PDA

View Full Version : Dominance War V - 3D - Darkonerster - Reptilian God of War

Darkonerster
03-17-2011, 08:43 PM
Hi everyone,

here are some first concepts for my character idea of a reptilian god of war. The main foundation stones for this design originate from cgsociety's logo and a mixture between horse (legs), dinosaur and cobra anatomy. The bottom picture is the one with four character variations I am deciding between. 4-6 are identical apart from a slightly varied back armour decoration. Please let me know what you think of them and wherever I should continue polishing the design or take it in a different route.

Reptilian God of War background [extract from Tal'Sheran's Book of Lore]:
Fierce and reckless, this god has made an infamous reputation for himself by both men and god alike for his habits. The legend holds that in one of his battles he lost his bottom jaw to a fine warrior superior to him in swordsmanship. In the sight of his approaching death, he decided to cast away his honor and dignity in order to survive and leapt at his unsuspecting victim. His sharp front teeth sank into the champion's neck and soon enough a dry corpse was left behind. Ever since the victorious survival, his bloodthirstiness drove him into many battles to feast upon the fallen and drink blood in order to sustain his life. The historians call him Praeliodracor because his true name is unknown. Lore also describes how this reptile's hunger forced him to beg his own kin's gods for an endless supply of blood. However their denial ended with their deaths after a century-long battle and upon feasting on their essence, the reptile transcended into a god himself. He wasn't heared of ever since for milleaniums. Wherever this is based on facts or rumours, nobody knows. But it is assumed that belittling his given name brings his wrath upon the unaware victim. Many people use his name as a curse, nonetheless others use it more frequently during their jokes, such as P... [the word trails off into a scribble; fellow historians noted that they found their fellow monk's corpse completely dry with two large holes in the neck]

Concept 1

http://th01.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/f/2011/076/f/8/dw5___concept_art_wip_by_darkonerster-d3bucvq.jpg

Concept 2

http://th04.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/f/2011/076/b/a/dw5___concept_art_wip_2_by_darkonerster-d3bud0p.jpg

Concept 3

http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2011/079/7/5/dw5___concept_art_wip_3_by_darkonerster-d3c3vz5.jpg

Sk8erWolf
03-18-2011, 02:29 AM
Great work :)

Phoenix-06
03-18-2011, 02:53 AM
Nice concepts so far though I fear you've just gone for the first design you made, the contest runs for a very long time so there is plenty of time to really tear into it and create many different concepts. By all means keep on with this guy but maybe come up with some others as well, you might find that one of them you either prefer or parts of it you like and go on to merge them ideas with your current concept. Go nuts this guys a God.

JinVi
03-18-2011, 03:57 AM
Cool outfit,nice design,luck in war!

karthikarctic
03-18-2011, 06:59 AM
great design and complexity. I like both your ideas :)

Cabo
03-18-2011, 09:42 AM
Nr. 3 on the 2nd concept is cool.

artcreator
03-18-2011, 01:54 PM
Cool design!
CGS logo is everywhere! Haha!

AlexaSharlOt
03-18-2011, 06:21 PM
I really enjoy you concept ideas my personal favorite is snaky one, but its my personal thoughts. Keep it up.

Adam-Bomb
03-18-2011, 08:07 PM
Interesting back story and some sweet sketches. Keep Rockin!

jinjorz
03-19-2011, 02:57 AM
nice name! keep it up!

Darkonerster
03-21-2011, 02:42 AM
A lot of people have been telling me to go for the naga/snake-like design, so I tried to do a couple variations and again play with the proportions. I will make an upgraded bipedal version of it hopefully soon but currently I am mostly occupied with my final year project so after another two concepts I might need to dive into 3d if I ever want to finish this on time.

In any case, what do you think of it people?

Concept 3

http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2011/079/7/5/dw5___concept_art_wip_3_by_darkonerster-d3c3vz5.jpg

Darkonerster
03-21-2011, 03:15 AM
@ Sk8erWolf : Thanks you!

@ Phoenix-06 : Thanks a lot for your comments. It is more or less true that I went for the first idea that came to my head when thinking about the god topic. However a final year project and a yet to be started dissertation don't give me much luxury to experiment. I will try to do some variations on-the-go but most likely I will stick with this guy as the primary idea.

@ JinV : Thanks a lot :) Glad you like it!

@ karthikarctic : I am happy that you enjoy the work :) I'm trying to improve my digital drawing skills ever since I started using Photoshop more properly last summer. But uh huh, my perspective skills still need polishing but I can afford that since I am not doing 2D, right? :D Either way I attempt to make work detailed and better each time I do anything, hopefully it will show in the final result. :arteest:

@ Cabo : Your voice, voice of Alexa and the voice of a handful course-mates has been heared and acknowledged. Hopefully you will like the new snake-ish designs (concept 3)!

@ artcreator : Thanks man! This guy is going to be one of big 3D logo :p

@ AlexaSharlOt : Snaky you say and snaky design it shalt be! Glad you liked the concepts and hopefully the new one won't let you down!

@ Adam-Bomb : Thanks dude!

@ jinjorz : Thanks!

independhans
03-21-2011, 05:19 AM
great concepts, maybe you could do something with the fact, that reptiles getting sun energies.

Cabo
03-21-2011, 06:32 AM
I would go with the A variant. The forms are coming out nicely in that one, but i like the decoration behind the head in the C variant.

lappixx0
03-21-2011, 07:29 AM
Wow I like the C because its back decoration gives me a real sense of ' GOD' !

yeus
03-21-2011, 08:55 PM
great work... C is very nice... :-)

GaeasHerald
03-22-2011, 12:33 AM
Sweet, nice concepts and flavour text! C does it for me, keep it up.

CGTalk Moderation
03-22-2011, 12:33 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.