PDA

View Full Version : Dominace War V - 3D - midost - Goddess of the Dawn

Midost
03-18-2011, 07:34 PM
Midost enters the arena! I'm very excited to compete again. Good luck to all!

Concepts coming soon.

Midost
03-24-2011, 08:23 AM
This will be a 3d entry. If any moderators get a chance to move this to that section, that would be most lovely.

The Goddess of the Dawn enters the challenge on her golden steed, her gown of stars drapes over its flanks She holds her lantern high, illuminating the landscape. Having heard the call of war, she has donned her sun burst armor.

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii261/midost/concepting03232011.jpg

I'm pretty anxious to get modeling. I've got a base mesh of the horse done, and will start the girl next. More updates soon! (hopefully)

Kirt
03-24-2011, 04:05 PM
Please PM me a proper title for your thread and I will edit it and then move your thread to the correct forum. Thanks.

Midost
04-07-2011, 08:36 AM
Work might be letting up a bit, so I might have time to finish this challenge yet. A bit behind schedule, but maybe this could still happen.

I've got a base mesh for the horse and woman going. I'm still not quite happy with the woman's face... I'll see how I feel about her tomorrow...

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii261/midost/body_base_04072011.jpg

VictorFornes
04-07-2011, 10:51 AM
Good sculpting man. Have to ask ... why the fists are closed?... just curious about that issue.

The theme is interesting an looks like an greek god.

Midost
04-08-2011, 12:32 AM
Thanks! I decided to modeled the fists closed as I know one hand will be grasping the lantern, and the other will be holding the mane. It seemed like a good place to save some polys. Time will tell if I backed myself into a corner or not....

kogen
04-08-2011, 07:51 AM
Yeah excellent sculpt. She is pretty even in that state. I'll looking forward to seeing more :D

Beneto
04-12-2011, 06:59 AM
I like what you got going :)

Sculpting that horse is going to be a real treat. Those have graceful and very strong shapes.

I like your concept. I think it would also be interesting, in the color palette, if you would push a high contrast of darks and lights, to echo the "Dawn" theme in a subtle fashion. (example: glowing armor vs dark gown, etc...)

I am looking forward to see more!

KingstonZ
04-12-2011, 04:23 PM
Great sculpt you have there, i will need to sculpt my female character soon... Cheers..

Midost
04-20-2011, 01:51 AM
Thanks! Ya, the plan is to play up the light and dark, midnight blue vs red and gold. I started a slightly new design on the armor. This is the neutral pose for her right now, which I know looks a tad silly :)

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii261/midost/WIP041911.jpg

Next up, horse anatomy pass, more armor for her arms, anatomy pass for female legs. Maybe try out female leg armor? Hm...

Midost
04-22-2011, 07:25 AM
Roughing in more armor. Trying to keep up the pace...

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii261/midost/WIP042111.jpg

KCassidy
04-26-2011, 01:03 AM
Hey Midost this is looking nice! Great anatomy too, the hands and face are already looking particularly superb.

As a side note: I'd like to see the horse scaled up. I think she might feel more powerful with a giant muscled steed. Or not, either way looking forward to seeing this progress

Midost
04-29-2011, 09:18 AM
Thanks Kevin! I agree that the horse needed to be more dramatic. I think this current pass is closer to that. I have started painting it, though this image is half paint over. I'm definitely thinking leg armor is necessary now, too.

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii261/midost/WIP042911.jpg

Metatron001
04-29-2011, 09:17 PM
Cool idea Margaret! I agree, she would look more complete with leg armor. Looks a little barren now. I also agree that the horse could be bigger. Like a Clidesdale War-Horse. Are you planning to do the flames with cards?

Beneto
05-01-2011, 06:44 AM
Those flaming hairs are badass. If you can pull this kind of motion in your 3D model, that is going to be great.

I agree that leg armor is necessary. It will visually balance the female figure and would give for a nice opportunity to add more interest/contrast with harder shapes like the shoulder pads.

This is getting better and better. Keep us posted :)

Midost
05-23-2011, 06:44 PM
Thanks guys! All suggestions have been a great help.

I've got images to post later tonight, but one thing stands in the way of me finishing right now, and that's the alpha hair. Mental ray seems to not like alpha transparency and incandescence. It works for for the diffuse map, but when I plug that diffuse map into the incandescence attribute, the whole thing glows.

I've tried things like "alpha is luminance" and "maya style alpha detection" and neither has worked. Has anyone else run into the problem?

CGTalk Moderation
05-23-2011, 06:44 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.