PDA

View Full Version : Create a mesh node without a transform

Aikiman
03-14-2011, 05:17 AM
Im totally missing something here, I cant seem to create a mesh node without a transform in Maya's UI or mel command.

CreateNode mesh; will create mesh with transform and I cant un-parent it by middle mouse dragging it in the outliner.

I just want the node only.

Cheers

kojala
03-14-2011, 09:33 AM
You cant have a shape/mesh node without transform node in maya.. thats just basics

theflash
03-14-2011, 10:31 AM
Did you try python API? The only case I can think of where you may need to create a shape node without transform node is to plug its output to another mesh node.

Robert Bateman
03-14-2011, 12:18 PM
Did you try python API? The only case I can think of where you may need to create a shape node without transform node is to plug its output to another mesh node.

As the kojala said, it can't be done. It doesn't matter what language you try and do this in, it just isn't supported by maya's DAG. It is impossible to have a DAG shape without a parent transform.

Aikiman
03-14-2011, 06:10 PM
Great thanks, you helped me figure out how to achieve what I needed and take a closer look at the relationship between the newly created mesh copy when you add a deformer to an object. It looks like it creates an instance that is parented under the same transform node as the original, I didnt know this.

To be honest I cant see why Maya wont allow you to do such a thing, create a mesh, create a construction node, create a transform and then hook them all up yourself. Maya is so automated sometimes.

Thanks.

NaughtyNathan
03-14-2011, 10:39 PM
...I cant see why Maya wont allow you to do such a thing, create a mesh, create a construction node, create a transform and then hook them all up yourself.
Maya will let you do this, you just have to do it in the "correct" "logical" order... Transform first, then the mesh (-parent $transform) then the construction node, connected into the mesh .inMesh (or wherever)

:nathaN

Aikiman
03-14-2011, 11:58 PM
Maya will let you do this, you just have to do it in the "correct" "logical" order... Transform first, then the mesh (-parent $transform) then the construction node, connected into the mesh .inMesh (or wherever)

:nathaN

I see what you mean Nathan, but as a single command and without any parent flag, Maya will automatically create a transform for you to place it in your scene. All I want is the mesh node in the hypergraph, I dont want Maya to automatically assume I want it to show up in my scene.

Yes this is basic Maya knowledge as somebody said earlier, but Im not doing basic node connections.

isoparmB
03-15-2011, 01:16 PM
The reason why Maya creates transforms for newly created mesh nodes is that without them it won't know how to position your mesh components in the scene, it always assumes that the object is a drawable one which needs position information even if you didn't intend this. It just doesn't allow the case that you've described.

CGTalk Moderation
03-15-2011, 01:16 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.