PDA

View Full Version : Box modeling a Ford Focus ZX3

AppliedScience
03-16-2011, 06:00 AM
I have just recently gotten back into 3D and also made the switch to 3ds Max from Maya. I wanted to get my hands wet on a model of my car, a Ford Focus ZX3. I would welcome any advice on topology, edge flow, etc. I started modeling using the box technique from the side view using extrusions, adding loops, and moving vertices manually.

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh129/YourTransistor/CGTalk%20Posts/FordFocusSideWire.jpg

Here is the blueprints I was working from...

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh129/YourTransistor/CGTalk%20Posts/ford_focus_wrc.jpg

IRAFK
03-16-2011, 09:54 PM
I think you are using too much detail too early. Only use the minimum amount of Geo that you need to define the shapes while smoothed.

ngeowyunsin
04-18-2011, 03:56 AM
Dear AppliedScience :

How are you ?:)

Overall, your model topology is not bad, but it has some stuff that you need to improve.

( a ) Topology : Your Topolygy Mesh having too much faces and lines at the " base mesh " stage. It was a little confusing with the faces/ lines that is too closed together and it was useless on your topology. Try to make it simple and clean in order to develop more detail in the following step.

( b ) Faces : Here's some suggestion about working pipeline that i want to share with you.( Base Mesh --- Detailing --- High Poly )

I always have a guideline in my modeling process. Try to maintain those faces and you will control yourself perfectly with this information.

Base Mesh ( around 500 to 2000 quad poly ), High Poly ( around 2000 to 5000 quad poly ), if you want to bake a normal map, your faces can reach ( around 5000 to 10,000 quad poly ) maybe more.( It was depend on your computer's RAM and running speed.

( c ) Modeling Hard Surface Skills --- Sometimes, you can extract some of the pieces of your car's part and define more detail on it. It will more effecient to process the whole modeling. Combine them when you finished all the part. ( Remember, try to keep clean and quads face on your model. )

Here's is my portfolio link to my Ferrari Modeling Artwork, I hope it will help you in your project.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ngeowyunsin

I hope my post will help you in your modeling. :D

Anyway, wish all the best to your car project !!! Good Luck, Man !!! :beer:

AppliedScience
04-18-2011, 04:27 AM
Thanks! Giving me a poly count guideline will really help, and also the tip about extracting certain parts from the mesh to work on them individually. Good advice. Also, I really liked you car model as well!

ngeowyunsin
04-18-2011, 04:49 AM
Thanks,Man !!!:love: I'm glad to know that my suggestion is helpful to your artwork:applause:
Anyway, have fun in your Car Modeling !!! Your modeling should be awesome once you finished it. :thumbsup:
Good Luck !!!:thumbsup:

Thanks for liking my Ferrari Enzo too !!! :thumbsup:

darkstryder360
05-14-2011, 11:07 AM
Your guidelines for the base mesh being 4000 poly's is extremely low. Why would he want to bake a map onto the car I don't see the point unless he is modelling for a game?

I just finished a Ford Fiesta in my Portfolio that has a base mesh of 150,000 polygons, 450,000 in total.

I recommend just going all out on it. And those blueprints wont help as the car is a different shape around the front. I would recommend going through and finding side front and back shots and compiling them for better results.

http://www.netcarshow.com/search.htm?q=focus

IRAFK
05-16-2011, 09:54 PM
Your guidelines for the base mesh being 4000 poly's is extremely low. Why would he want to bake a map onto the car I don't see the point unless he is modelling for a game?

Well, some times that much detail can be a drain on lesser PCs, like mine. Especially if your rendering.

CGTalk Moderation
05-16-2011, 09:54 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.