PDA

View Full Version : Maya Without Wine

Apoclypse
10-21-2003, 05:38 PM
I have a question in regards to the linux version of Maya. I have seen that it uses wine and therefore is a little sluggish. My question is, wasn't maya origanally written on Irix if so doesn't that os use X and CDE. So why didn't they use the Irix code to port the software as opposed to the windows version. If I'm not mistaken GNOME is motif based so it should look and work almost exactly as the irix version.

I just want to know why they didn't use the irix base as opposed to the windows one.

rendermaniac
10-21-2003, 10:23 PM
For a start IRIX doesn't use CDE - it has it's own window magager 4Dwin (I think it's called that). Does it use wine?? Never heard of that before. I glanced briefly at the Maya 5 docs and it seems to use lesstiff - the free clone of motif.

I am sure you may be able to run the Windows version under wine, but why you would ever want to I don't know! The proper May for Linux interface is definitely using native widgets and not Windows ones.

Also GNOME is not motif based. It uses it's own widget library called Gtk (Gimp Tool Kit) which originally was designed for Gimp. Motif is a commercial windowing system (and pretty ancient).

Simon

elam
10-22-2003, 02:34 AM
What makes you think Maya uses Wine?

It's all 100% native Unix code as far as I know.
In fact, it's always been Unix, and ported to Windows. Maya's internal directory structures are Unix, ya know.

Apoclypse
10-22-2003, 03:49 PM
hmm i ggues I should have reserached this more but as far as I knew it was using wine. In fact ther were some complaints on this very forum about maya and wine. But thanks for clearing that up for me. I need to look into linux more. I just started using it about two weeks ago. And I'm in love ( though to be honest I had said the same thing about FreeBSD, and that i had only used for a month or so. I guess fundamentally I'm in love with UNIX.) Igeuss I will look this up.

elam
10-23-2003, 04:50 AM
By the way, my experience has been that all applications, at least on the 2d side, tend to run a little sluggishly compared to Windows. Has to do with the graphics subsystem, X, being a little old.

But in terms of rendering times and overall 3d perormance, I find that I that things are generally quicker with Linux.

UrbanFuturistic
10-23-2003, 07:22 AM
Originally posted by elam
What makes you think Maya uses Wine? The first port of Maya for Linux used Wine libs to port from Windows (easier to port from an OS on the same architecture I guess) but it never used the Wine runtime libraries, it was all statically linked.

It is, however, all native now.

regards, Paul

Apoclypse
10-24-2003, 06:16 PM
oh that was the problem i was refering to an older version of maya that used the wine libs but i didn't know that they actually fully ported it with the newer versions. Thanks for clearing that up though. I was just wondering why i had heard that maya was using wine when it already had a unix base to work from. But i guess it moot now

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 10:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.