PDA

View Full Version : Alien Suicide Bomber, or something

xyphid
03-13-2011, 03:37 PM
:D
So this is my first attempt at creating a game character, no concept or special idea in mind, done just for fun and to study. Learned allot during the process. Certainly wouldn't mind some opinions, thanks!

Base geometry poly-modelled in maya then imported into zbrush for sculpting and polypainting. UV's basically layed out with UV Master with poly groups in zbrush then tweaked a bit in maya. I didn't really know how to go about retopo so I used a combination of some base meshes of my sculpt and some freshly created geometry :arteest:

High Poly (ZBRUSH BPR)
http://img863.imageshack.us/img863/5017/alien.jpg

Low Poly Converted (MAYA)
http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/1060/aliengame.jpg

Maps
http://img811.imageshack.us/img811/236/mapsi.jpg

Btw I don't know why but the forum resizes the images and totally ****s up the colors and all, so if you're really interested better open these up

Cheers!

Pyke
03-14-2011, 11:14 AM
Hey man,

I cant really comment on the technicaly stuff (low poly makes my head hurt), but design wise, if he is an alien, why not make him even more alien? Right now he looks like a 'man in a suit' type of alien-I really think you could push the concept of an alien suicide bomber quite far.
Having the bomb surgically grated into him...or perhaps he is covered in ritualistic scaring/tattoo's?
If you are set on a humanoid, you can always give him a set of residual arms, which he uses to set off the detonator?

xyphid
03-14-2011, 08:26 PM
Yo Pyke

Thanks allot for the input! I can't agree more with the stuff you said, seems like overall the concept can be taken forward, I guess the fact I really created this just as a way of getting acquainted with the technical aspect of creating a game character is only half of an excuse.
In fact, I never really thought of this guy as a suicide bomber, not until a friend came by and said, dude, that's an alien suicide bomber right? I was like ummm, sure :D
Really dig the idea of extra arms, maybe small crooked ones to detonate the bomb, with your permission I might fiddle with it later on if I get back to this guy.

Cheers!

jekyll
03-15-2011, 01:39 AM
Nice work.
I too think he's not alien enough. Only the head looks alien, and that looks a bit protoss. When I think alien suicide bomber I think of the zerg anyway. lol

You can do all sorts of things with this concept. How about a small gremlin alien? In other words, you can change the proportions, add limbs, or other things.

What about a guy who looks like an elephant seal? 2 legs, obese body and jowls like a bulldog? With an elephant seal trunk? Or an insectoid? With a hive mind they don't care about the individual. "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. Or the one." (Had to throw a trek reference in somewhere!)

CGTalk Moderation
03-15-2011, 01:39 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.