PDA

View Full Version : Concept Art Methodologies towards Game Characters

NPacittiART
03-07-2011, 01:00 PM
I've previously posted a topic about the 3D concept art theory in games as part of my Honours Project at Abertay University Dundee (Scotland,UK). But from the last two months, I've decided to refine my research question into a more suitable approach in the attempt to explore into different types concept art methodologies towards developing game characters:

"In game art, what impact can 3D have on the concept art methodology for the design of game characters?”

So what I wanted to ask is what are your approaches to concept art development for characters in computer games?

Your own suggestions and thoughts will support my research towards writing up my project’s dissertation. I would be very grateful if you can take part in participating with my project's research. Your comments will then inform my research for my dissertation, and you can also receive a copy of my dissertation on request via email.

Thank you,

Nicandro Pacitti

Lunatique
03-09-2011, 04:27 AM
This is a pretty involved question, and you're essentially asking for insights that's built up with many years of professional experience. People have written entire books on this subject--in fact there are books you can buy that tackles this subject. Just search amazon.com and you'll find them. Scott Robertson's book is a good place to start, but there are others.

The considerations are numerous and complex, such as what the target audience is, what industry it is, for what medium, and for what genre. All these require different ways of thinking.

NPacittiART
03-21-2011, 03:03 PM
This is a pretty involved question, and you're essentially asking for insights that's built up with many years of professional experience. People have written entire books on this subject--in fact there are books you can buy that tackles this subject. Just search amazon.com and you'll find them. Scott Robertson's book is a good place to start, but there are others.

The considerations are numerous and complex, such as what the target audience is, what industry it is, for what medium, and for what genre. All these require different ways of thinking.

Hi,

Sorry for the long wait, just been busy withmy project.

Thanks for the links to the resources, and I'll defenitally look into those books too.

I also wanted to ask you a question if thats ok?

As an artist, if you're working on a character for any computer game (e.g. a monster or a steam punk soldier for a fantasy genre game), which concept approaches would you do this during your character developments? Would you o this in 2D with Photoshop or sketchbook, all in 3D with ZBrush/Maya, or would you do the hybrid approach (2D and 3D) during the development process?

Lunatique
03-21-2011, 03:46 PM
Considering that it's far faster and more convenient to work in 2D, and far easier to make any kind of changes during the conceptual stage, I don't see why anyone would use 3D unless they are extremely fast at it (like, inhumanly fast), can make changes as fast as a 2D artist simply redrawing/painting or even using the transform and liquify tool, or they are so experienced and trusted by their clients/bosses that they can do it in 3D and rarely have to make changes later. Some artists do build simple 3D to use as a foundation to paint on (either for the mathematically correct perspective or advanced lighting like global illumination). James Hawkins has in recent years been doing concept art in 3D, but that's extremely rare, and I think his long relationship with Epic Games has allowed that kind of trust.

CGTalk Moderation
03-21-2011, 03:46 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.