PDA

View Full Version : does dual graphic card (SLI/CrossFire) works with 3ds max? n vray?

-DT-
03-17-2011, 04:39 PM
Hello guys...

lately I'm planning to make a new rig for my new pc. planning to get GTX460-480 or GTX460-480... (depends on budget)

but my worry is that im afraid 3DS Max doesnt support both graphic card. means it wont fully utilize both GPU power... will it?

there are 2 reasons I wanna use dual graphic card...
1st is for the purpose of 3Dsmax viewport (increase fps rate dramatically), which hopefully can speed up my work flow when comes to very high polygons like 2-5mil or more?
2nd purpose is for Vray-RT. which as we all know currently vray-RT are running at GPU power. im not sure if vray-RT will fully utilize both GPU power or not...

i been hearing some people said cannot, but some said can. but as far as i can remember, chaosgroup used 3 graphic card together in 1 rig to do vray-RT demo in siggraph.

so i assume it can be done? or do i need to install any 3rd party software/plugin to make 3dsmax/vray fully utilize them?

JoshuaV
03-17-2011, 04:53 PM
You can have multiple cards but you wont be running them in SLI/Crossfire (enabled/disabled in the driver), which is mostly for gaming.

You can have one card keeping Max responsive, and the other doing the VrayRT render.

Or you can have both cards doing the VrayRT render but you may notice significant UI slugginess if the settings are taxing the cards.

I'm not sure if Max can utilize more than one video card for itself.

imashination
03-17-2011, 05:45 PM
Just because you have multiple gfx cards installed does not mean they should be set to sli or crossfire, they can be utilized without strapping them together into a single unit.

To answer your specific questions, no it wont affect the 3ds max viewport and yes, it will make vray Rt faster (not standard vray renders though) so long as you DONT set them to SLI.

cgbeige
03-17-2011, 07:10 PM
don't use SLI with graphics apps - it just causes problems, from what I've read. Google Photoshop SLI problems.

-DT-
03-19-2011, 07:10 AM
sorry for the very late reply guys... been busy with some work lately... anyway...

You can have multiple cards but you wont be running them in SLI/Crossfire (enabled/disabled in the driver), which is mostly for gaming.

You can have one card keeping Max responsive, and the other doing the VrayRT render.

Or you can have both cards doing the VrayRT render but you may notice significant UI slugginess if the settings are taxing the cards.

I'm not sure if Max can utilize more than one video card for itself.
something new to me... i used to thought when having multiple graphic card, we should SLI/crossfire it, else the machine will only use 1 graphic card...

from what you said, i can choose to utilize 1 card on max and 1 card on vrayRT separately, OR i can use 2 card GPU power doing vrayRT...

but how do i set it, so that the graphic card will do the job that i want them to do? (concentrate on max or vrayRT). is there any specific software or is it setting that come with vrayRT/3dsmax for all these controling???

and also is there any software or how do i check which graphic card is working on which application/software/purposes?

Just because you have multiple gfx cards installed does not mean they should be set to sli or crossfire, they can be utilized without strapping them together into a single unit.

To answer your specific questions, no it wont affect the 3ds max viewport and yes, it will make vray Rt faster (not standard vray renders though) so long as you DONT set them to SLI.
i actually posted the exact topic in cgarchitect as well... there is someone said that his company having few computer that is using SLI graphic card, and they do notice that SLI graphic card giving better performance in 3ds max viewport though... but the differences is only noticeable when it comes to very very high polygon counts.

here is the link
http://forums.cgarchitect.com/64980-does-dual-graphic-card-sli-crossfire-works-3ds-max-n-vray.html

don't use SLI with graphics apps - it just causes problems, from what I've read. Google Photoshop SLI problems.
thanks for the info bro. will look into photoshop SLI problems as well...

Srek
03-19-2011, 11:01 AM
i actually posted the exact topic in cgarchitect as well... there is someone said that his company having few computer that is using SLI graphic card, and they do notice that SLI graphic card giving better performance in 3ds max viewport though... but the differences is only noticeable when it comes to very very high polygon counts.

here is the link
http://forums.cgarchitect.com/64980-does-dual-graphic-card-sli-crossfire-works-3ds-max-n-vray.html

The guy seems to be a bit clueless. If you use SLI only one of the cards can be used to connect monitors, otherwise SLI will be off.
As for him reporting a slight increase of performance, thats actualy the first time i hear from someone reporting this. There were several claims that some unkown third party did get a speed improvement but noone ever showed anything and all efforts to test this out myself did return no speedup at all. It's realy only games that directly support SLI/Crossfire that get any advantage from this kind of setup.

If you want to use multiple GPU cards for specific software you realy should contact the manufacturer of the software and ask them if the setup you have planned realy gives you an advantage.

