PDA

View Full Version : XSI Foundation 4.2 (32 bit) and Windows 7 (64 bit)?

Devils1stBorn
03-16-2011, 06:58 PM
Guys, I know its much older software, but let's face it, once autodesk got their hands on it the price made it out of reach for the little pocket. I'm wondering if there's a resource that got the two to work together without major issues?

Thanks

bravmm
03-17-2011, 11:25 AM
contact SI support, or search for solutions on xsibase.com.
this has come up so many times already it's easy to fix :)

Hirazi
03-17-2011, 11:30 AM
What kind of problems do you run into?
The only thread I could dig up on XSI 4 with a significantly newer OS (Vista in this case) can be found here (http://www.xsibase.com/forum/index.php?board=9;action=display;threadid=38038)
(edited out my probably wrong info about Aero)
But again: try it and report your problems, there might be hope yet! ;)

xsisupport
03-17-2011, 02:19 PM
Foundation was discontinued product, even before the Autodesk acquisition.
Autodesk doesn't support Foundation or any other Avid products, except to provide licensing support (http://autodesk.com/softimagemanualactivation).

Any XSI version that is 5.0 or earlier will have some problems on Vista and Windows. The main one that I remember is that buttons in pop-up dialogs don't respond to mouse clicks. You'll have to use the keyboard shortcuts for things like Ok and Cancel.

There are a handful of people who could not get Foundation to work at all on Vista. Otherwise, most people got Foundation to run.

Here's the old wiki page that detailed Vista issues:

Softimage does not officially Vista for XSI 6.x, however it does run on Vista and we have clients using it in production.

There should be no issues with XSI 7.0, Softimage 2010 and up. We do not recommend using Vista in the Windows Classic Theme - which means Vista Aero off - because there can be refresh issues in the Animation Editor and with some context menus.

Issues include:

We have had unconfirmed reports of problems reported using ATI FireGL and Radeon cards
UDEV00237064 Vista x64 viewport rectangle selection bug with XSI32 and XSI64 with Aero compositing. Work-around available below.
UDEV00236594 Must install with Admin rights otherwise License Manager will not function. UDEV00238249 XSI Cab utility not working on Vista. This problem occurs because on some Vista installation, the c:\ location is not writable. You can work-around this problem by making sure you can create files in the root of the C: drive. In future version of XSI, these files will be created in the standard temporary directory.
UDEV00241765 Rectangle Select drawing problems in the Animation Editor on Vista with the "Classic" theme. this occurs only when the Classic or Vista Basic theme, on nVidia. The red selection rectangle sometime apears to be clipped to a small region. Will be fixed in the next major release of XSI. Work around: use the default Vista theme instead. Selecting a curve also often causes the problem to be momentarily fixed.

Update

There is a workaround for the Aero Glass selection problem. Add the following to your %XSI_HOME%\Application\bin\setenv.bat file: set USE_OPENGL_TRACKER=1 This is not necessary for XSI 7.x and up.

Devils1stBorn
03-17-2011, 03:13 PM
Thanks for the support guys. Problems as I remembered while using Widows 7 Ultimate. Buttons would stop working after a while, rendering animation sequences would freeze the app. Let's say after a few hundred frames, especially with particles the app would freeze. Also, when I suffered a crash XSI would never launch properly again. You can see the borders of the app and everything within the borders would be transparent and you would see the desktop. I just got a kick arse laptop and will install to remember the other issues.

kawallo
03-17-2011, 08:37 PM
Foundation was discontinued product, even before the Autodesk acquisition.
Some months before, accidentally. I think it was an acquisition condition...

3DDave
03-18-2011, 12:11 AM
I have been running XSI 5.1 on Windows 7 (32 bit) for some time now with no issues. The only thing I had to do is turn off Aero. What video card are you using. I have found that earlier versions like 4 worked better with Nvidia Quadro cards. V5 and above work fine with GeForce cards.

Devils1stBorn
03-18-2011, 12:21 AM
I have been running XSI 5.1 on Windows 7 (32 bit) for some time now with no issues. The only thing I had to do is turn off Aero. What video card are you using. I have found that earlier versions like 4 worked better with Nvidia Quadro cards. V5 and above work fine with GeForce cards.

I noticed Windows 7 (32 bit) plays well with XSI 4 and company. It's when you jump into 64 bit that you get issues...I think. I have the Saver NP8120 with an SLI setup. Cards are GTX 285. This system is built on Clevo technology. I'm using the Windows classic theme. That should have disabled Aero, right? I'm new to 7, been using XP for years.

Devils1stBorn
03-18-2011, 12:58 AM
I was also thinking about making a small partition on my 500 gig drive and installing Windows 7 32 bit. Have 2 Windows versions...should fly, right?

ThE_JacO
03-18-2011, 02:04 AM
Some months before, accidentally. I think it was an acquisition condition...
And this is how rumors are born...
No, it most likely wasn't an acquisition condition, a lot of people involved in making that call weren't involved in the acquisition and were positively surprised when they got to know about it only shortly before it happened.

The only pricing restructuring that happened under AD was the price reduction of advanced and the culling of essentials to have their pricing aligned only to the network licensing or not, something that was done across the board for all their packages.

Foundation served its purpose, and was mowned when it became unsustainable. This was all under Avid.

Devils1stBorn
03-18-2011, 02:16 AM
How I wish we can just stay on topic.

CGTalk Moderation
03-18-2011, 02:16 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.