say her legs are much too short. the upper torso is really nice but once you get down passed the breasts it seems odd. could just be me though.
overall an attractive piece.
cheers, tav

Volker
10-23-2003, 12:08 AM
Hhmmm....nice job, it has a very nice style to it. Only a couple crits...

There are some anatomy problems here. The intersection with her left flank and rib cage is a little off. Check out some skeletal and muscular charts to understand what's going on under the skin. Her left hand kind of looks like a bear claw. Just pretty muddy. Her balance is also off. In real life, she'd probably fall over, maybe pull that left leg back a bit more, for a more sturdy base. That's it, can't wait to see more!

~Zach

peekoot
10-23-2003, 12:13 AM
very nice...

but... beside already mentioned critiques something about her face bothers me... not only she does not look oriental... but her expression...

i just covered some parts to see what bothers me... and yes, we have a winner... it's mouth.. :)

with few things fixed this will be really top image... excellent work... :thumbsup:

Salaadin
10-23-2003, 12:13 AM
thats is an amazing pic ,,i really love it ,, the whole atmosphere is nice..greatwork..

:thumbsup:

buzzlightyr
10-23-2003, 12:18 AM
Very nice every body mentioned the hand just one other thing wont that band around her wrist just slide off... over all this is a great work of art like it a lot:wavey:

ilasolomon
10-23-2003, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by Agent D
It's good, I particularly like the contrast and colors, but I have to agree with the others about her proportions, as well as her ethnicity. She looks very caucasian (I would say european or american) right now because of her atypical facial features and hair.
Actualy she looks like Uma Thurman!

Ndru
10-23-2003, 12:38 AM
emm...this picture is hot!! :D

Tigerdog
10-23-2003, 12:48 AM
I like it.:thumbsup:
but as mentioned the hand holding the vase thing dosnt look quite right, also the stomach looks too streched.

starqueen
10-23-2003, 01:27 AM
i dont see any oriental themes in this work at all, the style, especially in the sketching, looks more african in nature.

the hands and her body are very weird. she looks more curvy/fat in her hips yet she maintains firm lines in her stomach?

the lighting is nice, her hair, the ferns are awesome, the background is well done although in blurry hints. i dont understand the swirls on the floor though...

its a nice work tho, hope it works out well

mrgrfx
10-23-2003, 01:52 AM
From your post I would think that you don't mean that she will look asian (because she looks like she's straight out of any american high school/college), but that the style should look more "manga-esque.".. Or at least that's what I'll assume (we all know what happens when you do that). The style is somewhat exaggerated, but I don't think you should preface your statements with "oriental style" any longer. It should just be YOUR style or character.

Anyway, the background work is amazing, well done. The porportions and character details need a little working (basically agreeing with the other posts). The drapery is nice work too.

wedge
10-23-2003, 01:59 AM
nice image, i really like the lighting. the shape of her stomach going into her ribcage seems a bit weird. its also weird that it has a realistic painting style, while she is unrealistically proportioned.

also, she doesn't look very asian, and the term oriental is commonly offensive to asians. oriental is more commonly used now to refer to rugs and food, not people.

Bliz
10-23-2003, 01:59 AM
Yeah nice. Reminds me of the style the women had in Disney's Hercles film.

mage111
10-23-2003, 02:04 AM
i like it
it being stylized as it stands, this is what i see

longer legs, indicating sex appeal or how hot a girl was back in the early years of the 1600's or something *shrugs*
and that booty for current day sex appeal (say hi to j-lo)
but the best thing has to be the lighting
wonderful job

phoenix
10-23-2003, 04:40 AM
wwwwwwwwwwwwwwoooowwwwwwwwwww

very impressive.....

iBlue
10-23-2003, 04:46 AM
Beautiful coloring, but the anatomy is off, alot of things dont make sense, its beautiful besides that though, good work! :)

Intonater
10-23-2003, 05:44 AM
Nice paint!
I like your style!

Saeed
10-23-2003, 06:39 AM
Lovely :love:
nice work :applause:

Franz
10-23-2003, 07:34 AM
Thanx for the critics you are right about the weakpoints like the
hands and her anatomy. Thanx for giving me some hints. Greetings Franz

GrafOrlok
10-23-2003, 07:57 AM
I don't mind the anatomy, I think it's a very cool stylization. However it feels like she's tipping over. As if the urn is so heavy that she's just about to fall. I see this in your sketch too. I would like to see her compensating the weight of the urn instead. Not too much but just move the feet a little closer to the urn to get a little more balance...
:applause:

headengine
10-23-2003, 08:48 AM
There's a huge difference in style between your sketch and and the finished piece. Also - the main woman is a great sketch proportionately, yet the bkground there is all over the place... was the sketch inspired by anything in particular...?

