PDA

View Full Version : 3dsMax got PSD right

Julez4001
10-21-2003, 11:22 PM
http://www.cebas.com/products/feature.asp?UD=10-7888-33-788&PID=38&FID=380

Checkout the videos...
the plugin automatcallu separate the surfaces as channelf or easy election and you don't have to know any tricks for shadows it exports them out and you have a layer in PS.

Can we have this ...Please.

leigh
10-21-2003, 11:32 PM
Isn't this the same as LightWave's PSD render buffer export option?

Jockomo
10-21-2003, 11:47 PM
Almost.

Lightwave puts the layers in the wrong order and chooses the wrong blending mode for one of them. Nothing that can't be fixed manually, but a pain when dealing with many frames I guess.

Lee talks about it in this (ftp://gecko.newtek.com/multimedia/eyeon/PSD_Saving.mov) tutorial.

I have a feeling they will fix this in 8, they've gotten alot of complaints about it.

Julez4001
10-22-2003, 02:54 AM
No Leigh..check out the channel buffer.
You can have all of your surfaces export as channels.

Plus there is a great shadow for easy selection...
Watch the videos

BazC
10-22-2003, 08:35 AM
Slightly OT, I've played about with psd export from Lightwave and it works OK with normal lights but if I use GI there's no illumination in the layers (apart from the base layer) Does psd export not work with GI/Image based illumination or have I just missed something? I'm fairly new to Lightwave so I've probably missed some checkbox or something!

I can't get the tutorial Jockomo posted to load at the moment does it explain the use of psd export and compositing, like which layers are used for what purpose etc?

Thanks in advance - Baz

EDIT Just noticed the file size of that tut, 31 Mb! I could sit here all day and that would never finish loading on my 56k connection lol! Anyone know of any more manageable tuts on .psd export?

wizlon
10-22-2003, 10:59 AM
Here's how I do it, layered in this order:

Reflection Colour - Screen
Specular Shade - Screen
Main Shadow Pass - Multiply
Radiosity Pass - Multiply
Raw Colour - Multiply
Diffuse Shade - Base Layer

If you have caustics transparency etc.. you will need to capture it in a beauty pass. and mask in PS.

Limbus
10-22-2003, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by Jockomo
Almost.

Lightwave puts the layers in the wrong order and chooses the wrong blending mode for one of them. Nothing that can't be fixed manually, but a pain when dealing with many frames I guess.

Not with photoshop actions!
Set it up once and your done.

Florian

Julez4001
10-22-2003, 12:52 PM
Still don't get the channel pass that his baby gives you....
That would be so kool to have and a GI pass would smooth and a built-in layer for lensflares and glows instead using a sep pass.
The thing i scalled a manager because that what it does..manages. LW NEEDS this ..we have something but we need more thought put in ours.

global enable/disable output of render elements as layers
enable/disable output of render element as layer
automatic and manual layer sorting

choosable layer blending mode (including new ones since Adobe® Photoshop® 7.0)
optional layer tranparency output
premultiplied/nonpremultiplied color
switchable layer visibilty
builtin presets for 3dsmax render elements
builtin presets for finalToon render elements

optional layer mask output
custom presets can be created (e.g. for 3rd party render elements)

BazC
10-22-2003, 04:11 PM
Thanks Wizlon!

wizlon
10-22-2003, 04:38 PM
BazC

To do the radiosity pass I change all surfaces to white, 100% diffuse, no spec, gloss etc.. turn off cast shadows from all other lights, and then comp the radiosity pass in PS. there's probably a more elegant way though.

BazC
10-22-2003, 10:22 PM
Thanks again! Got some experiments to make now :o) - Baz

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 10:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.