PDA

View Full Version : Dominance War V - Animation - Gatecrasher - Goddess of Retribution

Gatecrasher
03-18-2011, 09:47 PM
So far I just have the idea in my head. Story boards to come soon, and then much editing I'm sure, haha! I'll be using the model "Lilith", by CGLand's Painzang. Should be fun! Stay tuned.

KielFiggins
03-19-2011, 04:26 AM
Very cool, looking to see how yours develops!

Gatecrasher
03-29-2011, 05:30 AM
Storyboards are complete. I'm a bit concerned about time, as 20 seconds isn't a whole lot. I have a few ideas of how I could shorten it if need be, though. Started messing around with the model tonight as well. It looks pretty clean so I should be able to jump in and start rigging pretty much right away.

http://trancechild.com/images/DWar5/StoryBoards.jpg

audin
03-31-2011, 04:18 AM
Hi Gatecrasher, the idea looks quite promising. Can I suggest something for the start, instead of a crane cam dolly in, why dont you use close up cut shots of the character, maybe like the hand shot where she is freeing herself, than cut to the chain getting detached.
Otherwise I like the flight and the way it shall end. Cheers and best lucks!

Gatecrasher
04-02-2011, 12:38 AM
@ Audin

Thanks for the suggestion. I had considered starting it off that way. With a full screen of her impaled head, and then it re-animating to life. Might make it more creepy that way, then cut to a full shot of her grabbing the pole and yanking it out of her head. I'll keep your suggestion in mind. Thanks.

Gatecrasher
04-02-2011, 01:10 AM
I've timed out my storyboards and have come to the conclusion that I could barely fit all the motions into twenty seconds. So, time for plan B. Which is, focus on the two most important ideas of my animation.

1) Show the transition from death back to power. So I'll keep all the stuff related to her struggling to stand up from being impaled and chained to the ground.

2) Scream in fury and fly off to deal out some retribution. So I'll keep all the stuff where she sprouts wings and flying off.

So basically, anything related to her staff is gone. This should give me plenty of time to fit the other stuff. I don't think I'll be redrawing the storyboards to reflect this change. So little free time, I must press ahead.

I'm going with a biped rig to drive the body animation, and have been looking into rigging solutions that I can use for the wings. I blocked in some biped bones but will not end up using those as I want something more elegant/more functionality. I also haven't plopped in the facial bones yet. But, here's a screen shot of my progress. I've added in spans of geo to help with finger, spine, and wing deformation. I'm itching to get started!

http://www.trancechild.com/images/DWar5/Rigging1.jpg

audin
04-02-2011, 05:06 AM
Even I was going through the storyboard I am chalking down and found out that I can hardly fit the 20 sec time frame. Rig looks cool, hoping to see some tests soon.

One question: Is is that all the WIP has to be put up with the logo's and name like you have done? :hmm:

TheGrak
04-02-2011, 05:44 AM
Nice rig! :)

Gatecrasher
05-08-2011, 01:48 AM
So life and work and everything else has derailed me big time on my entry, but I'm back at it, cranking on my entry in hopes that I'll have something decent to submit. Here's my blocking pass:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9q0OL4PATY

She will pop her smaller wings too, I just haven't animated those yet. They'll come out before the big ones, probably when she is walking away from the little alter she was impaled upon. The alter (the cylinder) will have the CG Society logo on it, so it will end with it nicely in view. I will post more animation progress probably Sunday night, or Monday morning.

theANMATOR2B
05-09-2011, 05:47 PM
John, I like the wings reveal. If you wanted to save a second you could have her jump into the air and have the wings come out in mid-air.

I mention this only because the youtube video is 21 seconds long. Would hate to see you get disqualified from the comp because you used more than 20 seconds (600 frames).

Gatecrasher
05-09-2011, 05:57 PM
@ theANIMATOR2B - thanks for the idea, though it only says 21 seconds because Youtube rounds up. It's actually 600 frames long at 30 frames per second. So, I'll render out 599 and youtube will say 20 seconds. :hmm:

Gatecrasher
05-09-2011, 06:07 PM
Almost half of the animation has 1st pass animation on it. At around the 10 second mark she is supposed to pull the stake out of her left thigh and stumble to the edge where she'll pop her big wings. I was fighting that all last night and think that there just isn't time to make it look right, so I yanked all that animation out. In fact, I think I'll just get rid of that stake alltogether so I don't have to deal with it. Instead, she'll do the big swipe to break all the stakes in her body off, then walk with power over to the edge where she will pop her big wings. I'm thinking that when she does the walking is when the smaller wings will surface. We'll see how it goes. Anyways, link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iwna5HqSkI

It all needs tons of love still. But, it's progress.

Gatecrasher
05-13-2011, 09:53 PM
I altered the path she walks in the animation so that I could eliminate a camera cut that I was not happy with. Stubbed in her walking to the edge, and other minor touches here or there:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlMN3JCawho

I'm so glad about the extension. I may actually be able to work this up to completion now. :D

theANMATOR2B
05-14-2011, 03:23 PM
Just viewed your last update. It's looking good.
I really like the ending with the logo on the platform, but the rules state no texturing allowed. If the logo is modeled you'll be alright.

One of my original ideas was to use the cgsociety logo as a portal/gate being magically opened, but I couldn't work out the motions. I decided to go with just an overlay but I like your logo application much better.

Gatecrasher
05-15-2011, 07:58 PM
I'm pretty sure I'm allowed to place the logo on the floor (in the form of a texture.) Check out this paragraph in the rules section...

Important: Your animation presentation must include your team's logo emblem and the name of your God and type... in your animation. It can be on the floor, it can be as an overlay that frames your animation, it's up to you.

So, I plan on keeping the Cg Society logo on the floor, and having the name of the god (and type) as an overlay. Which means I have to come up with a name for her, hmmm... You bring up an interesting point, however, about modeling it into the floor. I may try to do both, to add some depth to it. We'll see. I'm not sure I could even model that in 750 poly's or less.

Gatecrasher
05-24-2011, 05:27 AM
Well, I turned in what I had done at the time. Here's the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a02Eg9TRXHQ

It's a little (well, more than a little) frustrating that I just couldn't get whole sections of animation done. I didn't even include the chain that is supposed to be strapped around her neck - so the animation has her grabbing and pulling on an invisible chain. I'm sure viewers will totally understand what I am going for here /sarcasm. But it is war after all. There's going to be some casualties. :scream:

I have half a mind to keep going and actually finish this piece up, with sound and everything. It seems like too much work went into to it just to leave it in its unfinished state.

TheGrak
05-24-2011, 04:58 PM
I really like your animation! It'd be cool to see it finished up, but I think it's awesome as is.

CGTalk Moderation
05-24-2011, 04:58 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.