Franz
10-23-2003, 09:00 AM
Well headengine, I was talking alot with Marc who did the sketch.
We were thinkin of doing a comic in the future and thougth that it might be great to have an oriental or egypt setting.
I think the sketch wasnt inspired by anything particular. Marc just keeps these skeches coming.

mehdianim
10-23-2003, 11:03 AM
great stuff man I like the style.

headengine
10-23-2003, 11:27 AM
Cool, thanks Franz. Does Marc have a website too, I'd love to see more of his stuff as well...
:D

Raul-Reznek
10-23-2003, 12:28 PM
Good render but the anatomy is disproportioned.

Gadric
10-23-2003, 12:53 PM
Wow :buttrock:

I like it a lot. Especially the lights in the background and the smooth character.

greetings,
Gadric

Miss Hippo
10-23-2003, 01:19 PM
Love the work...it's awsome....the background is amazing. But some critique on the character. her left arm(the one holding the object) seems shorter than her right arm. Cuz the right arm is a bit bend....so her left should have been a bit longer than the right one. I don't mean to sound mean...ur work is amazing...but the mid section of the body seems longer than her legs.....maybe after u fix them it's going to look better...but so far it's awsome! Hope to see more :buttrock:

Good Luck!

Franz
10-23-2003, 01:48 PM
no head Marc doesnt have a website yet but I think his work is more than worth looking at it. maybe Ill get him to post some more of his stuff.

aRTCy
10-23-2003, 03:15 PM
I was checking out your other work on your website and you have a great style. What program our you using to paint your 2d work?

Franz
10-23-2003, 03:26 PM
aRTCy Im using only Photoshop, havent tried Painter yet.

Rmortis
10-23-2003, 04:04 PM
I more like the skecht.

sorry mine english.

:rolleyes:

Wonderer
10-23-2003, 04:42 PM
Very good! Nothing to add that haven't already been sayd.:thumbsup:

s_p
10-23-2003, 05:05 PM
Hi,
Besides what has been said, the elipse of the planter and the pitcher need to be looked at--they aren't in the correct perspective and that flattens the overall effect.
And remember that if a characters' head isn't centered above the two feet then they are either falling or in some sort of action. This looks like she's standing there and for that it appears that her "lean" is a little unnatural.

Keep in mind that I like the work overall and I think with some of the suggestions people have given (ANATOMY!!) you can really spruce this up to something even better. Keep working on it! With photoshop you can always save the file and go back to it so you've got nothing to lose!!:)

Franz
10-23-2003, 05:09 PM
Orly Wanders, thanx anyways.

s_p, thanx for those advises.:thumbsup:

Goro
10-23-2003, 05:53 PM
You're getting better and better!!! This is definitely your best
piece until now. I'm waiting for the next picture.

I think the proportions are right cause it's a comic character.
The only problem is that you painted a very realistic face.
So you automatically think that it is a real person.
But anyways I think this picture is really great! My respect!!!

you rock!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Xaint
10-23-2003, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by Rmortis
I more like the skecht.

Me too. Both has flaws in anatomy, but for the skecth it's not disturbing. (the final piece is painted over the sketch)

For the painting, it has a nice palette, and I like the corridor's shadowing and the girl/corridor contrast. But I found lot flaws in it. There are no real shadows on the girl's body, she has bad anatomy. It shows off that the artist is not experienced with the build of human figures. Her face is just a 2d 'cheat', it has no real form, it's basically built up from trained in patches and lines without the understanding of what's really going on with the form. This is is a common problem amongst people who draw pictures from magazines more, than study anatomy.

My advice to you is to study anatomy at least equally than drawing from magazines, and to frequently draw figures from your head. When drawing from your head you can constantly check with wich parts you have still problems, then check those in the anatomy book and try to correct your drawing.

Franz, I don't mean to harm you. The critique goes to the moderator who plugged this. Everybody has his/her actual level, in wich he/she may advance in the future, and if regarding to that level he/she tries his/her best to accomplish that piece of art he/she is the king/queen of the day! Maybe you're a king for your level, but this work is definiately not frontpage level.

