PDA

View Full Version : ZBrush to Max

Meatshield72
03-17-2011, 01:15 AM
I am SURE there plenty of subjects on this...but I have to word it in my own words.

I have a model in 3D Studio Max 2011 64 bit. I export selected using ZBrush preset option.

Open the OBJ in Zbrush and sculpt away.

I create a displacement, and normal maps. Turn those to face the proper way in Photoshop.

Export the lower resolution model into OBJ and load it into max.

Load up a displacement map, lower the intesity to 10, Object is still blown out and loses lots of detail. Lower it more, still puffy and blown out.

Try loading a normal map, same thing.

Turn those off and just put on my Diffuse map.

The map stretches in awkward areas! It still has the same UVs I made in Max.

Delete that OBJ. Go back to ZBrush and use Decemation Master.

I decemate at 20% leaving me with 600,000 polys....and even still not enough detail when loaded into Max.

At least when I put the Diffuse map on, it only stretches in....the sculpted areas! Making my model look like crap.

Anyone got any ideas? I would love to get this together so I can make a good portfolio poece out of it.

Psyk0
03-18-2011, 06:28 PM
How does it look when you throw a checker map on the model to check UV distortion? Might need to adjust your UV's.

ToddD
03-23-2011, 01:49 PM
First off check your UV's as recommended, bad uv's can cause this for sure.

Are you using a displace modifier, vray displacement, or mental ray displacement?

First thing I would recommend is using rendertime displacement, not any of the displacement modifiers that require a high polycount to do the job. It the model is bloated and lacking detail you need to either adjust your polycount(if using a displace modifier) or the edge length settings if using rendertime displacement.

There is a much more efficient workflow, why not use goz to go between apps? Why not try texture painting in zbrush? using this combination you should get predictable results.

good luck!

todd

CGTalk Moderation
03-23-2011, 01:49 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.