PDA

View Full Version : character: Basketball Girl

dtkubina
10-21-2003, 09:52 PM
Here's a project I did for work, I used max 5 and photoshop. The only compositing was putting a more lit girl over a darker background.

D

Shaykai
10-21-2003, 10:21 PM
The quality of the picture is pretty low. But from what i can tell it just looks like you threw a picture on a lowpoly character. Around the face it it painfully obvious.
Of course maybe i'm wrong, and your just really really good at texturing. A higher res image would help.

Shaykai

Quester99
10-21-2003, 11:40 PM
I think she is well done, but her face looks like a picture (as in it was pasted on there). It looks kinda like a game model, I dunno if thats what you were going for or not.

b33mo
10-22-2003, 12:13 AM
i think u should work more on your body proportion, well that's what i think. i like ure texture, good job:)

dtkubina
10-22-2003, 12:20 AM
here's a closeup of her face, sorry jfor the low quality of the image but i think we're still limited to under 20k:surprised

Jb5k1
10-22-2003, 12:44 AM
don't scare me like that!

that face, sorry to say is quite erie looking, looks like mina suvari from the full bod shot, but up close looks like a pyscho biotch

you should try to make her look a little cuter by, uh, reposing her face
she looks like she's gonna eat somebody

otherwise, everything looks pretty good for the quality of the pics:applause: :wip:

Windmill
10-22-2003, 12:56 AM
haha.. ye i got quite a fright too when that popped up..

I agree her face is a bit unnerving.. (the eyes is what gets me especially).. that expression is quite hard though.. i find broad smiles very hard to get pleasant looking without looking scary or weird.. I think the trick to it may lie in the lighting (and eyes as well).

nice work though :applause:

MBeggar
10-22-2003, 01:06 AM
Wow, scary face. I dont think the red coloured eyes help either, and the grin on her face needs to be fixed.

ToFu
10-22-2003, 01:30 AM
Freaky as hell! I was bit sleepy but that image woke me up good.

It reminds me of victims from the Batman movie(the one with Joker)

Apollux
10-22-2003, 02:40 AM
I don't see what are you all complaining about.. but what I DO SEE is a quite strange THING on his hair .. is that a tiara?

First though it was a trick to cover alpha-mapped hair, but then realised she doesn't need such trick... so what it is?

Jungle_Tintin
10-22-2003, 07:53 AM
Mmm Strange clothes to make basketball. But anyway, the modelling seems good but she has a face of silly girl... Try to work on the texturing...:rolleyes:

Nice work, on modelling anyway.:beer:

AndyH
10-22-2003, 08:01 AM
Hm - i dont think the face is scary - its good to see an unusual looking smile - its different to the majority of CG these days.
One thing i'd change is the lighting or the shader on her eyes - she looks like she's 'underwater' or something - yknow, like a matt look to her eyes....
If she had brighter and shinier eyes it might eliminate the 'scary' problem and maker her look cute instead.
If people are saying it looks like a photo (with jpeg compression) then take it as a massive compliment!
Keep at it!

bobvork
10-22-2003, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by dtkubina
here's a closeup of her face, sorry jfor the low quality of the image but i think we're still limited to under 20k:surprised

You can upload more than 20k at theforumisdown.com... Now 50k still isnt that much, but its better than posting highly compressed pics like this :)

Tigerdog
10-22-2003, 12:09 PM
I actually think the face is preety good, The hair is the main problem. Just relax the smile a bit and it will be even better.

dtkubina
10-22-2003, 06:16 PM
Here she is again, this is actually a more of a close up on the far shot.
Thanks so much for the critz. I'm going off some references from a gril and ahe is actually smiling that way. I get the scary comment quite often on my work. If you guys could please help me nail down what i'm doing to make them look that way, i'd appreciate it.

D

Tigerdog
10-23-2003, 12:40 AM
I like it but Maybe round the shoulders a bit more, and relax the smile a tad.:)

allenatl
10-23-2003, 01:11 AM
Just a thought about the crazed look that everyone keeps mentioning: Try closing the eyes a little. Usually when someone
smiles broadly, their eyes start to squint a little. In contrast, a smile with wide-open eyes tends to have that psycho look.

dtkubina
10-23-2003, 11:32 PM
Thanks guys i'll try it and post soon.

D

Jb5k1
10-24-2003, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by allenatl
Just a thought about the crazed look that everyone keeps mentioning: Try closing the eyes a little. Usually when someone
smiles broadly, their eyes start to squint a little. In contrast, a smile with wide-open eyes tends to have that psycho look.

very true, and the improvement was nice, but it looks like she put too much powder on her cheeks, nose and chin
darken those areas or change the lights a little, just an opinion
the eyebrows also look a little smudgy, but that may be the resolution

much much better tho

sbv20
10-24-2003, 01:22 AM
I'd like to see her try to play basketball in those shoes.

mikepolizos
10-24-2003, 08:52 AM
I like the model but to be true I dont't like the pose you give her!
Try to give a different pose!
Anyway it's a great model man! :) :) :)

dtkubina
10-24-2003, 04:47 PM
Thanks for the critz guys, yeah the shoes and the outfit for that matter aren't exactly appropriate, but thats the ref i was given. The same for the pose. Not too mention she would last 5 second in that environment.:scream:
Here she is again i closed her eyes slightly as well as brought the shoulder down. Let me know if this helps.

Thx,

D

Jb5k1
10-24-2003, 06:51 PM
i dont know if you intended it to be like this, but she looks like she's got a bit of an overbite, can we see some side shots of the head or something, and maybe some wires, i'd like to see the framework

much better than the original post tho

:applause:

Shaykai
10-24-2003, 07:18 PM
Can you post a different angle?

