PDA

View Full Version : ALIENWARE Challenge Entry: Dagnis Krūmiņš

cgmonster
10-21-2003, 06:51 PM
Dagnis Krūmiņš has entered the ALIENWARE Challenge.

Criogen
10-21-2003, 07:06 PM
Veelu veiksmi tautieshiem :)

cgmonster
10-23-2003, 04:36 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/3/265/265_1066923380_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/3/265/265_1066923380_large.jpg)

Hi there, just a quick skech, trying to get some ideas out of my mind, I would apriciate any coments and sugestions to make this one beter, thanks

zbgump
10-23-2003, 04:56 PM
The colors at the bottom look a bit muddied, perhaps you should simplify the color scheme down there; im not sure.

The shapes justting out of the "floor" are interesting, but the ones on the right look a bit too much like ships floating in an ocean; might want to :"alien" that up a bit.

The shapes in the sky are very interesting to me; I think I'm speculating about some possible interaction between the shapes in the ground and the sky.

I think you should do anothe version or two, to make it a bit more clear what this will be when it becomes 3d.

Keep going! :thumbsup:

cgmonster
10-23-2003, 05:19 PM
thanks zbgump for sugestions, you are helping a lot of people in this challange, thank you for that :).

the idea was that sky alien structures somehow using and sucking energy out of the ground life form and transfering it to the sky somehow. I can't figure out is the sky parasit like or is it symbiosis of two worlds. I'll make some more skeches soon, waiting for more sugestions :)

juanitopablito
10-23-2003, 05:37 PM
It's funny to see how many concepts are based on parasite-sucking-energy themes (actually I was thinking along those lines too, maybe I'll stick to it, maybe not). The ceiling thingies look cool to me, but I agree with zbgump, the colors in the floor somewhat shadow the other elements in your comp. Otherwise, pretty cool sketch. I'm looking forward to see how this develops.

cgmonster
10-23-2003, 06:14 PM
thanks man, will try to work on this tonight, you think the ground colors are too saturated and light?

juanitopablito
10-23-2003, 06:45 PM
I don't really know how to define the feel I get from your colors, I don't know much about color theory, but here's a shot. The foremost red swirling things seems to swallow your elements and it's not very interesting per-se right now. The tentacle-like objects should be more noticeable. Also, the blue wisps coming out of the red, are too faint to be distinguished and identified. Suggestions: Look at the back of your terrain (or water or gas or liquid or whatever it is), you have a strip of nice orange tones with tinges of red. That scheme seems better to me and has a nice contrast with your structures. Remark on the flow of your element, does it have whirpools? Does it run in a specific direction?, Is the current smooth or strong? And the tentacle things, I'd be more attracted to them if I could see them better.
I know it's just a sketch, and it's on it's early stages. I know it'll be great when finished, just thought a few ideas might be helpful along the way. If they are, then I did my job well.
:D
Keep it up!

cgmonster
10-24-2003, 11:39 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/3/265/265_1067035175_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/3/265/265_1067035175_large.jpg)

at last second one, don't know is this one good enough to stick with, so waiting for your comments and sugestions, thanks.

Omnicrola
10-25-2003, 05:24 AM
I like the second concept a lot better than the first. The blue hues everywhere makes it a lot less to chaotic. For the sake of variety, it would be nice to have a little bit of color somewhere, perhaps on the overhead lights, but I definatly like the second one better.

zbgump
10-25-2003, 05:30 AM
The mono- color is a much more pleasing image.

I like how the towers are emitting sort of a "matrix field" or something. Looks as if it could be a planetary force field, or some sort of futuristic power lines. This piece feels as if it has a clearer concept begind it, although it is unclear what the concept is... which is a good thing! (in my opinion)

cgmonster
10-25-2003, 03:06 PM
Thanks zbgump & Omnicrola for your coments, I think I'll make this skech in portret style, because I red that they prefer that, will it look beter that way? Don't know yet...

cgmonster
11-02-2003, 11:52 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/3/265/265_1067817132_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/challenge/entries/3/265/265_1067817132_large.jpg)

final sketch, I think it's time to start modeling and texturing part of this challenge, so tell me what you think about this one. I'll try to explain what I have made here. All sky is some kind of biological allien life form, maybee some large plant. Towers in the sky are its egg making machines, when eggs are ready they detach themselfes and fall.

