PDA

View Full Version : Dominance War V - 3D - TomJ - God of Machine Reliability

TomJ
03-20-2011, 04:42 PM
Hey guys, first timer in the DW.

I don't know if I will be able to finish it as I have to finish my masters thesis around the same time as the DW deadline. We'll see.

For now I am at least developing a bit of concept.

Here is my first draft

http://tom3d.dk/Competition/machinegod_01.jpg

What I am going for is something chunky, heavy and monolithic. I want this to be sort of like Juggernaut from the X-men, almost unstoppable, although speed is not on his side, reliability and indestructibility is.

Anyways. My main inspiration are the Warhammer 40K titans. I am not afraid to go in a bit steam punk'ish direction for this either. I picture bronze, copper, and slightly rusty dark steel for materials. I have made a moodboard, will see about uploading that too, so to underline the conceptual part a bit more.
I am not the greatest 2d guy so I think I will see how it translates to 3d.

My main challenge will probably be conveying scale, so if anyone has tips on doing this other than littering it with small and recognizable details then fire away! :)

- Tom

PhilippeCV
03-20-2011, 05:22 PM
GOod entry, I like what you are doing, I suggest you put the head more up though. For your scale problems I suggest you present your god with some kind of human character to show how tall and big he his, in your final composition, maybe you could have him crunching a human in one of his hands? But hey its a good start, keep it up, and good luck with your thesis :P

Darkonerster
03-21-2011, 02:29 PM
Looks good. Maybe put a gap between the arms and the legs so that the blocky silhouette stands out more. Keep on sketching!

CGTalk Moderation
03-21-2011, 02:29 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.