PDA

View Full Version : Dominance War V - 2D - Blaz Porenta - God of Carnage

NinjaA55N
03-19-2011, 10:28 AM
Hi everyone! It's time to try this kind of challenge as well. I just hope I'll be able to finish it in time, although I'm entering it to have some fun, meet new great artists on the way and maybe produce another portfolio piece :)

Good luck to all!

NinjaA55N
03-20-2011, 12:20 AM
First idea, a mixture of a samurai-like armor / demon / spiky something.. a brutal warrior - god. There are human bodies hanging down from those spikes, pierced obviously, and some of them are also like puppets hanging from the strings in god's hands. While going with the flow, not knowing what the design of this god will be at the end, I'm still trying to make it in a "human" form, rather than abstract and alienish.

http://3delavnica.com/@upload/Ninja_ASSN/dwv_sketch1.jpg

Phoenix-06
03-20-2011, 02:17 AM
Wow that guys big, crazy design and a hat of dead people is always a good choice. Look forward to seeing this developed further

Sk8erWolf
03-20-2011, 02:49 AM
fantastic :cool:

MichaelZHsee
03-20-2011, 03:12 AM
awesome start Blaz! will follow this thread for sure:D

PavelSokov
03-20-2011, 06:24 AM
Love it, so far this is my favorite of the designs posted thus far.

However I feel a somehow disconnect between the design and the idea of death.

I shouldn't talk though, I started a God, posted him and I don't even know what kind of god he is haha.

NinjaA55N
03-20-2011, 08:55 AM
Thank you so much for all ur kind words!

Phoenix-06: I'm still playing with the idea of a hat/helmet, but it should be grand and maybe even like a crown. After all, he is a god and this should make it stand out from the rest of his army. Thnx!

Sk8erWolf: Thnx man :)

MichaelZHsee: Hi there my friend! Always happy when I see u around :) Are in as well?

PavelSokov: I agree it is far from the end design, still much work to do to justify his name. Although, it is not the "death" I'm after. I'm more leaning towards the "carnage", meaning its some sort of a brutal, merciless soldier from a battlefield. But yet not like a barbarian, which would make him look too primitive.. a samurai armor has a bit more sophistication to it I guess :) hahaha.. so much in my mind right now. Thank you for stopping by!

AlexaSharlOt
03-20-2011, 09:04 AM
Awesome so far really like the idea that bodies are on those spikes. Keep it up I will keep my eye on you. :D

NinjaA55N
03-20-2011, 01:10 PM
AlexaSharlOt: thank you! And here are even some more spikes now hehe

Update of the design. I found this really ql orb spiky spider (http://lh3.ggpht.com/_e2GfPUxnJKY/Sy1Ut7p-MmI/AAAAAAAACxk/ydqzU7q7GpM/IMG_9725.JPG), which inspired me to redesign god's helmet a bit.

http://3delavnica.com/@upload/Ninja_ASSN/dwv_sketch2.jpg

Zellvan
03-20-2011, 01:22 PM
I like it! Beautiful concept! ;)

gedomenas
03-20-2011, 02:37 PM
good luck dude :thumbsup:

NinjaA55N
03-20-2011, 04:43 PM
Thank you Zellvan and imperioli! I appreciate your comment :)

And I just came up with a story for my God of Carnage. He is a god without his own skin, just flesh and bone. So he collects humans (people sacrifice slaves to him), skins them and makes himself a skin suit/armor.

Phoenix-06
03-20-2011, 05:12 PM
Excellent development I like the huge crown, reminds me of a tree, each branch with a dead person impaled on it.

Darkonerster
03-21-2011, 11:45 AM
Great work, this god looks all-out evil. Keep it coming!

Myers
03-21-2011, 11:47 AM
really like this one, will follow

Warhawk
03-22-2011, 07:49 AM
HI Blaz!

I am so glad you enterted the challange. I like the idea of the god samurai, the silhouette is already looking strong. Good idea of portrying scale with human bodies. I am liking the new hat thing :)

-I would push the body a little further more towards god, right now it reads more like a warrior. The scale defenetly helps. But maybe add him some sort of element that will be dominant theme. Not only samurai. Think of it like huge armor or long hair or something like that. You can brake the simmitry with it.

-Some indication on how he is peeling their skin from flesh. Maybe you can do the same as spider makes their web. Some bristles on hise hands.

