PDA

View Full Version : Van arts or VFS or Sheridan

gomesjohns
03-22-2011, 05:02 AM
Hi everyone....I am a Grade 11 student in Ontario, Canada.....and planning on doing Digital Visual Effects after high school...I have three choices Van Arts, VFS, and Sheridan....now its really hard for me to decide where to go....can someone help me plzzzzzz..........and for Program requirements at those places they require you to have a foundation course....do you guys think i should take that first ? since i am going straight from high school. THANK YOU :)

jesse92
03-22-2011, 07:53 PM
out of those 3.. i'd say VFS is the best, it will be fast.. and you will end up with a killer reel... but if you want a degree and all that stuff then go to sheridan.
VFS has its own foundations curse.

MrConterno
03-23-2011, 02:55 AM
I have three choices Van Arts, VFS, and Sheridan

Out of those three VFS is the better school by a good amount

for Program requirements at those places they require you to have a foundation course....do you guys think i should take that first ?

This depends on how good your foundational skills are currently. If you want to upload some of your work, we can help you decide if you need it or not.

since i am going straight from high school.

Be sure you understand the amount of work you will be required to do. Especially at VFS, you will be pull really really long hours. For instance, I go to Gnomon, a rather similar school. I may only have class for 23 hours, but at the end of the week I'm almost always doing a 50 hour week. You will find the same type of deal at VFS.

Also try to gauge if you are ready to do this. Most people your age are not ready for an intense program like VFS has. But there are some exceptions, some people are more mature than others. Also keep in mind if you do go to VFS, in a year you will be working. Just be sure you understand the magnitude of that.

In quote {bla bla bla bla bla, minimum character post :p }

hdrockzz
03-23-2011, 03:52 AM
I am a Grade 11 student
planning on doing Digital Visual Effects after high school...
since i am going straight from high school.

Well you should seriously think about taking 1-2 years of foundation sketching, color theory, anatomy classes, PS, maya/max basics & other softwares basics/intermediate classes before taking up specialized VFX course from any college/institute, because -

1) This field looks very interesting for an outsider, but it takes days to complete a model or texture or playing with dynamics tools etc. Use foundation to check if you are ready to give 14-15 hours/day for a starter :)
2) if you directly join any college/varsity without your basics clear, you are most probably gonna get left out since their level of teaching would be advanced (they think you must at least know the basics)
3) VFX is a vast field...research first, then take your decision (i have completed my foundation course, actually undergrad in animation :P & i have spend 4-5 months researching wat i am gonna do next :surprised )
4) Have some fun before you join this cruel but lovely industry :beer: (sorry this point is for teh fun :P)

MrConterno
03-23-2011, 05:32 AM
2) if you directly join any college/varsity without your basics clear, you are most probably gonna get left out since their level of teaching would be advanced (they think you must at least know the basics)

Just wanted to clarify on this point. VFS and VanArts (cant speak for sher), both require you understand fundamental traditional and computer skills. But both programs are put together in a way so someone who doesn't even know what maya is can be ok. Keep in mind this part of the program is really short and you will be forced to grow extremely quickly. But in no way do i recommend going into the program without atleast learning the basics of it.

hdrockzz
03-23-2011, 06:01 AM
But both programs are put together in a way so someone who doesn't even know what maya is can be ok.

Yeah, but i would like to add again - Be prepared with basics.
Cuz you don't wanna see you batchmates building cities, creating awesome effects & you are still struggling to understand maya's interface, or how many heads make a human body or wat color complements red color in RGB model & so on.
No harm in spending some $$$ on basics, rather than spending HUGE $$$ on the fast courses, which in peer pressure OR less time on actual work could be devastating for your future demo!!

Keep in mind this part of the program is really short and you will be forced to grow extremely quickly. But in no way do i recommend going into the program without atleast learning the basics of it.

Yeah see you would be supposed to learn so many effects, techniques, softwares...so grasping all these in lil time is :banghead:

Hope this discussion helped you :thumbsup:

(& sorry i can't suggest you schools, CGtalk's rules forbid me to suggest which i haven't attended..So keep researching :thumbsup: )

MrConterno
03-23-2011, 07:32 AM
sorry i can't suggest you schools, CGtalk's rules forbid me to suggest which i haven't attended..So keep researching :thumbsup: )

where did you read that?

hdrockzz
03-23-2011, 07:38 AM
where did you read that?

There are many incidents happened here earlier about advertising & false suggestions..
Rule or no rule (Edit : Maybe mod will let us know :D), I am not gonna advice someone without my own first hand experience/ my friends or my colleagues experience ;)
:wavey:

LowJacK
03-24-2011, 04:53 AM
You really need a foundation in art before you attend any of these school.

Considering you still have another learn of highschool, download the educational versions of Maya and Softimage from Autodesk and start teaching yourself now.

When you are finished high school go and take at least a year of fine arts or some art program at your local college as well as start painting, drawing and taking up photography if you aren't already doing so.

monuda85
03-24-2011, 06:01 AM
Decide what you really want to do as a graphic designer. Even in 3D there are many kind of positions such as Modeler, Animator, and Texture artist. Depends on company you work at, you may be required to do various tasks by yourself but mostly you should be expert at one field. I ended up not getting a job right away after having mediocre skills in several fields so again, be sure to make a demo reel that proves what you are really good at. You are still young so I wouldn't be hasty about choosing schools yet. Like others said, build drawing and fundamental knowledges. I am so jealous that you are already getting advice from people here. when I was your age, I did not plan my career seriously or ask opinions to people but just being impatient about my dream. Good luck! :)

hdrockzz
03-24-2011, 06:11 AM
Even in 3D there are many kind of positions such as Modeler, Animator, and Texture artist. Depends on company you work at, you may be required to do various tasks by yourself but mostly you should be expert at one field.

Yeah this is why 1-2 year of local college education is necessary..to know which field you like..& what methods comes naturally to you.

I am so jealous that you are already getting advice from people here when I was your age, I did not plan my career seriously or asking opinions to people but just being impatient about my dream. Good luck! :)

Lol yeah..back here, people still think animation means making cartoons :p :banghead:

It is good to see people are getting aware & making choices so early :cool:

circusboy
04-12-2011, 09:10 PM
Hi everyone....I am a Grade 11 student in Ontario, Canada.....and planning on doing Digital Visual Effects after high school...I have three choices Van Arts, VFS, and Sheridan....now its really hard for me to decide where to go....can someone help me plzzzzzz..........and for Program requirements at those places they require you to have a foundation course....do you guys think i should take that first ? since i am going straight from high school. THANK YOU :)
Sheridan is by far the cheapest (and used the be the best and only). But its out of the question until you complete some other art related degree or have four years of professional art based experience (or whichever comes first).
See the Portfolio Requirements link (pdf) on this page:
http://www.sheridancollege.ca/Programs%20and%20Courses/Full-Time%20Programs/Programs%20A-Z%20Index/Computer%20Animation.aspx

You can say "maybe they'll let me in anyway?!" but with hundreds (or more) applicants to choose from you have a snowballs chance of being choosen. You might have trouble even if you were a highschool 'art prodigy'. Its just ruled out.

When I went I had a BFA in graphic design and photography already.

CGTalk Moderation
04-12-2011, 09:10 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.