Shaykai

dtkubina
10-24-2003, 10:32 PM
here are some profiles

dtkubina
10-24-2003, 10:33 PM
and a wire kindof:shrug:

Jb5k1
10-25-2003, 03:00 AM
what method did you use, nurbs or spline cages??

if it's something else please specify, the model is really pretty good

Apollux
10-25-2003, 03:59 AM
Originally posted by Jb5k1
what method did you use, nurbs or spline cages??

if it's something else please specify, the model is really pretty good

Do I smell Blender ? That seems to be a level 2 sub-surf mesh with the "Wire" material option turned on.

dtkubina
10-27-2003, 05:29 PM
Hey, She actually started out as a box. But also she's gone through about 4 generations of refinements. And nope, not blender. Max 5.1.:scream:

Creamdog
10-27-2003, 05:55 PM
Hey everyone. This is actually my first post here. God, I'm nervous :surprised About the girl...This is a pretty strange model here. At first, like everyone else, I thought you photoshopped her head one, but apparantly you didn't, cause you show different angles and all. What i like about it, (hope I don't offend you by this) is that this girl is not going for standard, cosmetic surgery beauty. Her nose is a bit big, and her smile, well you see a bit too much flesh above the teeth for my taste. But that's actually good. Most people tend to think sexiness is in total beauty, but it's not, in my opinion. It makes the character more believable. Therefor I think I would make her expression a bit more non symmetrical. Pul her smile a little bit more up on one side, make one eye a bit narrower than the other. Also, I would give her some more make-up. She looks a bit ill. But, overall, she's got something captivating. Oh yeah, also, try to make the hair hang a little, it's too stiff.

Jb5k1
10-27-2003, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by Creamdog
. Pul her smile a little bit more up on one side, make one eye a bit narrower than the other.

welcome to the board, and that quote is like me, see for yourself

http://jb5k1.250free.com/julduh23.jpg

HOT DAMN!! i am just so sexy!!! :love: :D :buttrock:

(that was about 7:30 in the morning before school one day)

and no, that is not cg, but thanks for thinkin so

I'VE TAKEN THE PICTURE OUT....... IT WAS SCARING ME!

EdmX
10-27-2003, 07:37 PM
LOOKS GOOD MAN...

IS SHE RIGGED??

WILL BE NICE TO SEE HER PLAYING BASKETBALL.
SHE REMINDS ME A GAMES CHARACTER A BIT...

nice job

Jb5k1
10-28-2003, 12:14 AM
can you post a full shot of the whole scene with the new changes, you've just been showing little snippets since the first post

markoid
10-28-2003, 02:28 AM
I think one of the things that makes her look scarey is the skin texture - the greyish colour of the cheeks and nose makes her look umm..dead - maybe a touch of specularity so it don't look so ashen (powdered).And the pinkish colour in the hair looks too close to the skin colour imo.Other than that I reckon it looks good ;-)

dtkubina
10-28-2003, 05:52 PM
Yep, she is rigged. And when i get a chance i'll rerender her out with the full scene. It would be nice to see her animated. I haen't had the time to work on that maybe soon. And ii'll see what i can so about the expression and textures.

Thanks fer th e critz guys!!!:buttrock:

D

erikals
10-29-2003, 02:15 PM
I love her skin color, but, I agree that she looks sort of dead. I think there are two reaons for that. Her expression just looks to stiff, make the facial expression more asymetrical.

The skin color looks pail because her skin is way to bright comparred to the surrouding area/ the environment. This skin color is the one supermodels have in commercials, but remember that those supermodels are in a very heavily lighted scene. The colors of those supermodels would never be that bright in a scene that has less light.

Here's an example I made (hope it's ok)
-Glossy eyes, smaller eyes (not much but a little). Eyes have more color in the highlights
-A glow around the girl, skin saturation slightly reduced
-Mouth narrower, theeth brighter/whiter

I think she look a bit more alive this way, though she still could have some asymetry I guess. Another thing I noticed is that the eyes are not in the same position, but I'm not sure if that is a bad thing..

Great work :thumbsup:

http://home.no.net/erikals/cgtemp/Retouched.jpg
http://home.no.net/erikals/cgtemp/Retouched2.jpg

LuWeeWu
10-29-2003, 05:51 PM
I love this model. I think the reason the face looks creepy is because the teeth and gums color look to similar. they run together.It dosent seem like the eyes have eny specular highlights too. She would look more friendly and less creepy like this

Sceme
10-29-2003, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by Creamdog
Hey everyone. This is actually my first post here. God, I'm nervous :surprised About the girl...This is a pretty strange model here. At first, like everyone else, I thought you photoshopped her head one, but apparantly you didn't, cause you show different angles and all. What i like about it, (hope I don't offend you by this) is that this girl is not going for standard, cosmetic surgery beauty. Her nose is a bit big, and her smile, well you see a bit too much flesh above the teeth for my taste. But that's actually good. Most people tend to think sexiness is in total beauty, but it's not, in my opinion. It makes the character more believable. Therefor I think I would make her expression a bit more non symmetrical. Pul her smile a little bit more up on one side, make one eye a bit narrower than the other. Also, I would give her some more make-up. She looks a bit ill. But, overall, she's got something captivating. Oh yeah, also, try to make the hair hang a little, it's too stiff.

lol, your first post?:surprised
like u already. Because i totally agree u about always being "perfect body sexy chick"..those sux, boring already. I like these different kind of characters. They really have personality.
Good model, and texturing on the face. Yes, agree that smile should be tweaked a little bit. Keep it up. These kind of characters i love to see, something different.

kwaiky
10-29-2003, 08:35 PM
damn, great shame about the quality, but i like the idea... the arms look very thin around the wrists, and it looks like the hands disappear her hips (maybe make the pocket bulge a lil more :))

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 10:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.