PDA

View Full Version : need help with rendering a "lantern" light

KrishnanMungam
03-10-2011, 04:03 AM
Hi all, I will like to create a lantern and light it whereby the light source inside it has an blurry effect. I used transparency and transluency but i couldn't make the light source to be blurry.

This is the look I am trying to achieve

http://i52.tinypic.com/rsxvk2.jpg

What I did was I create a sphere mesh inside the lantern. I gave the sphere self-illumination to make it glow while I adjusted the translucency of the lantern, but I guess I am doing something wrong here regarding the shader of the lantern.

Can someone help me out here? Thanks a bunch!

ndeboar
03-10-2011, 04:30 AM
Two ideas:

-Have you tried sub surface scattering?
- Other option is to totally fake it, eg paint a luminance map.

KrishnanMungam
03-10-2011, 07:55 AM
luminance map seems to work well, thanks

either way, I found another solution to it too:
- I just applied falloff under self illumination color and turn on self illumination. after that, i just tuned the setting and turn on self illumination here ;)

CHRiTTeR
03-13-2011, 07:38 PM
luminance map seems to work well, thanks

either way, I found another solution to it too:
- I just applied falloff under self illumination color and turn on self illumination. after that, i just tuned the setting and turn on self illumination here ;)

that would be a lumination map ;)

mradfo21
03-14-2011, 06:56 PM
i had to pull off something like this the other day for work. We were making flags that needed to let light through because the fabric weave has small gaps, allowing light to come in from the background.

made a material thats has a translucent setup just like you'd expect. then i took an interpolated blurry refraction sample from the environment and mixed it ontop of the translucent material, 10% refraction, 90% flag. I then used a texture map to control the amount of refraction so that certain parts of the flag were let more light through than others.

so then if you took a sphere and gave it a material brighter than 1, i was testing it at like a value of 30, put the sphere behind the flag, it would bleed through depending on the texture map and you get exactly the result in that photo.

now i used an interpolated refraction because i got alot of grain otherwise and these guys hate long rendertimes. so it didnt blur based off of the distance of the object, which was a shame, but this solution will work, and look mighty pretty!

CGTalk Moderation
03-14-2011, 06:56 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.