Well just my two cents. Looking forward to see more.

Good luck with the challange.

rawwad
03-22-2011, 10:44 AM
Great one Blaz! I like it :thumbsup:

LightSovereign
03-22-2011, 11:01 AM
Nothing like seeing a 100 foot being walking around your back yard. But look out mate, My God is going to be 102.03 feet..Look you right in the forehead haha.

Ace work already, Blaz

Marley

NinjaA55N
03-22-2011, 12:53 PM
Phoenix-06: the tree is an idea as well yea :) I'll see how will thing turn up. thnx!

Warhawk: Thnx for popping in! I agree, the guy needs some more godly look, that will separate him from being just like a warrior. That will develop through the process of not knowing what to do next and trying things out :) thnx!

LightSovereign: hahahaha.. bring it on!!! :D

Darkonerster, Myers, rawwad: thnx guys! :)

BaronImpossible
03-22-2011, 02:11 PM
Nice design, especially the headgear. Maybe his arms and legs are a bit ordinary right now, a little stubby, but the overall concept is great.

walrus
03-23-2011, 01:42 PM
Looking nice and epic, Blaz! I agree with Simon that the arms could be pushed further. As for the head-covering, I liked your silhouette in #1 more- more interesting variation in forms, and almost insect-like. In the latest pic, it's a big rectangular expanse with not a lot of variation and it might be nice to experiment with breaking up the form somehow... Good luck!

PavelSokov
03-23-2011, 09:03 PM
Oh man, I personally love the new update!
Looking forward to the updates, although it is discouraging to see tangible proof that I can not win.
Not that I ever had illusions of such a possibility, but still

NavigatorJones
03-24-2011, 11:55 PM
I like how you can only see his creepy, 'strawman' like mouth. His hat is awesome, though I think I prefer the first one. Looks like one of those farming hats, like he's going to go around farming noobs like the tiny man at his feet XD

MFTituS
03-25-2011, 02:55 PM
hey, great progress. loving the shapes and the story behind this god. the only problem is, he is sooo huge - it would take thousands of little humans to make a suitable skin out of them and even then it would be very thin ;)

Ferx
03-26-2011, 06:47 AM
Hey Blaz,

Really cool concept and like a lot the helmet design, great!!

Agree with Warhawk and BaronImpossible comments. Perhaps a forced proportions on the body. Im tinking in an exagerated gorilla body style ... only a silly idea, dont listen to me :D

Great work so far. Good luck and waiting for more updates. Cheers!!

NinjaA55N
03-27-2011, 11:56 PM
So I made him a bit taller, stretched his legs and made his arms thinner. On his helmet there is a human skin drying on the sun, getting ready for further process of god's cloth making. His left shoulder was also repainted, instead of an armor, there is a parasite or something on it, which skin people and "sew" everything together (with tentacles - closeup in a left bottom corner).
I also did a jar, where skinless people are stored, like pickles.

This is still just a concept. In the final image the god will most probably be in his throne, playing with sacrificed victims on strings, holding his jar and enjoying his carnage reign.

More to come!

http://3delavnica.com/@upload/Ninja_ASSN/dwv_sketch3.jpg

NinjaA55N
03-28-2011, 12:12 AM
BaronImpossible: Thank you for stopping by Simon! Im still playing with the design, and just now trying with some new variations of his arms. thnx!

walrus: Hey buddy! So u r on a different forum I see :) I'm watching you hehe.. Previous design of the helmet seemed a bit too funny to me, not scary enough. So I'm testing this shape at the moment, but most probably it's not the final one anyhow. The same goes for his arms. Thank you for ur constructive comment, I really appreciate ur opinion.

PavelSokov: haha, dont be silly :D things u like should always push u further, not discourage u :) and ur entry looks great as well! Thank you for stopping by.

NavigatorJones: I thought his first helmet design was too funny, as u said - a farm hat. And I'm looking for something more evil than that :) thnx for ur comment!

MFTituS: Exactly! And thousands and thousands of sacrificed victims should be ;) thnx for stopping by!

