PDA

View Full Version : Link me the Best Rigging Tutorials you got

Verinince
03-15-2011, 08:04 AM
Hello, guys, I'm following a digital tutors tutorial, and in some aspects, I'm a little bit dissatisfied. Honestly, I want to learn how they rigged the CGI Iron Man in the film. I'm desperate for a detailed in-depth tutorial that will show me how to rig professionally. Digital Tutors isn't giving me what I need. I refuse to settle for anything less than a professional rig. I want the over-all best of the best that will show me how to do this. After looking so long, I'm beginning to wonder if the knowledge on how to build a professional rig is even open to the public.

So again, I want to know how to rig just like the developers of Iron Man and Avatar and every other CGI intensive movie. So please, just link me the best 3DS Max rigging Tutorials you got, I don't care about the cost, I'm desperate just to get the knowledge for this. Thank you.

giordi
03-15-2011, 10:31 AM
dude you first need to learn the basic. then you mouve up with advanced things . digital tutors offer basing and advanced rigging dvd just check out the dvds. there are tons of informations to learn .
For rig iron man they used several tecniques that you can find in several different dvds. i dont think there is a specific dvds for ironman and avatar most likely because weta and other companies have their own copies of software , or custom version of it that are so different from the commercial version of maya 3ds xsi and so on .
I spoke with a guy that worked in the pipeline of the movie happy feet and i was shocked from what he said . they have complitely different system . and only way to learn that is work there

uiron
03-15-2011, 01:37 PM
, I'm beginning to wonder if the knowledge on how to build a professional rig is even open to the public.

it's not, at least not in one place, in a step-by-step tutorial.

MattRennie
03-15-2011, 02:09 PM
What everyone here has said is entirely true. I've been a rigger for over 10 years and I'm still learning every day. All complex rigs, when examined closely, are lots and lots of simple ideas connected together in a very creative fashion.

The only way to learn how to be able to build your own complex rigs (rather than just copy someone else's verbatim) is to learn as many of these different techniques and then when you need to rig something complex, you have all of these different techniques to build from.

Verinince
03-15-2011, 08:01 PM
dude you first need to learn the basic. then you mouve up with advanced things . digital tutors offer basing and advanced rigging dvd just check out the dvds. there are tons of informations to learn .
For rig iron man they used several tecniques that you can find in several different dvds. i dont think there is a specific dvds for ironman and avatar most likely because weta and other companies have their own copies of software , or custom version of it that are so different from the commercial version of maya 3ds xsi and so on .
I spoke with a guy that worked in the pipeline of the movie happy feet and i was shocked from what he said . they have complitely different system . and only way to learn that is work there

Thank you for the reply. I know everything from my Digital Tutors "Rigging for Production" and "Introduction to Rigging" videos. If you have anything close to professional rigging videos, please link them.

Verinince
03-15-2011, 08:02 PM
What everyone here has said is entirely true. I've been a rigger for over 10 years and I'm still learning every day. All complex rigs, when examined closely, are lots and lots of simple ideas connected together in a very creative fashion.

The only way to learn how to be able to build your own complex rigs (rather than just copy someone else's verbatim) is to learn as many of these different techniques and then when you need to rig something complex, you have all of these different techniques to build from.

I agree, and that's how it's been for a very long time for me. I've been looking for a set of very nice rigging tutorials for a long time.

giordi
03-15-2011, 10:03 PM
then check better digital tutors there are severa others rigging video like the cartoon char rig or chartoon veicle rigging dvd. also you can check gnomon , farnauth digital , animator friendly rig and art of rigging . just learn all the stuff in those dvds would take u months

eek
03-15-2011, 10:09 PM
Animator Friendly Rigging™ - Jason Schleifer

Verinince
03-16-2011, 12:40 AM
then check better digital tutors there are severa others rigging video like the cartoon char rig or chartoon veicle rigging dvd. also you can check gnomon , farnauth digital , animator friendly rig and art of rigging . just learn all the stuff in those dvds would take u months

Thank you, I will look into these.

TheRazorsEdge
03-16-2011, 12:01 PM
Forget about Digital Tutors!
Look up Jason Schleifer's "Animator Friendly Rigging (http://jasonschleifer.com/afr/)" Series! You'll have a hard time finding something better, I promise you. ;)
Fahrenheit Digital used to have a great series about production rigging. Not sure if that is still available for purchase. The Gnomon DVD's by Carlo Sansonetti are a good choice as well, but not quite as good as Jason Schleifer's AFR, if you ask me. It makes a good supplement to the latter though.

