PDA

View Full Version : Commercial work in gallery?

GeeDave
03-21-2011, 11:42 AM
Hey hey,

Just flicking through the guidelines on submitting an image to the CGPortfolio and stumbled upon this:

Derivatives are works that reference existing commercial works directly. Your work needs to be original, and not bear resemblance to any commercial work in existence
But, what if the commercial work is my own? Is that okay? Also what are the rules on logos/out of the way watermarks? Are they taboo?

Examples of the stuff that I'd like to submit:

http://garydave.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/Tank-e1291082697983.jpg

http://garydave.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Old_Nibian-e1291081287616.jpg

cobra6
03-21-2011, 01:49 PM
Well, I guess if you made it yourself AND have permission of your client/boss to post it, it should not be a problem. I think the line you are quoting is aimed at commercial stuff someone else made.

Cobra 6

Kirt
03-21-2011, 05:07 PM
You can submit anything you wish to your CGPortfolio. If you're submitting to CGTalk's 2D or 3D gallery then your work will be more carefully scrutinized for quality and content. The derivative work guideline is referring to work that closely resembles the work of someone else. Not commercial work that you have done.

Watermarks are a tough call. You obviously want to protect your work, but if the mark obscures too much or is a distraction to the work, then it'll probably be rejected. It's hard to say how much is too much. Keep it tasteful and as minimal as possible, is the only advice I can give.

Of the two examples that you've shown and going by recent approval/rejection history of CGTalk's galleries I would recommend posting to the WIP forums first for advice on how to improve these images before posting to the galleries.

My critique of the images: I've seen many images rejected for mono-color backgrounds and static 3/4 view compositions. Your lighting on the tank is also confusing. It seems to have rim highlights on the top and bottom.

GeeDave
03-21-2011, 05:15 PM
Aaahh I see, I thought the two (Portfolio/Gallery) were linked. Cheers for the help, both of you.

leigh
03-21-2011, 05:40 PM
[COLOR=DarkOrange]But, what if the commercial work is my own? Is that okay? Also what are the rules on logos/out of the way watermarks? Are they taboo?

Hi - yes, you can submit commercial work, provided the images are watermarked by the production studio and you state that you do have permission to be posting the work.

CGTalk Moderation
03-21-2011, 05:40 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.