Ferx: Hey! Thank you for popping in my thread. With this concept I'm leaning more towards human-like body type. I know that a god can be any shape, but I created a story in my head, where he is from this mythology that was created by people. And people usually think of gods as looking similar to them, with some special characteristics or something which makes them ultra powerful. But as I mentioned before in some of previous replies, this is still work in progress, which could be completely changed in next couple of updates :) Thnx once again!

arokz
03-28-2011, 12:13 AM
I love it mate! + The description of your final concept is really cool and I cant wait to see it up! "playing with sacrificed victims on strings" < ---- Cant wait to see that!!! Keep rockn! :)

Nethermind
03-28-2011, 05:04 AM
wow that's great. One of my fav's so far.

BaronImpossible
03-28-2011, 11:26 AM
That's a spooky co-incidence, I recently altered my god of confinement so he's carrying a jar full of little people almost identical to that one! I've changed it now to a small cage but it still has the little shiny people inside :) Not that it matters, I bet a lot of these god-types carry jars and cages around with them. Anyhow, looking good, like what you've done to the arms and legs, makes him look more elegant now. Perhaps stick people on the spikes of his headgear, like the Shrike in the Dan Simmons novels who had a tree of pain he used to impale his victims on.

madbot
03-28-2011, 11:34 AM
Awesome work, what you've got is so cool at the moment. I love the scale of this thing. Can't wait to see more. Cheers.

Gyorkland
03-28-2011, 03:46 PM
big fan of your work man, its looking so creepy and evil awesome concept!

NinjaA55N
03-28-2011, 05:13 PM
Thank you so much guys! Will try to keep it up. :)

Here is the first color test.. not sure if its the right one yet, it need to pop out some more.. and I replaced tentacles with spider legs. I figured that spider can sew better than an octopus or something :)

http://3delavnica.com/@upload/Ninja_ASSN/dwv_sketch4.jpg

PavelSokov
03-28-2011, 05:22 PM
Oh man, this is looking badass!
Love the jar of skinned humans, very badass stuff.

I don't know if I appreciate the skinnier arms over the original ones though. I also liked the assymetry of the the arms vs the 4.

Warhawk
03-29-2011, 11:49 AM
Very nice work so far. I am linking it more and more. The colors are realy helping to pop out the shapes and the head crown looks good.

-the jar with humans inside is great idea. It kinda reminds me of sour pickles. I am intrested how will you incorporate the whole jar thing to the characters. I also like the idea of a throne. Maybe you could make that jar to be part of his meal. So you can make huge golden table with jar on it and he would be eating those humans.

-In the latest concept I like the spider leg things alot more than tenticles. It helps to break the soft round shapes from the rest of his body. Maybe I would just emphasis them with longer legs, to break the symmetry.

Anyway, I hope it helps. I am looking forward to see more.

Ferx
03-29-2011, 06:44 PM
Hey Blaz,

Really great updates :D Like a lot the combination of textures for the skin, armor, fabrics and head, cool. Perhaps you need to go a bit lees saturated on the colors to mantain the illusion of a giant proportions of your god. I know that is only a color test, dont listen to me :D

Great work and waiting for more. Cheers!

ersinerturk
04-16-2011, 01:52 PM
One of my favourites. You are doing/did a great job with the head design. Hanging bodies on his hands is a sweet detail. Can't wait to see the final image! Good luck!

lepilo
04-16-2011, 05:11 PM
I like the colors, well done with the spider legs too !

NinjaA55N
04-18-2011, 02:30 PM
hi guys! thank you for all ur great support!
unfortunately I will be unable to finish this piece in the short time that's left, fortunately due to some payed projects.
but I'm sure I'll finish it on my own a bit later :)

take care and all the best to all of u!

PavelSokov
04-20-2011, 04:54 PM
Oh common man, that ****ing sucks!
All you need is three sleepless nights to come up with a final painting. Just use the pose you already have! Common, I really was looking forward to this one.

NinjaA55N
04-25-2011, 10:36 AM
well, if by any chance I'll be able to finish this piece.. this is my sketch for the final painting. God of Carnage in his throne, with all the skin hanging around.

http://3delavnica.com/@upload/Ninja_ASSN/wip1.jpg

davidramonilustracion
04-25-2011, 10:54 AM
Hello
It's a pity, it looks great.
May you find some way the time to finish it.
See you.

ersinerturk
04-25-2011, 10:56 AM
Awesome! I hope you find the time. This deserves to be complete.

arokz
04-25-2011, 12:40 PM
Ooooh yeeeeeeaaahhhh! Please find the time :)

