PDA

View Full Version : Shadowed Area Render Tree Node?

lakehaze
03-16-2011, 02:34 PM
Is there a render tree node for shadowed area? I want to use a y-axis incidence node to paint dust onto some objects, but I'd like the dust to not be drawn under overhangs, where the shadows would be at noon. There must be a node that can be connected to a light and use it's shadow area, right?

Thanks.

adrencg
03-16-2011, 03:02 PM
Couldn't you just paint a weight map where the shadows will be?

CiaranM
03-16-2011, 09:46 PM
Yes. The node you're looking for is called 'Shadow'.

lakehaze
03-17-2011, 05:05 AM
I could paint a weight map, I suppose, except that the dust is settling on collapsed building debris and wrecked cars. There are an uncountable number of noon-shadowed areas and painting them all would take more time than building the scene. It would be faster to paint the entire image by hand.

I wasn't able to connect the 'shadow' surface shader into my phong surface shader before, so I thought it was only able to plug into the material node, but after reading your cryptic suggestion, I tried again and found that I can plug it into the weight setting of a color mixer, which is what I need, thanks.

Unfortunately, I can't get it to do anything other than paint the entire surface white/black (not sure which atm). But the shadowed areas are not being treated differently than the lit areas. I imagine that it's because I haven't connected the noon-light to the shadow node, which I can't figure out how to do. Google and manual searches for shadow node/shader haven't returned any useful information on the specifics of the shadow node, mostly just toon stuff.

How do I connect a light to the shadow node?

Thanks

CGTalk Moderation
03-17-2011, 05:05 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.