PDA

View Full Version : need some texturing tips

Dark_Des
06-04-2002, 02:51 PM
Hello,

I'm working on a crypt, now I'm trying to texture it, I'd like to remove some procedurals (lychens and dust) from it, and texturing using image maps, but I have no reference pictures of ruins, ancients buildings, or anything like that, could you help me? I have no idea how to make my crypt look much better? Leigh have you some tips?

Thanks

leigh
06-05-2002, 09:32 AM
Well, what you have so far is not too bad, except for the fact that the damage/weathering on the building is too random.
Weathering causes very specific, localised damage over years - things like streaks from rain, dirt, dust and grime gathering in corners, that sort of thing.
Your best bet for references is probably to do a search for archeological sites, with pictures of old ruins. Or check out pc games with this sort of thing - Diablo I and II, being good examples :)
Sorry I took a while to reply, but I'm having problems with my server :sad:

LucentDreams
06-05-2002, 03:44 PM
Photo reference definitely. One note I would like to make about procedurals while I'm here though, is that ypu have to think about t using procedurals just like how you would paint a map. Your dirt and such are as leigh said, far to random. I would still paint this especially being a smaller model it wouldn't take too long, but try to learn how to control procedurals too, so thatt you can do things like make dirt rendom but only in crevasses and such, so you get a natural feel but only in places where the dirt would collect.

ANyways I still would paint this one with maybe a mixed couple of layers for bump from procedural too but you better now how to mix well if you want to try that.

JayHFD
06-06-2002, 07:20 AM
Nice grass!
I know this has been asked in the texturing forum, but you said "how do I make it look better" and heres what I think :)
As well as some of the points other people have touched on, Id actually play with the lighting quite a bit more too. The crypt doesnt seem to cast any shadows onto the ground, and seems to be lit an equal amount from all angles. If you look at moonlight, it can produce some quite nice looking blue lighting and shadows, and to jazz up the colour some more, you could add a couple of torches (orangy light) to the front. (unless its day time that is :) You could easily lift the whole scene just by adding a background too.

Jay

Dark_Des
06-06-2002, 12:33 PM
Great tips, thanks, I'll try to post a new version as soon as possible.
;)

Dark_Des
06-07-2002, 02:50 PM
Here's a new test, I just changed the lights.

JayHFD
06-07-2002, 02:56 PM
Great! Looks heaps better already!
I think once you put some custom image maps (as the others have described in their posts) on and put a background in, even modify the camera angle to something a bit less orthogonal (sp?), it will look better still. Also, if you chose a different camera angle, for example say you put it down next to the ground looking up at the front gate, you could spend more time on the textures for the gate and front section of the temple, rather than making maps for the roof, front, side, gate (unless youre animating it or doing multiple angles, or keeping the angle you have)

Jay

LucentDreams
06-07-2002, 03:02 PM
much beter, and yes still some painting needed to be done. I really do like your grass though, that is excelent greass.

JayHFD
06-07-2002, 03:14 PM
Yeah regarding the grass (if I may add to my already too large comment list :) Im not sure what sort of look you are going for (photorealistic, warped realism, etc) but the scale seems slightly off to me. The grass looks very long for the type of bunched up tufts of grass that you have there. I personally think it looks like warped realism at the moment because of that, and I think the high (and therefore unrealistic-ish) camera angle adds to that look.
Dont get me wrong, I think a warped realism look is great (if thats what youre going for) and the grass and everything is looking sweet! BTW how did you make that grass and what program are you using?

Jay

Dark_Des
06-07-2002, 03:21 PM
Well, I made this scene with Lightwave, and for the grass I used sasquatch plug which is really great.

I think I try another camera angle, I don't want to do photorealism, but just a nice image.

;)

leigh
06-07-2002, 03:40 PM
Hey that lighting is looking great! :thumbsup:
I'm looking forward to seeing how this is going to progress now :)
Lightwave and Sasquatch RULES!! :xtreme: :xtreme:

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 07:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.