PDA

View Full Version : Art Direction

IndigoPanda
03-11-2011, 01:21 PM
Hi guys, I wanted to ask a question or two with relation to Art Direction. I usually focus mostly on actual rendering technique and things related to the process of making art work, not very much on what goes on one level above that. Deciding what to make, and why.

I am on a small team doing a student animation, and we have experienced overseers but they aren't going to be directing, just assisting where we lack experienced or knowledgeable people. So I've sort of been left to head up the concept area. I decided the premise of the story, and I'm letting the story development team handle that on their own.

But as the make-shift AD, I have to decide our visual style, but I'm not sure exactly how to go about that, I have been gathering some all sorts of reference images from other successful titles with similar subject matter. But that's where it ends.

Any ideas from any of you have ever been an AD or a lead in any department?

Lunatique
03-12-2011, 04:58 AM
You should read this article I wrote for Gamasutra on the art of art directing:
http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=17613

CGTalk Moderation
03-12-2011, 04:58 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.