PDA

View Full Version : Frost

Stivow
03-18-2011, 03:37 PM
Hey there,

Just wanted to know if we could have some infos about that new Frost plugin developped by Thinkbox (Bobo crew again ^^).

Especially the part where it says we can increase the particle count with RF sims (long time I've been waiting for this) :bowdown:

Is there a way to catch a trial version of this beast ?

Thanks

JohnnyRandom
03-18-2011, 06:48 PM
Is there a way to catch a trial version of this beast ?

Thanks

Just download and install. Without a license it works the same as Krakatoa, it defaults to Demo/Evaluation mode.

EDIT: Sorry there is no download link, contact the Sales department :)

Bobo
03-18-2011, 07:12 PM
Especially the part where it says we can increase the particle count with RF sims

I am going to write a tutorial about this over the weekend, but here are the basis steps for when you get your evaluation license:

*Create a PRT Loader with your data (needs mainly Position and Velocities)
*Create a Frost and pick the PRT Loader as the source (Frost can load PRT and BIN files too, but having a PRT Loader allows you to tweak channels BEFORE they get meshed).
*Switch to Zhu/Bridson meshing mode and tweak the mesh until you like it.
*Check the option "Velocity->Map Channel" and set it to 2.
*Add a Relax modifier and tweak its Iterations if you want to smooth out the surface into more fluid-like shape.
*Create a PRT Volume and pick the Frost mesh - this will give you particles inside the Frost mesh's volume.
*Add a KCM on top of the PRT Volume and wire Input Channel Mapping 2 -> Output Channel Velocity. This will copy the velocity data from the Frost mesh interpolated from the input particles to the PRT Volume's particles, giving them similar velocities to the original ones.

If you would render in Krakatoa with Motion Blur, your PRT Volume particles should move like the original particles, and you can increase the count as high as you want via the Multiple Per Region options of the PRT Volume...

A bonus feature would be to use another KCM to grab the Frost Mesh in a Geometry Surface operator, measure the distance to the surface and set the Density based on it, thus producing a custom falloff of the Density from the original particle's position to the surface of the blob. I will demonstrate this in the tutorial as it needs some deeper knowledge.

Stivow
03-18-2011, 08:01 PM
Thanks Bobo, I'm trying this as soon as possible.

Steve Green
03-21-2011, 03:35 PM
Although I've already bought it, I wonder if it's worth making the demo run in non-wireframe mode?

I can see why they've done it - with the way viewports are going, you could preview a viewport and use that as a pass - but I think it makes it a bit awkward to demo if you can't see it in the viewport shaded or render.

Cheers,

Steve

Bobo
03-21-2011, 05:24 PM
Although I've already bought it, I wonder if it's worth making the demo run in non-wireframe mode?

A number of Beta builds had their demo mode doing the full shading in the viewport. I don't see why one would need the full shading in demo mode since Thinkbox is providing evaluation licenses to try it out without the demo mode limitations before buying it.

So I don't think anyone is expected to make a purchase decision based on the demo mode, it is just what you would get if your license was broken or someone without a license opened a scene containing FROST.

Steve Green
03-21-2011, 05:28 PM
Ah, OK - I thought that was how the demo would be.

Cheers

Steve

Bobo
03-22-2011, 12:12 AM
Especially the part where it says we can increase the particle count with RF sims

As promised, I wrote a tutorial over the weekend that shows the basic approach.
When using RealFlow data, you will mesh the PRT Loader itself and the results should look even better than what I did with a simple PFlow because your particle count will be higher and the distribution will be much better.
http://www.thinkboxsoftware.com/frost-combining-frost-and-krak/
Please let me know if any of the steps do not make sense... :)

PsychoSilence
03-22-2011, 01:11 AM
Sweet! Sharing the goodness on the twittersphere :)

CGTalk Moderation
03-22-2011, 01:11 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.