Cheers
Björn

imashination
03-19-2011, 11:40 AM

The placebo effect is a great thing

JoshuaV
03-19-2011, 02:59 PM
sorry for the very late reply guys... been busy with some work lately... anyway...

something new to me... i used to thought when having multiple graphic card, we should SLI/crossfire it, else the machine will only use 1 graphic card...

from what you said, i can choose to utilize 1 card on max and 1 card on vrayRT separately, OR i can use 2 card GPU power doing vrayRT...

but how do i set it, so that the graphic card will do the job that i want them to do? (concentrate on max or vrayRT). is there any specific software or is it setting that come with vrayRT/3dsmax for all these controling???

and also is there any software or how do i check which graphic card is working on which application/software/purposes?

VrayRT has a utility that allows you to choose which/how many cards you want to use. Simple checkbox dialogue box. As far as other interactive GPU render engines go, I have no idea. Though it is a basic concept/ability I would assume they're just as capable in utilizing what cards you prefer.

Without setting anything up, the card that has your monitors will be utilized by whatever program you're running by default, and your extra cards will sit idle until they're accessed. Whether it's another monitor, SLI or an application like VrayRT.

cgbeige
03-19-2011, 05:22 PM
The placebo effect is a great thing

indeed. We're all a victim sometimes. I just put more RAM in my machine and on first boot, it *felt* faster, like the difference between 15GB and 24GB of RAM was enough to suddenly add speed. It was all placebo effect. Graphics drivers are finicky enough that adding SLI is like a big bucket of sand with MORE SPEED written on it. Toss it in your gas tank and watch your machine fly!

-DT-
03-20-2011, 02:34 AM
The guy seems to be a bit clueless. If you use SLI only one of the cards can be used to connect monitors, otherwise SLI will be off.
As for him reporting a slight increase of performance, thats actualy the first time i hear from someone reporting this. There were several claims that some unkown third party did get a speed improvement but noone ever showed anything and all efforts to test this out myself did return no speedup at all. It's realy only games that directly support SLI/Crossfire that get any advantage from this kind of setup.

If you want to use multiple GPU cards for specific software you realy should contact the manufacturer of the software and ask them if the setup you have planned realy gives you an advantage.

Cheers
Björn
thanks for the info!!! much appreciate it. :)

VrayRT has a utility that allows you to choose which/how many cards you want to use. Simple checkbox dialogue box. As far as other interactive GPU render engines go, I have no idea. Though it is a basic concept/ability I would assume they're just as capable in utilizing what cards you prefer.

Without setting anything up, the card that has your monitors will be utilized by whatever program you're running by default, and your extra cards will sit idle until they're accessed. Whether it's another monitor, SLI or an application like VrayRT.
i see... will look into VrayRT utility when my company bring in the vray2.0. thanks!!!

digitalworkshop
03-21-2011, 02:16 PM
Hi DT,

I am also looking to build my own PC. And i also need it for MAYA - VRAY - VRAY RT and Mental Ray and NUKE. It would be nice if you could share the rig you have built. I didnt know much about SLI/Crossfire. Also i dont have a budget/need to go for multiple cards at the moment. It would be nice to see what have you built for your use.

thanks man.

cheers.

Digi

-DT-
03-24-2011, 02:26 PM
Hi DT,

I am also looking to build my own PC. And i also need it for MAYA - VRAY - VRAY RT and Mental Ray and NUKE. It would be nice if you could share the rig you have built. I didnt know much about SLI/Crossfire. Also i dont have a budget/need to go for multiple cards at the moment. It would be nice to see what have you built for your use.

thanks man.

cheers.

Digi

looking at the feed back, i most probably will go for single GPU card. :)

cgbeige
03-24-2011, 08:28 PM
there's nothing wrong with using two cards in your machine for GPU apps but SLI will typically cause display problems. I use a Radeon for my display and a headless Quadro 4000 for GPU/CUDA and it works fine. That way, the displays aren't affected by GPU rendering. But that doesn't seem to work in Windows - you need the displays to be connected to the card to get CUDA to work, in my experience.

http://www.can-con.ca/tumblrpics/atiscreenCUDAfail.png

digitalworkshop
03-24-2011, 10:33 PM
Hi DT,

yes, same here. I will also go for a single GPU card. but a good one. latest and a powerful one.something i can rely upon and use for another 3 years atleast. i usually upgrade or rebuild my PC every 3-4 years. last time it was in 2008.Now its time. I would go for a Intel Core i7 970 CPU , ASUS Rampage III extreme Gfx card (it supports up to 24gb ram) , ASUS gtx 580 1536MB Graphic card and 12 GB corsair RAM. this should suffice. its around 2000 Euros. And thats my budget as well. I needed something which i can use for both VRay and Vray-RT for Maya. Also, eagerly waiting for ARNOLD renderer for MAYA.lets see. :beer:

cgbeige
03-25-2011, 03:15 PM
does Arnold use GPU? I don't think it does

CGTalk Moderation
03-25-2011, 03:15 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.