PDA

View Full Version : What Are Animators Rigging Pet Peeves/Requitements?

funkymunky6537
03-10-2011, 10:40 PM
Hey Everyone,

For my Honours Project I am rigging a series of creature characters.

I want to make a list of all animators main frustrations with current rigging systems and address them to put together the ultimate method of rigging.

It would also be great to know things to aim for, the most useful features of rigs to help make an animators job run smoothly.

Any advice/comments/discussions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Marnie =]

archanex
03-12-2011, 06:39 AM
biggest personal frustrations with existing rigs

1.not enough control - especially with rigs where the character walks on his toes (t-rex or dog for example)
2. bad deformations
3. controls that are difficult to select
4. controls that are unnecessarily difficult to pose
5. slow rigs

Most useful features
1. fast rigs
2. IK/FK switching and matching
3. Soft IK
4. Pinnable body parts like knees and elbows (so that the character can kneel down on his knee for example) *Note this is a feature that is nice to have, but doesn't get used very often in practice
5. Mirroring
6. Controls that allow the animator to rotate, translate AND scale (even if you don't think they'll want to)
7. a tool for saving and loading animation on to a rig (bonus if it can do re targeting as well)

spacegroo
03-15-2011, 03:30 PM
Other pet peeves:
-rigs that require too much indirect manipulation. I like rigs that have the option to enter values in a channel box or animate via sliders, but when possible, I always prefer to translate/rotate bones and manipulators directly.
-rigs that are TOO complex.
-rigs with poor mirroring tools
-rigs with poor animation data management. Rigs need to be able to load and save animation data and poses easily.
-rigs that are too inflexible and not easily updatable. I.e. if half-way through a project, you realize you need to adjust your rig, you don't want to lose a ton of animation data.

KohnarForever
03-15-2011, 08:35 PM
3. Soft IK

I've never heard of Soft IK. Can you tell me what it does and how it helps the animator out?

eek
03-15-2011, 10:03 PM
I've never heard of Soft IK. Can you tell me what it does and how it helps the animator out?

It exponentially slows down an ik system as it aproaches its total length - to remove the *pop* hmmm... what are the worst things, ill try and break this down a little bit.

1. Slow interaction
2. In-flexibilty in posing
3.gimbal lock
4. niche control on a scene/shot basis - i.e "why cant i make the rig do this for this shot'
5. In-accesible f-curves (hidden,tucked away etc)
6.Controls overlapping/fighting with each other

Solutions:

The Standard Rig (my avatar):

1.gross transform of the torso
2.independence in the hip/chest with respect to the torso, and head with respect to the chest.
3.Isolation in orientation for the head and upper arm/legs in fk*
4.FK/IK Switching
5.Parent switching in ik controls for hands/feet*
6.Standard reverse/natural foot rig (roll,lift,side-to-side,spin)
7.Pose storing/mirroring

Note*. parent/isolation switching should be local/parent/world - with option to add new targets.

Extras/Advanced additions:
Stretch/length control for torso/arms/legs
Bend bow in arms/legs
Soft IK in arms/legs
Pinnable knees/elbows

Super Advance controls:
Saving/loading the rig .xml
scaling the rig
keyable pivots
multidirectional constraints

Xeash
03-17-2011, 09:45 PM
Saving/loading the rig .xml

You mean rebuilding rig from xml?

eek
03-18-2011, 04:10 PM
You mean rebuilding rig from xml?

I mean both ways, i.e building a template using splines, control objects etc - then saving it to xml or some sort of format. Then loading it in and rigging it.

Xeash
03-21-2011, 11:00 PM
Oh yes. Do a lot stuff like that myself.
Most interesting parts for any riggs pipeline guy is : what data you going to keep in xml, how you going to build rig, and how do you manage all that (and don't forget fun with assets versioning).

CGTalk Moderation
03-21-2011, 11:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.