PDA

View Full Version : New computer rig.

Mstandar
03-23-2011, 09:04 PM
Hey guys,
I would need some help, or more like a confirmation that i have choosen the right stuff for my new build.

At the moment im working with a 5 year old comp, An HP with, Intel P4 3,4ghz HT, Radeon HD5770, 4gb of ddr2 ram, and good ol win xp.

So as you see, this isnt quite enough to power 3Dsmax/Vray/maya, It works ok in the modelling process but when it comes to rendering it goes slow, real slow.
So what i have in my mind is something around these specs below.

At first i tought about buying the I7-960 and a 1366 motherboard, because of the problems with the sandy bridge chipsets, but now when they are sorted the problems out with the B3 steppings i feel much more comfortable to buy them.

-Cooler Master HAF 912 Plus Midi Tower
-Corsair TX 650W PSU
-ASUS Sabertooth P67, Socket-1155
-Intel Core™ i7 Quad Processor i7-2600K
-HIS Radeon HD 6870 1GB GDDR5
-Kingston DDR3 HyperX 1600MHz 24GB
-Western Digital Caviar® Black 1TB

So yeah, what do you guys think, will it work. Could i change something to make it better?

qwatkins
03-23-2011, 09:45 PM
...to power 3Dsmax/Vray/maya...

-HIS Radeon HD 6870 1GB GDDR5

If it were me I would go for something from NVIDIA that does CUDA as you will get benefits from it in the viewport with advanced Mental Ray lighting in Max for instance.

ATI will give you no such benefits.

olson
03-23-2011, 09:59 PM
If it were me I would go for something from NVIDIA that does CUDA as you will get benefits from it in the viewport with advanced Mental Ray lighting in Max for instance.

ATI will give you no such benefits.

You mean iray in Max? It can also use just the processor in the absence of a CUDA enabled graphics card. The viewports in Autodesk products don't use CUDA, they use OpenGL and/or Direct3D.

qwatkins
03-25-2011, 05:14 PM
You mean iray in Max?

Yes, you are correct

The viewports in Autodesk products don't use CUDA, they use OpenGL and/or Direct3D.

That's right, my comment was not accurate, thank you

CGTalk Moderation
03-25-2011, 05:14 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.