PDA

View Full Version : maya interaction model

arpaci
03-23-2011, 04:41 PM
Hello cgtalk community

i have been using maya for long time , but this week i have started a new job in an office which the main program been used autodesk softimage.

i saw the maya interaction model in the programs file keyboard management menu

would that be a disadvantage for me in long run to use this maya keyboard map.

thanks

sincerely

grahamef
03-23-2011, 05:15 PM
The Maya interaction model is a bit less flexible because Alt is used for navigation so it can't be used to modify other keys. For most tools the Alt functionality has been remapped to the D key, but since you can't press two letters at the same time that means that you need to use the tools in sticky mode not supra mode. That may not be too much of a problem if you're coming from Maya which doesn't have supra keys anyway.

Why not try out the Softimage interaction mode for a while, and if it drives you batty then switch to Maya mode?

arpaci
03-23-2011, 08:07 PM
thank you i will keep this in my mind

ShaderOp
03-24-2011, 05:07 PM
One thing that greatly helps is to use Maya's mouse navigation model (orbit, pan, zoom) instead of SI's (pan, zoom, orbit), and leave everything else as it is. I find that that way it takes me just a minute or two to get used to the keyboard layout when switching between the two.

HTH

oktawu
03-25-2011, 08:14 AM
if u have to jump back and forth between packages, having the same shortcuts for all keeps u sane...i even modified houdini's to be the same as maya's except for that damn spacebar.
but i've been working fine in xsi with the maya shortcuts since they've given that option.
and honestly, makes work and going back and forth much easier for me.

CGTalk Moderation
03-25-2011, 08:14 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.