NinjaA55N
04-25-2011, 04:08 PM
update on some details and colors. thnx for the thumbs up guys!

http://3delavnica.com/@upload/Ninja_ASSN/wip2.jpg

NinjaA55N
04-25-2011, 08:11 PM
one last update for today.. this time a bit larger image.

http://3delavnica.com/@upload/Ninja_ASSN/wip3.jpg

arokz
04-25-2011, 11:26 PM
Oh wow... if this is you working with no time... I wonder what you can do with time. Freakn amazing stuff man and so fast. Cant wait to see this finished :)

MatejaPetkovic
04-26-2011, 01:00 AM
Great work Blaz, love it

When you find some free time i would like to talk to you, via pm or email/skype

Best,

M

Gyorkland
04-26-2011, 06:15 PM
you can do it man!!:thumbsup: is looking too amazing:buttrock:to leave it unfinished, good luck.

PavelSokov
04-26-2011, 06:18 PM
I am glad to see you are back in the game!

NinjaA55N
04-26-2011, 08:38 PM
Thank you so much for the support! I'll try to finish it by working an hour or two per day.. and hope it will be enough :) this is todays update:

http://3delavnica.com/@upload/Ninja_ASSN/wip4.jpg

arokz
04-26-2011, 11:33 PM
Heck yes!! Come on man... you got this! :) :) :) :) :)

DerrickSong
04-27-2011, 02:27 AM
hi, i m sure you can finish it before the dateline, it is a wonderful entry!!

jesusguijarro
04-27-2011, 12:41 PM
Very nice one, an applause

BaronImpossible
04-27-2011, 07:38 PM
Very nice work, coming along really well. Good luck, plenty of time to get it finished :)

ShogunWarrior
04-29-2011, 01:30 AM
This piece of artwork is fantastic. The colors are amazing and good color scheme. Can't wait to see more, take care for now.

beelow
05-04-2011, 08:59 PM
I love the idea and concept of this one Blaz. Yeah, long time no speak. Definitely dig the idea of pickling humans in a jar. I see that you are pouring a lot of love into this one. I am just stopping by the cg threads to see what is happening here. I am pretty impressed. I need to get to work now. Hehe. I am rolling with gameartisans again.

NinjaA55N
05-08-2011, 11:14 AM
So much to do and so little time left.. aAAaAaaAAA!
Another update here, more details r coming up and the background is slowly getting its final shape. I need to hurry up :)

http://3delavnica.com/@upload/Ninja_ASSN/wip11.jpg

NinjaA55N
05-08-2011, 11:19 AM
arokz: thnx man!

DerrickSong: I hope I'll be able to finish it, but thnx for heads up!

jesusguijarro: thank you!

BaronImpossible: yea, it was plenty of time :D now there is just time.. hopefully I'll be able to finish it. Thnx for stopping by!

ShogunWarrior: thank you! I'm glad u like it.

beelow: hey there my friend! So nice to see u stopping by. I haven't checked other forums yet, I guess, but will sure do so and find ur entry as well :) and yea, there is some love in this one haha.. even if I don't catch the deadline, I'll finish it on my own. Thnx for popping in!

PavelSokov
05-08-2011, 01:56 PM
Oh wow, simply gorgeous!

NinjaA55N
05-09-2011, 12:20 AM
thnx Pavel!

I believe this will be my last update before the final image. Some sketchy stuff to show whats coming up and a CG logo on the flag. Is that enough or should the logo be put directly on the god himself???

http://3delavnica.com/@upload/Ninja_ASSN/wip14.jpg

KrizEvil
05-09-2011, 03:04 AM
This artwork is amazing, congrats my friend. Can't wait to see it finished. :thumbsup:

Akiman
05-11-2011, 08:25 AM
Very cool work! Good luck!

NinjaA55N
05-11-2011, 07:45 PM
I think I'm near finish.. maybe some tweaks and last touch ups, but I have to look at it with fresh eyes again.. I would also like to ask you, which version do u prefer? Upper flipped or lower original? I can't decide anymore.. thank you very much!

http://3delavnica.com/@upload/Ninja_ASSN/dw_flip.jpg

yigit
05-11-2011, 07:51 PM
I think the lower one is better since his fist and the lightsource would be the first thing i'd look and then continue to scan the painting from left to right.
Great entry!

arokz
05-11-2011, 09:02 PM
This is insane, I agree with yigit. I also like the logo placement on his cloth/skirt but not too sure about the logo over on the flag. Again, this is insane. :bowdown:

Narandel
05-12-2011, 12:03 PM
Looking at how your entry is going, im really glad you made the decision to keep pushing forward with your entry. Possibly my most favourite so far! Awesome work!

