PDA

View Full Version : WIP - Dead Tree

SRock3D
03-21-2011, 02:18 PM
http://i1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd485/SRockArt/tree01.jpg

While working on some projects for school I have decided to work on a personal project as well to break up my time so I don't go insane. I started this tree in ZBrush with ZSpheres and made a ZSketch for it to beef it out.Right now the big thing that needs fixing is the ends of the branches and how rounded they are. I plan on going through with a main detail pass then retopo and make a game resolution. I'd like to make a kind of stylized creepy night time scene to put it in for my demo reel. Input would be awesome. I should be doing some quick concept art for it soon to get the mood and staging for what I want to do.

GeeDave
03-24-2011, 01:29 AM
Trees are always a surprising challenge (well, I think so). So I look forward to your progress, as you say the branches are in need of re-shaping, that jumps out the most.

SRock3D
03-24-2011, 02:35 AM
http://i1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd485/SRockArt/tree02.jpg

I've gotten a small chance to work on the tree a little bit more, and start actually adding texture and details to it. Since I have so many environments to work on for my demo reel I decided to make it more of a stand alone piece on a pedestal of sorts. I still need to work on the branch tips but I was trying to just add more to the tree in general. And I may have gotten a little carried away playing with detail on said pedestal. Hoorah simple distractions.Let me know what ya think.

GeeDave
03-24-2011, 10:18 AM
Due to scale, your pedestal is almost the dominant feature right now. I recommend focusing on the tree until it's just bat-shit-awesome, and then worry about what it sits on!

kromano
04-01-2011, 03:59 AM
The tree feels a little too organic to me, like a cluster of flexing, overlapping muscles. The second shot on the pedestal is progressing in the right direction but it still seems like it has too many rounded forms. Maybe do a quick hunt for dry, dead trees in your area or on the interwebs and compare your progress against those.

CGTalk Moderation
04-01-2011, 04:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.