PDA

View Full Version : From Blender to Softimage XSI

jsmataro
03-12-2011, 06:35 AM
Hello!
I would just like to ask people in the forum if anybody had an experience of importing files from Blender 2.49 to Softimage without losing UV maps, textures, materials, etc., that were made in Blender? What is the correct way of importing from Blender to Softimage?
From Blender, what I do is packed everything then export it as obj. Then people can then open it in Softimage by importing it as obj. Problem is if I open it (using softimage) in my pc, the texture is there, but if I sent it by email or transfer it via usb, the textures are not there.
Same is true if I export it as .xsi, or if I crosswalk via collada. I know I am doing it wrong.
Please help. Thanks!

bravmm
03-12-2011, 08:09 AM
.obj, .xsi or collada don't contain all the files, but just create references to the texture files.

You could try fbx, where you can -afaik- add the used textures to the file. But that could get big very quickly though. For all Autodesk apps the .fbx format could be a better solution as they push it even for exchanging data inbetween Softimage, Maya, Max and Mudbox.

You have to pack the exported file and the textures to get them across properly. Be aware of the fact that if the path of the folder structure isn't the same on the receiving end, the path of the textures will have to be manually corrected for them to show up. Some syncing in folder structure could save some hassle here.

hope this helps,

rob

jsmataro
03-12-2011, 08:16 AM
. Be aware of the fact that if the path of the folder structure isn't the same on the receiving end, the path of the textures will have to be manually corrected for them to show up. Some syncing in folder structure could save some hassle here.

Thank you that is really helpful and the quoted line is insightful.

Thanks again!

Joel

bravmm
03-13-2011, 09:16 AM
Glad I could help out :D

When you have a working workflow, be sure to post it back here so other people can benefit from your experiences :beer:

good luck

rob

CGTalk Moderation
03-13-2011, 09:16 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.