PDA

View Full Version : What do you look for in a Rigging Reel?

KohnarForever
03-11-2011, 06:19 PM
Since I am currently working on revamping/updating my reel, I was wondering what everyone looked for in rigging reels. I know that I have seen several people with a show reel of just straight animations but never showing what was going on inside the model. I have also seen a lot of people mix and match show reels/technical reels and I have also seen just straight technical reels. What are your thoughts?

archanex
03-11-2011, 10:25 PM
I think the 3 most important things in a rigging reel are...

1. Great deformations - not just passable, but GREAT deformations

2. Fast rigs this is easy enough to hide in a reel, but having rigs that allow the animators to watch their animations in real time at least in SOME form is critical

3. Flexible rigs - Rigs that allow the animator a lot of flexibility and control, the amount of controls you have is just as important as how they are arranged, make sure it's easy for the animator to select the controls that he's going to use most often and don't clutter up the rig with tons of micro controllers that he won't ever use

nuternativ
03-12-2011, 12:15 AM
In my opinion it depends on who's seeing it,

if it is a technical guy...well, they expect the unexpected in your technical work. Something that never been done before to surprise and get him wonder how you did it.

if it is a non-technical guy...they want to see something in a more artistic and practicle way. Like, good deformations, difficult animation been done easily by your rig, user friendly rigs allowing animators fast playback and more controls. They don't want to know what's inside the hood, but how easy for him to use to get the shape he aims for.

I think to a good rigging reel should be a good blend between artistic and technical.

amazingjay
03-13-2011, 12:32 AM
2. Fast rigs this is easy enough to hide in a reel, but having rigs that allow the animators to watch their animations in real time at least in SOME form is critical

Can you elaborate on this item? What do you mean by "fast rigs?" Like a fast timelapse of rigging on the reel? A reel's length is usually 2 to 4 minutes.

archanex
03-13-2011, 12:39 AM
No sorry, I just mean fast performance from the rig. Usually rigging reels are sped up to keep it interesting, so because of this I was saying it's easy to hide the fact that a rig is slow on the reel. But I think it's important to have at least a stripped down version of the rig that can play animations in real time or very close to it.

hopefully that makes more sense?

CGTalk Moderation
03-13-2011, 12:39 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.