PDA

View Full Version : Dank Toilet [WIP]

Alan-Japp
03-21-2011, 04:45 AM
Hey Guys,
First of all, the work on here is frighteningly good. It's incredibly daunting but at the same time so inspiring. I have been lately very busy in my life and haven't been able to focus on getting my 3D Portfolio up to scratch but i am hoping over the next year to get it up to a good standard. I have been using 3ds Max for a while now and i have been trying to focus on one area of modelling instead of being a jack of all trades. I feel i am more comfortable with Environments and enjoy creating them more.

Anyway on to my scene:

http://i52.tinypic.com/10r4w1y.jpg

http://i52.tinypic.com/96jdd3.jpg
So for the images above i'm trying to go for a fairly disgusting toilet. Not quite trainspotting standards but certainly not somewhere you'd want to stay in for long (or go in at all for that matter).

I am still missing a lot of things like general rubbish on the ground. Which is one of my main questions. Do any of you guys know a good way to make rubbish without having to create each individual peice of garbage? I am probably going to create crushed cans and cigarattes but in terms of general dirt and rubbish piles is there a good way to go about it? I can't think of a good way right at this moment. I also have some crumpled paper towels near the bin but they look horrible and i need some tips on how to make crumpled paper better.

Another question is do any of you guys know a lot about using volume lights with final gather and photographic exposure. I know i read somewhere that the volume light doesn't work the same way. In the second image above you can see the atmosphere i've tried to add with the fogginess but its way too much and makes it look like the toilet is on fire or something. It doesn't seem to respond the same when you are using photographic exposure so if anyone knows how to get round that problem it would be much appreciated.

Anyway, please give me as much crits as possible as they really help.

Thanks!

Cloudhhead
04-01-2011, 08:46 PM
Good work so far, but what bothers me most are the wall tiles. Their lack of specular highlights or reflections means that they don't stand out from the parts of the wall where the tiles are missing. They are also either present or missing - none of them is cracked or broken.

I'm not a Max user so I'm afraid I can't help you with your specific lighting questions, but overall the light looks a little too even. Some contrasting pools of light and shadow would help give some drama - and possibly a sense of threat - to the scene.

Alan-Japp
04-02-2011, 02:16 AM
Thanks for the reply cloudhead Your crits are spot on. I kept looking at the scene and just thinking it doesn't look quite right.

I have recently got a copy of VRay renderer for max so i think i'm gonna re-do my lighting all together and see if i can get some better results with it. Possibly make a night and day version of the scene.

If anyone else has got any ideas about the lighting problems with respect to volume lighting in 3dsMax then that would be awesome. I have been crazy busy with other stuff at the moment so i hopefully should have some new updated screenshots soon.

audin
04-02-2011, 06:15 AM
Hi there,

First of all its really a nice start. I do not use Max so I might no be able to crit or help you in on technical side. But I have certain pointers which I felt about the place.
> One thing regarding the tiles have already been suggested.
> Another is people have tendency to lean on the tiles and keep their dirty leg against the wall. maybe you can add few boot marks on the tiles.
> The area is highly lit. Let the area fall off a little dark. Yes you will have to texture the ground for all the dirt and apart from that basic litter might be look good only if modeled. You are spot on about what you need to model for the ground.
> Give a color tone in post, adds up to the feeling.

Though you are already there!! Nice work.

CGTalk Moderation
04-02-2011, 06:15 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.