Cheers!

PS: Jason Scheifer works in Maya, but the principles easily apply to any other package.

LucentDreams
03-16-2011, 02:53 PM
Cant agree more on AFR being the key one to get. Jason's fast rigging presentation was a great one too, can't remember if he offers that one himself now. AS mentioned this easily adopts to any application, I applied everything I learned to working in Cinema 4D.

I highly recommend the Fahrenheit Digital ones if still available, a lot of good technical things int here and the weight painting, although really slow and tedious to watch, is probably the most thorough weighting tutorial I know of, it is usually a subject that is kind of summarized or glanced over and yet something people really struggle with.

The hyper real maya series has some good parts here and there though the live presentations were better than the DVD for things like learning about naming conventions and such, but again AFR even covers that subject matter some.

giordi
03-16-2011, 03:33 PM
AFR is really good because it covers deep a lot of stuff but not everything and you can find several other nice tecniques in digital tutors dvds. AFR is good but not the best solution for everything . some cases you might need different tecniques that AFR doesnt cover

eek
03-16-2011, 03:49 PM
PS: Jason Scheifer works in Maya, but the principles easily apply to any other package.

They do ;)

Frumsylgu
03-16-2011, 04:49 PM
If you're looking to get into rigging professionally, I'd recommend checking out http://www.riggingdojo.com/ , an online school (somewhat like AnimationMentor) for rigging.

giordi
03-16-2011, 07:15 PM
If you're looking to get into rigging professionally, I'd recommend checking out http://www.riggingdojo.com/ , an online school (somewhat like AnimationMentor) for rigging.
rigging dojo is something really cool . i mailed them a while ago willing to know in more detail the shedule of courses and they said .. there is no shedule when you start the course you make the schedule with the theacher so you will learn what you want

TheRazorsEdge
03-17-2011, 10:54 AM
AFR is really good because it covers deep a lot of stuff but not everything and you can find several other nice tecniques in digital tutors dvds. AFR is good but not the best solution for everything . some cases you might need different tecniques that AFR doesnt cover

Have you ever tried to animate for production with a Digital Tutors rig? AFR tells you everything you need to know to get going with a solid rig. For additional tech info on skinning and other advanced features the Gnomon, HyperReal-Series and Fahrenheit DVD's are great along with some other small tuts available freely online ie by Sean Nolan, Sylvain Cote etc.
Digital Tutors provide a basic educational intro, no more, no less. If someone gave me a rig like theirs to animate with for production, I throw it back in their faces, to be frank. Their so-called "production-rig" has none of the advanced features sorely needed for production. Heck, even the model they use along with it does not even remotely qualify as a production model. ;)

Cheers!

giordi
03-17-2011, 01:13 PM
if u read the stuff i wrothe above we said that rigging is knowledge . so more a rigger knows more he can fit his rig in every situation . yeah many rig made by digitalturos are pretty basic . (last dvd not so basic tho) but i those dvds there are some tip and thecniques that have not been covered in other dvds so i will say if you can watch it you can still learn something you dont know about rigging .

Verinince
03-17-2011, 09:26 PM
Forget about Digital Tutors!
Look up Jason Schleifer's "Animator Friendly Rigging (http://jasonschleifer.com/afr/)" Series! You'll have a hard time finding something better, I promise you. ;)
Fahrenheit Digital used to have a great series about production rigging. Not sure if that is still available for purchase. The Gnomon DVD's by Carlo Sansonetti are a good choice as well, but not quite as good as Jason Schleifer's AFR, if you ask me. It makes a good supplement to the latter though.

Cheers!

Hello, I've been away for day or so. These tutorials look pretty good, I'll try them, thanks a lot and I appreciate it.

Verinince
03-17-2011, 09:28 PM
Have you ever tried to animate for production with a Digital Tutors rig? AFR tells you everything you need to know to get going with a solid rig. For additional tech info on skinning and other advanced features the Gnomon, HyperReal-Series and Fahrenheit DVD's are great along with some other small tuts available freely online ie by Sean Nolan, Sylvain Cote etc.
Digital Tutors provide a basic educational intro, no more, no less. If someone gave me a rig like theirs to animate with for production, I throw it back in their faces, to be frank. Their so-called "production-rig" has none of the advanced features sorely needed for production. Heck, even the model they use along with it does not even remotely qualify as a production model. ;)

Cheers!

Thank you, Razors for thei nformation. You guys make me glad I came to this site.

CGTalk Moderation
03-17-2011, 09:28 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.