PDA

View Full Version : nCloth nConstraint - Point to surface

cdavidzap
03-12-2011, 10:41 AM
Hey guys, I'm hoping someone might be able to give me a clue about trouble I'm having constraining vertex points to a surface in Maya.

Right now, I made a test scene dropping a cloth onto a surface like a table cloth. After I adjusted the attributes of the cloth to my liking, I tried to apply a point to surface constraint to an area of the cloth, but it doesn't work. Instead of constraining the vertex points I selected, it constrains two vertexes in that area and one in a far corner of the cloth.

What gives? Does anybody know what I am doing wrong? I go to the first frame, before doing anything, and I've tried saving the file after getting the cloth right, then quiting Maya, opening the file again, and then applying the constraint. It keeps doing the same thing over and over.

HowardM
03-12-2011, 11:52 AM
Workflow or Bug, let Duncan decide ;)
You are suppose to select the verts on the Input Mesh, not the Output Mesh, although I swear sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt on the OM... same thing when you want to replace verts or add members...

IMHO I think its a silly workflow as you seldomly have the IM visible... but since you can res up the OM, or do other things to it, I can see why it needs to be done.... just think somehow it could of been programmed better to just remember history or go down the line if you use OM...

kyleb2112
03-12-2011, 03:21 PM
Did you delete history before you turned your model into nCloth? Having modeling nodes in there could definitely screw you up.
Also check that you don't have extraneous dynamicConstraint nodes hanging out in the outliner. They're sneaky little bastards that don't always display consistently, at least on my graphics cards. And check menu item nSolver-->Assign Solver to make sure you've got only one nucleus node there. It's surprisingly easy to add a new nucleus node by accident.

cdavidzap
03-13-2011, 07:08 AM
Thanks HowardM. I still get a little confused with the input/output terminology, but I followed the directions that Maya gives for this kind of setup, and I selected the vertexes on the cloth first. I've already tried selecting the surface first, and then the vertexes, but it still did the same thing.

It looks like the problem was what Kyleb2112 has suggested with the history. I didn't think I would have had to delete the history since it was just a simple plane, but when I did everything over again with the history deleted first, it worked.

cdavidzap
03-13-2011, 07:18 AM
Thanks kyleb2112 for the tip. Apparently it was the history that was the problem. I appreciate the help.

john_homer
03-14-2011, 08:55 AM
Workflow or Bug, let Duncan decide ;)
You are suppose to select the verts on the Input Mesh, not the Output Mesh,

I've been creating constraints by selecting verts on the outputMesh every day since nCloth's release and had no issues.. so i recommend that ;)

also never had issues with selecting or replacing members

I have never heard of selecting points on the inPutMesh cor constraints... where does it say to do this?

btw. the verts in a constraint are just listed in an attribute in the nComponent node. so it makes sense (kind of) that they get messed up if you have live history that modifies the vert count

.j

Castius
03-14-2011, 05:47 PM
John he is talking about selecting verts on the input mesh in the case where you have applied a mesh smooth or other topology change to the output mesh.

I do everything in my power to never apply nodes to the output mesh. I always duplicate the mesh and connect the outMesh to the inmesh. Then i only work on the duplicate for any changes to the mesh. This keeps your simulation separate for your desired output. Something i feel is absolutely necessary. To keep yourself sain.

john_homer
03-15-2011, 01:22 AM
John he is talking about selecting verts on the input mesh in the case where you have applied a mesh smooth or other topology change to the output mesh.
oh, right, makes more sense ;)

I always duplicate the mesh and connect the outMesh to the inmesh. Then i only work on the duplicate for any changes to the mesh. This keeps your simulation separate for your desired output. Something i feel is absolutely necessary. To keep yourself sain.

yep, exactly what I do.

.j

CGTalk Moderation
03-15-2011, 01:22 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.