Hope you understand my bad english :)

adr
11-02-2003, 11:58 PM
the colors are great, and the concept too, very good work .Maybe you can put away the camera to see the size of this alien form.

Keep the good work

:)

cgmonster
11-03-2003, 12:01 AM
Thanks adr, I'll try it :beer:

incher00
11-03-2003, 12:13 AM
the concpet art is striking. very attractive design on the alien.

i have some logistical questions though; 1. where are the eggs falling to? 2. is it an egg of the alien/sky/tower thing? I would guess it is because species almost never lay eggs for other species. If that's the case, when these eggs, and it looks like there are a lot, land on whatever it is they are going to land on, do they grow into other tower/sky/aliens? it might be cool to show the land and have baby tower/sky/aliens on the ground, or maybe they lay so many eggs because they have a natural predator. hmmm? just food for thought.

Regardless, it does not have to make sense to us, that's why it's alien! I was just being a nerd and asking nerdy questions. Your artwork has piqued my curiosity.

also one more little question: are you thinking about putting subsurface scattering on the alien? In my opinion the red concept kinda leans towards that waxy, translucent look.

Keep up the great work. you've made great progress on this great concept!

rock on!

Designer2
11-03-2003, 12:59 AM
Originally posted by incher00
the concpet art is striking. very attractive design on the alien.

i have some logistical questions though; 1. where are the eggs falling to? 2. is it an egg of the alien/sky/tower thing? I would guess it is because species almost never lay eggs for other species. If that's the case, when these eggs, and it looks like there are a lot, land on whatever it is they are going to land on, do they grow into other tower/sky/aliens? it might be cool to show the land and have baby tower/sky/aliens on the ground, or maybe they lay so many eggs because they have a natural predator. hmmm? just food for thought.

Regardless, it does not have to make sense to us, that's why it's alien! I was just being a nerd and asking nerdy questions. Your artwork has piqued my curiosity.

also one more little question: are you thinking about putting subsurface scattering on the alien? In my opinion the red concept kinda leans towards that waxy, translucent look.

Keep up the great work. you've made great progress on this great concept!

rock on!

I agree with Phillip,

carry on,:thumbsup:

cgmonster
11-03-2003, 11:58 AM
incher00 thanks for your feedback and questions,

"maybe they lay so many eggs because they have a natural predator. hmmm? just food for thought"

I will think about this, liked your idea that towers are feeding other life forms on the ground, but in contest instructions they told "The location where you stand seems to be moving and it is difficult to comprehend its function or intent", so maybee it's not so necesary to know exacly why this all is happening, but I'll think about all this (thanks to you I have some ideas) :)

About that translucent thing, yeah your right, I was thinking the same, but I guess it will take to much time to render in print resolution with sss, so mabee I'll use some kind of fake of it.

rock on! :beer:

KOryH
11-03-2003, 10:46 PM
I like the feling of the last one.
ther is so much weight in the composition.
I am looking forward to seeing this progress.

dixit13
11-04-2003, 08:52 AM
your final concept sketch is very-very nice , but donít stuck-up with the sucking energy from the ground cause its sucks & no more egg shitt tooooo...:) ......anyways at least your concept is better and not going after the landscape thing as other peoples are making treez like creatures etc. i think they misunderstood the meaning of landscape with context to the aliens. Well u are going in right direction, try to show more of the surroundings etc.....................hope u can make some sense out of this....

nice work ...N keep it up :applause:

Powell
11-04-2003, 09:45 AM
"but donít stuck-up with the sucking energy from the ground cause its sucks..."

wow!...thats 3 sucks in 1 post:buttrock:

RKurczewski
11-04-2003, 10:28 AM
I do not think You should care about physics or probability- we are asked to put this two things away so most of the comments that somthing is impossible unrealistic and so on are just... not fitting guidelines. We are ment to be unrealistic this time.

cgmonster
11-04-2003, 05:03 PM
KOryH: Thanks, I'm checking your entry too, wery good work so far, keep it up

dixit13: guess I'll have to leave that sucking egg things, and start to think not so tradicional :), tanks for your sugestion

_RK_: it's hard to bee unrealistic, cause we are surrounded with wery realistic real world :), so we can only try to do our best

eska
01-07-2004, 12:35 AM
Excellent.
I like everything.
Just keep the mind flowing:bowdown:

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 11:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.