PDA

View Full Version : Enchanted Forest - 2D Environment - Renderedbrian

Renderedbrian
06-04-2002, 02:55 PM
OK, since I am becoming a little cheesed off with 3D graphics at the moment, I thought I may as well take part in the 2D challenge! :applause:

So here is a rough ink of my sketch of my forest scene.

The focus of the scene will be the Well of Segais (Well of Knowledge), which in Celtic mythology, salmon swim in the well, and eat the hazelnuts which fall from the Hazel tree.

This is my first attempt at 2D artwork, so comments and critiques welcomed!

-
brian

jeroentje
06-04-2002, 05:50 PM
Great! More people in the 2D challenge. :bounce:

Renderedbrian, is this with that Wacom you bought? (Wich one did you get?)
jeroentje

Renderedbrian
06-04-2002, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by jeroentje
Great! More people in the 2D challenge. :bounce:

Renderedbrian, is this with that Wacom you bought? (Wich one did you get?)
jeroentje

I used my Wacom. I settled on the Wacom Graphire 2 as:

a) I couldn't afford a more expensive model

b) I don't have enough desk space for anything larger than the A6 size

c) It came with Painter Classic :thumbsup:

I'm still getting used to using the pen...

-
brian

jeroentje
06-04-2002, 09:04 PM
Doesn't matter, I got the same one and it works fine with me.
jeroentje

Renderedbrian
06-05-2002, 02:08 PM
Some more work... It seems a bit bright and cheery instead of dark and frightening..... Doesn't look enchanted either at the moment... :thumbsdow

-
brian

Renderedbrian
06-10-2002, 06:55 PM
OK, here is a quick ink of a second version I sketched in half an hour.

What do you think? Better? worse? :shrug:

-
brian

Kirt
06-10-2002, 08:36 PM
Yeah ... they look very bright and cheery. If you want a dark gloomy pic start with a dark background color and use lots of washed out colors. You can still add a bit of brightness to it with highlights (light reflections, eerie glowing fog, etc.). Maybe a black-light poster effect would be nice with this one? The last image you posted suffers from middle of the page composition but I like the style better than the previous ones.

Renderedbrian
06-11-2002, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by Kirt
Yeah ... they look very bright and cheery. If you want a dark gloomy pic start with a dark background color and use lots of washed out colors. You can still add a bit of brightness to it with highlights (light reflections, eerie glowing fog, etc.). Maybe a black-light poster effect would be nice with this one? The last image you posted suffers from middle of the page composition but I like the style better than the previous ones.

Kirt, a few questions.

What do you mean by black-light poster effect?

"suffers from middle of the page composition"? What does that mean? I'm puzzled! :hmm:

cheers

-
brian

Kirt
06-11-2002, 03:16 PM
See image below for an example of black light poster art (not my work, and I have no idea who the artist is). Like this image, I think you could start with a black or very dark background color and build up your image using bright highlights.

Middle of the page composition is when you draw your objects or point of interest in the center of the page. Sometimes it's better to use the rule of thirds in your composition. You have your tree and well aligned vertically down the center which would probably look better if you offset them or moved one object over a bit more.

I hope that makes more sense ... I'm not very articulate first thing in the morning :hmm:

Renderedbrian
06-11-2002, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by Kirt
See image below for an example of black light poster art (not my work, and I have no idea who the artist is). Like this image, I think you could start with a black or very dark background color and build up your image using bright highlights.

Middle of the page composition is when you draw your objects or point of interest in the center of the page. Sometimes it's better to use the rule of thirds in your composition. You have your tree and well aligned vertically down the center which would probably look better if you offset them or moved one object over a bit more.

I hope that makes more sense ... I'm not very articulate first thing in the morning :hmm:

:hmm: I have been thinking, perhaps I should tilt the tree a little, and make the well a little bit sunken at one corner to give the impression that it is old and rickety. You are correct in that my colours at the moment are bright and cheery! :)

Easily sorted!

I might change the viewpoint a little too.

cheers

-
brian

Gamoron
06-11-2002, 03:32 PM
Good stuff Brian. I agree with Kirt, you should of center your point of interest. I also think that you should vary the terrain a bit so it isn't too flat. It's cool to hear something about celtic mythology. Way back it's in my blood and I'm almost completely ignorant on the subject. Maybe you can try another perspective of the scene too.

Good start:D

Renderedbrian
06-23-2002, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by Gamoron
Good stuff Brian. I agree with Kirt, you should of center your point of interest. I also think that you should vary the terrain a bit so it isn't too flat. It's cool to hear something about celtic mythology. Way back it's in my blood and I'm almost completely ignorant on the subject. Maybe you can try another perspective of the scene too.

Good start:D

Sorry for the lack of updates, just been rather busy.... I thought the challenge finished on the 20th of june? Since it still seems to be running, i'll try and get some more work done on this. Perhaps another perspective might work quite well...

-
brian

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 07:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.