PDA

View Full Version : Nparticles glow/ DOF

bertjenkins
03-22-2011, 05:14 PM
Hi folks

Just a quick question. I need to create a 'fireflies and glow spheres' environment with post depth of field (RLA sequence) . Generally it is lots and lots of tiny spheres that glow. I want to use final gather where possible so that the glow is not just a post effect. I'm having problems building a manageable workflow that gives me 1. realistic glow and 2. depth of field editable in post.

Software particles (blobby surface/cloud) don't seem to generate an RLA file with proper z depth. The shaders on them seem quite limited. The particle system is quite dense so i tried to avoid instancing the particles to geometry. The scene becomes incredibly dense so you can't adjust anything.

Is 'convert nparticles to polys' the way to go? Which settings should i use to maintain the spheres as i see them?

I don't think i've ever done a job with maya particles that hasn't been a painful process- they could really learn something from the 2d plugins like trapcode form!!

thx

bertjenkins
03-22-2011, 08:11 PM
Well I've managed to get the depth of field working now when the nparticles are emitting from a surface (the floor). It works a treat.

However the nparticles in the air, whilst they now have z depth, seem to have incorrect zdepth information, apart from when they are placed in front of an object. Can anyone shed any light on this? Is there a setting to look out for when trying to get correct z depth with Nparticles and RLA depth renders?

bertjenkins
03-22-2011, 08:44 PM
Me again

apologies for replying to my own post... this is for anyone out there stuck in the same position!!

i adjusted the camera setting to 'closest visible depth'. I suppose it make sense as the z depth was being calculated from the back, hence more likely to be inconsistent with the other objects.

so it is possible to get glow spheres with DOF as RLA files !

CGTalk Moderation
03-22-2011, 08:44 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.