PavelSokov
05-12-2011, 04:05 PM
That is beautifull! And you were thinking of not competing!

I vote for the lower one because most people read left to right, and the light source is on the left of that one.

Scriar
05-12-2011, 04:11 PM
Hi, great entry I really like the design, and colours. I agree with the other posters that the bottom one is better. I think if you see the raised arm first it emphasizes the power of the character more than if you were to first see it lowered.

NinjaA55N
05-13-2011, 10:42 AM
Thnx a lot guys! Your feedback really helped me, so now I can call it finished. I added some more details here and there and included some cooler tones for a better overall depth of the image. Right click and view image for a larger view, around 50% of the original.

Now to the presentation sheet :)

http://3delavnica.com/@upload/Ninja_ASSN/god%20of%20carnage%20final.jpg

budley
05-15-2011, 08:51 AM
Blaz, only just clicked on your link, and really glad I did. I love your style! The translucency of your colours is great, it makes it look like a real oil painting - old school style with new skool content, fantastic! The concept is fascinating, and the colour palette really complements the subject. This is one of my favourites. I'm looking forward to seeing the other sheets! :eek:

masterkey
05-17-2011, 08:47 AM
Great works!
I like your design, color and strokes.Very powerful.

KEXIN
05-18-2011, 06:03 AM
HI NinjaA55N~I love your painting so much and learn from it a lot! GOOD LUCK:applause:

PavelSokov
05-18-2011, 06:19 AM
I just viewed the high rez image. Oh man, it is beautifull!

And you were thinking of stopping before eh?

I have to say, I love everything about it, the textures are incredible, the colours are moody, and I especially love the random brush strokes of colour. Makes it so much more alive. For example there are a couple of green brush strokes to the right of the throne. Makes it that much more vibrant and chaoticly gorgeous.

Great work, I applaud you.

NinjaA55N
05-22-2011, 09:10 PM
Finiiiiiiiished :D
That was a close one, I just hope I did everything ok with uploads.. Thank you once again for the support. It was a great first experience with DW, and you guys were a great part of it!

MY FINAL SUBMISSION (http://www.gameartisans.org/contests/domwar/5/finals_cgsociety_2d_4994.html)

http://3delavnica.com/@upload/Ninja_ASSN/god-of-carnage-main.jpg
http://3delavnica.com/@upload/Ninja_ASSN/god-of-carnage-modeling.jpg
http://3delavnica.com/@upload/Ninja_ASSN/god-of-carnage-workflow.jpg

PavelSokov
05-22-2011, 09:25 PM
Thank god you made it!

And just to think you were going to drop your character..

I loved this thread, it was a pleasure. The only negative thing I can say is in the modeling sheet, the head has spikes on the side. In the side-view the spikes should be pointing in the camera, not backwards. Its not a big deal though.

NinjaA55N
05-22-2011, 09:34 PM
Thnx Pavel, u r right.. didn't notice it when I was in a hurry :)

KEXIN: I'm glad to hear that, thank you!

masterkey: thank you!

budley: I'm really happy to hear that, while I do get my inspiration from old masters of traditional painting :) thank you!

ishkur13
05-22-2011, 10:14 PM
Fantastic! Great character and presentation. That's a massive character.

yigit
05-22-2011, 10:56 PM
Wow! The final work is quite a great piece Blaz.I'd love to see that god as a boss in an mmo

BaronImpossible
05-23-2011, 10:00 AM
Very glad you finished this, it's an excellent piece. Somehow you've got your character to appear like a god and not just a warrior. Great work, and I'm sure the judges will think so too (whoever they are!)

budley
05-24-2011, 08:08 PM
Blaz, I'm totally with Simon on this one. You've really nailed that God feel which is a tough thing since there are some great works here but you've somehow managed to capture the essence of a God. A fantastic piece. Good luck!
Thanks for your comments on my piece, I'm sorry I never got the time to implement them satisfactorily.

CGTalk Moderation
05-24-2011, 08:08 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.