PDA

View Full Version : shoulder placement for autorig?

fig
10-21-2003, 05:14 PM
i'm playing with the 4.0 demo and last night tried autorigging a really simple character. worked really well for the most part, i'm impressed :) minor problem tho, i'm getting some funky deformations in the shoulder area. any advice on where to place those shoulder/neck/collarbone joints to get things to bend nicely? thanks.

chris

Chewey
10-21-2003, 08:14 PM
I've acheived surprisingly good shoulder deformations using the auto rig by adding just two extra bones. I parent them to the upper chest/spine bone and have them placed on either side of the chest positioned from back to front. Just imagine your biped is wearing a bra (or a manziere) and the bones are placed as pointy tits. It will take a small amount of adjusting the placement and length of the bones to get the deformations looking just right but thankfully jumping in and out of setup mode makes the process pretty dang easy.

Rock on pmG!!!

tOd
10-21-2003, 08:39 PM
Cool thanks Chewey. I have been wondering about this myself. Ill give it a try. Yes set up mode is very sweet.

Ditto :buttrock: PMG

fig
10-21-2003, 08:53 PM
gracias chewey, i'll give it a try and see what i can figure out. the ease of set-up here is definitely making me think about investing in the full version :)

chris

dobermunk
10-21-2003, 09:01 PM
I'm currently playing with spherize effects but the way I have solved this previously is with a muscle bone placed just about on Chewey's pointy tits and heading to a null parented to the upper arm bone (placed a bit forward of it,). Keeps the whole geometry where you'd expect it and puffs it out a bit on compression.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 10:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.