Sorry If I harmed anyone, but I couldn't just walk by without taking these comments.

Franz, I went to your website and found nice images. Applause goes for those. I liked Xena and Pirate so much that I saved the pics on my HD.

brandish
10-23-2003, 06:52 PM
have to agree with xaint. i love the rendering of some of your pictures, i really wish i had your skills (in rendering).
but imo you have to study anatomy,.
i' d recommend "die gestalt des menschen" by bammes... it's not cheap, but it pays,... and maybe take life drawing classes.

Xaint
10-23-2003, 07:10 PM
I have 'Die Nachte Mensch' from Bammes, it's maybe the best reference I have (I have soo many). I highly recommend it to 3d artists as well, Bammes defines human form very clearly with plane-like rendering!

Kel Solaar
10-23-2003, 07:14 PM
Excellent lightning work (shadows are highlights very well rendered).

NowhereMan
10-23-2003, 07:38 PM
Amazing!!!! I love it

Have u used Dominique (http://www.sweetdominique.com/) for face reference? The likeness is incredible.

Congratulations! Amazing job and style!!

Asorson
10-24-2003, 01:52 AM
The original sketch seems to make more sense with the ethnic looking woman in the exotic setting. The painting however looks like your typical valley girl that would feel more at home in a shopping mall, rather than carrying an urn.

Ramcy
10-24-2003, 04:48 AM
I like the feel of the color!
maybe the stance of character can be make better :thumbsup:
Good feeling!!

Franz
10-24-2003, 06:33 AM
Originally posted by Xaint
Me too. Both has flaws in anatomy, but for the skecth it's not disturbing. (the final piece is painted over the sketch)

For the painting, it has a nice palette, and I like the corridor's shadowing and the girl/corridor contrast. But I found lot flaws in it. There are no real shadows on the girl's body, she has bad anatomy. It shows off that the artist is not experienced with the build of human figures. Her face is just a 2d 'cheat', it has no real form, it's basically built up from trained in patches and lines without the understanding of what's really going on with the form. This is is a common problem amongst people who draw pictures from magazines more, than study anatomy.

My advice to you is to study anatomy at least equally than drawing from magazines, and to frequently draw figures from your head. When drawing from your head you can constantly check with wich parts you have still problems, then check those in the anatomy book and try to correct your drawing.

Franz, I don't mean to harm you. The critique goes to the moderator who plugged this. Everybody has his/her actual level, in wich he/she may advance in the future, and if regarding to that level he/she tries his/her best to accomplish that piece of art he/she is the king/queen of the day! Maybe you're a king for your level, but this work is definiately not frontpage level.

Sorry If I harmed anyone, but I couldn't just walk by without taking these comments.

Franz, I went to your website and found nice images. Applause goes for those. I liked Xena and Pirate so much that I saved the pics on my HD.

I dont know what should take to make it to the frontpage,
but I think there is more than drawing a anatomic correct picture.
I think its plugged because people look at it and like it. I think a picture needs to hae something special. Same thing with woman
you dont love the one that is most perfect in shape.
Anyways you are right with your critics and I have a lot to learn.
Im only painting in Photoshop for a couple of month, lets see what
the future brings.;) Thanx for checking out my page.

Propictales
10-24-2003, 09:01 AM
Personally I think this is your best picture yet. Keep on!

mindrot
10-24-2003, 12:51 PM
nice style... my only real crit is her left hand (the one holding the jug)... It seems to chunky and undefined........

Franz
10-24-2003, 12:51 PM
Propictales -Thanx for giving me assistance during the painting process.

Waters
10-24-2003, 01:25 PM
I would like to agree with the comment franz made:

"I think its plugged because people look at it and like it. I think a picture needs to hae something special. Same thing with woman
you dont love the one that is most perfect in shape."

in response to one of xaint's comments. I guess the question is, what is the artist's motive? If Franz's motive was to create an image that was visually pleasing to the viewer, that could be enjoyed at face value, and not for the technical perfection behind its creation, then I say he has succeeded completely. I am glad this was on the frontpage because I might have missed it otherwise, and I very much enjoy it. Great job Franz, I envy your eye for painting.

Eldar
10-24-2003, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by gmask
Agreed.. I like the style and way that it has ben drawn though.. I will say that she does not look particularily oriental

There is a difference in term definition in America and Europe. What is considered "oriental" in the US is asia, while in Europe generally this refers to area from Turkey to middle east.

For example, in the famous Agatha Christie's novel "Murder on the Orient Express" (and the all star movie adaptation including Sean Connery, Ingrid Bergman, Anthony Perkins and etc), the train on which Hercule Poirot is solving the murder case is on the route from Paris to Istanbul.

leif
10-24-2003, 09:39 PM
Hey Franz,

it´s great, I love it!!!!

cu
Leif

Agent D
10-24-2003, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by Eldar
There is a difference in term definition in America and Europe. What is considered "oriental" in the US is asia, while in Europe generally this refers to area from Turkey to middle east.

Either way, she doesn't look oriental, neither asian, nor middle eastern. I mean, she has blonde hair... :shrug:

Peteleebe
10-24-2003, 10:28 PM
its a nice picture with good shadowing and color tune.

as what others mentioned, I am not feeling easy with the female body anatomy.

anyway, keep going!:D

hackie
10-24-2003, 11:19 PM
pretty cool style...
i like the contrast between character and background.
the only concern i point out though is the proportion of the girl.
she looks like little off..especially waist are....um...
if it is meant to be....ignore what i said here..
good job!!

have a good day!!

ji.
:buttrock:

Climax
10-25-2003, 01:37 AM
nice work, but to be honest i see something extrange in her body, maybe the proportions:p

Franz
10-25-2003, 06:54 AM
Originally posted by Eldar

For example, in the famous Agatha Christie's novel "Murder on the Orient Express" (and the all star movie adaptation including Sean Connery, Ingrid Bergman, Anthony Perkins and etc), the train on which Hercule Poirot is solving the murder case is on the route from Paris to Istanbul.

Thanx for clearifying this eldar, now some ot the replies make more sense to me.

charithmax
11-03-2003, 09:23 AM
Wow!!!:thumbsup:

cool stuff.i just love it!,nice color contrast too.

but, theres some problem with the left hand fingers(but thats OK!)

hoping to see some more good work!

Bye:)

Xaint
11-04-2003, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by Franz
I dont know what should take to make it to the frontpage,
but I think there is more than drawing a anatomic correct picture.
I think its plugged because people look at it and like it. I think a picture needs to hae something special. Same thing with woman
you dont love the one that is most perfect in shape.
Anyways you are right with your critics and I have a lot to learn.
Im only painting in Photoshop for a couple of month, lets see what
the future brings.;) Thanx for checking out my page.

You have right with the girls but art works different. You can use a degree of stylization or abstraction wich is derived from your knowledge of real life. Even imagination comes from real life experiences. For examlpe Picasso did his realistic paintings early in his career, those were good studies for his later abstractions.
In my term a bad abstraction comes from the lack of the experience of translating real life into art. This makes the girl on this image looking deformed, crippled but this wasn't your intention. Using right abstraction, this girl would look gorgeus, even when speed-painted.
No offense, keep up! :wavey:

ArtBox
11-04-2003, 11:03 PM
Wow this is nice! nothing to criticize that hasn't already been said!

gsucci
11-05-2003, 10:19 PM
...why does she look north european?

Regards,

Gio

Franz
11-06-2003, 10:12 AM
maybe Ive put to much of my personal taste into her.:)

leigh
11-06-2003, 11:54 PM
You've been awarded the CG Talk Choice Award, and your image has been added to the CG Networks/CG Talk Gallery (http://www.cgnetworks.com/gallery/).

http://www.cgtalk.com/plug_award/cgtalk_award_oct03_2.jpg

If you'd like the PSD file of this award (for your own website or wherever), please email me and I'll send it to you.

Great work!

Franz
11-08-2003, 12:01 PM
thanx Leigh for that quick respond.

k-zu
11-09-2003, 10:45 AM
very cool ;) :eek:

dreamz
11-09-2003, 07:13 PM
u did an absolutly stuning work, colors, light contrast, everything works so well together, congrats!!!! :applause:

DoLeeP
11-10-2003, 11:56 PM
great work :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Franz
12-15-2003, 11:53 AM
thanx doolepoz, dreamz and k-zu:bounce:

michael101171
11-07-2004, 09:40 PM
great work

Meilinia
11-09-2004, 05:20 AM
Wow ^^ I love her clothing and how her dress flows, And the colour tones of her with the background and how the sunlight reacts with everything :D

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 10:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.